A King of Hammers inspired garage build

I haven't read through the entire thread, but how is the leg room gonna be in this bad boy? Look's slim.

Its not bad very close to what I had before... here is a pic that may give you a better idea.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG00556.jpg
    IMG00556.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 144
There we go! Great Pics that show your hard work. Now everyone can see your attention to detail in the design.

Good Work!!!!!

Can't wait to start on my 4 seater :) KRAWLER

Update:

Well I didn't get as much done as I had hoped but every tube counts in the end.

So I have the front of the chassis tacked in and HOLY COW the shock hoops are huge!! LOL :eek: but then again so are the King shocks... The pictures really don't show it in proportion IMO you will have to trust me when I say it looks pretty cool with the hood held up next to it! I still have some work to do on the nose and how it ties into the front stinger but that will have to wait for the steering unit at the end of the month (also thinking about pulling that radiator out of there to clean up the structure...).

The backside is starting to take shape as well. It truly is amazing how much the stock parts weight!! There is a ton of doubler plates on top of doubler plates on the stock chassis, looks like they just kept adding to it...

Well off to Cal. for work this week next update this weekend.

Cheers,
Brett

Attachments

• IMG00638.jpg
    IMG00638.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG00639.jpg
    IMG00639.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG00647.jpg
    IMG00647.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG00641.jpg
    IMG00641.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG00644.jpg
    IMG00644.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 152
Sorry for the radio silence... work is really starting to get in the way! LOL I have been out of state for work the last 7 weeks so I really dont have much of an update.

Update:
1.Rear chassis mod tacked up and ready for welding still need to remount the Muzzy should get that done tonight.
2. Relocate radiator
3. Rear shock hoops I still need to tie them in for lateral support
4. Frame mod i.e. tapper the leading 90deg corner (Great idea Ed)
5. Shock mount mock-up

My next step is to get the gussets and shock mounts designed and laser cut. Then order my axles so I can get this thing on its feet again!!

The current shock mock-up is giving 20in of wheel travel hard stop to stop. I will dial this back to about 17in and use limiting straps as well as the bump stops.

I hope to have more updates coming and get the energy back into this build. I am way behind my schedule to try and do King of Hammers so I will need to really turn it up!!

Cheers,

Brett

Attachments

• IMG00662.jpg
    IMG00662.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG00677.jpg
    IMG00677.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG00670.jpg
    IMG00670.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG00683.jpg
    IMG00683.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG00664.jpg
    IMG00664.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 105
More pic's

Attachments

• IMG00685.jpg
    IMG00685.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG00679.jpg
    IMG00679.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG00680.jpg
    IMG00680.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG00672.jpg
    IMG00672.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 87
Sorry for the radio silence... work is really starting to get in the way! LOL I have been out of state for work the last 7 weeks so I really dont have much of an update.

Update:
1.Rear chassis mod tacked up and ready for welding still need to remount the Muzzy should get that done tonight.
2. Relocate radiator
3. Rear shock hoops I still need to tie them in for lateral support
4. Frame mod i.e. tapper the leading 90deg corner (Great idea Ed)
5. Shock mount mock-up

My next step is to get the gussets and shock mounts designed and laser cut. Then order my axles so I can get this thing on its feet again!!

The current shock mock-up is giving 20in of wheel travel hard stop to stop. I will dial this back to about 17in and use limiting straps as well as the bump stops.

I hope to have more updates coming and get the energy back into this build. I am way behind my schedule to try and do King of Hammers so I will need to really turn it up!!

Cheers,

Brett

Be careful when using limit straps to control droop because they stretch. Hard to get 20 inches of wheel travel unless you are going super wide.

Brett, what length of shocks are you using and how much wider are the arms than stock
Looking really good, glad to see you back on it.

Be careful when using limit straps to control droop because they stretch. Hard to get 20 inches of wheel travel unless you are going super wide.

Yea it isn't easy to get that wheel travel but hell if I'm not going to give it a shot! :)

looking really good!! Thanks for posting the updates!

Thanks Joey its nice to be back at it!!

Brett, what length of shocks are you using and how much wider are the arms than stock
Looking really good, glad to see you back on it.

Hello Darryl,

I have to laugh because I am sure from the outside what I'm building must seem crazy... Yes the shocks are full size buggy King 2.0 14 inch stroke :) The long arm kit is of my own design and is a 6+ over with 3 forward and 3 back.
Thanks Darryl!

Cheers,
Brett

Yea it isn't easy to get that wheel travel but hell if I'm not going to give it a shot! :)

Thanks Joey its nice to be back at it!!

Hello Darryl,

I have to laugh because I am sure from the outside what I'm building must seem crazy... Yes the shocks are full size buggy King 2.0 14 inch stroke :) The long arm kit is of my own design and is a 6+ over with 3 forward and 3 back.
Thanks Darryl!

Cheers,
Brett

Not crazy Brett, you are building a good machine there. Sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands and build what the bg corporate attorneys and cost saver execs won't let the factories build.
It's looking really good though. Perhaps you might bring it to the King Of The Hammers in February.

Not crazy Brett, you are building a good machine there. Sometimes we have to take matters into our own hands and build what the bg corporate attorneys and cost saver execs won't let the factories build.
It's looking really good though. Perhaps you might bring it to the King Of The Hammers in February.

Thank you Darryl, yes the plan was and still is to run it in the UTV KoH 2011. I have a ton of work to get done on a tight budget but I am still very hopeful to make it.

Thanks again for your feedback and encouragement!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} </style> <![endif]--> Update:

The lack of activity on my build has been due to funding… LOL but good news a resent infusion of cash has given new life to my King of Hammer build!

I will have some progress to report over the next weeks and hope to finish in early December (at least that’s the plan). I never thought it would have taken so long!
Cheers,

Brett

Welcome back Bret! Race projects are nearly always behind schedule and over budget so welcome to the club and good luck with the rest of the build.

If you didn't hear we will going to the KOH event site the second weekend in November to teach event promoter Jeff Knoll what UTV's are capable of . Who knows maybe we can start some basic event layout ideas for the Feb event?

Just something to keep in mind, your going to have to use a super hi angle cv joint to get that much travel out of those a-arms. Either a Gorilla, or Tuner type set up, and those will cost you around $1800 for the complete set up. The stock cv joints will only allow you around 15" or so of travel at that length of arm before they will bind.

Build looks awesome though! Keep up the good work!

G-

Welcome back Bret! Race projects are nearly always behind schedule and over budget so welcome to the club and good luck with the rest of the build.

If you didn't hear we will going to the KOH event site the second weekend in November to teach event promoter Jeff Knoll what UTV's are capable of . Who knows maybe we can start some basic event layout ideas for the Feb event?

Yes I am new to the whole race build over budget and taking to long!! LOL

I am a little late in getting back to you about your second point but I have read your thread and I wish I was closer to take advantage of your offer!! I am very excited and killing myself to be ready for Feb 6 through the 12th K of H oh yea!!

Just something to keep in mind, your going to have to use a super hi angle cv joint to get that much travel out of those a-arms. Either a Gorilla, or Tuner type set up, and those will cost you around $1800 for the complete set up. The stock cv joints will only allow you around 15" or so of travel at that length of arm before they will bind.

Build looks awesome though! Keep up the good work!

G-

LSRGreg, I do appreciate your input here and I do see the limitation of the stock CV's!! I thought I had this in the bag because I in fact already own a full set of the Gorilla axles/ CV's. The PROBLEM is they are not good for full suspension travel. If you are looking for a super lift for deep mud and dont need the travel they may work ok... But what I found after taking my set apart (because I broke one in Maob) is a sub-par design to the automotive that are stock! See in the Gorilla axles the inner CV cage does NOT translate it is fixed out at the end of the housing (this is how they get the high angles I would guess) instead they have the splines sliding and you could imagine that a none bearing surface under load sliding the surface will break down and fatigue! This is what happen to mine the splines are twisted on the shaft and as soon as that happens it is the end because that twist will stop in from being able to slide binding the axle and compounding the problem.

So I am VERY unhappy with the fact I have spent $1800+ dollars on these axles and would NOT recommend them to anyone unless of course you don't need your suspension to move then you might be ok.

I am going to be using the stock CV's with Summer Brothers 300M axles!!!

Thank you for the compliments and encouragement!! I have been traveling a ton for work but hope to do some serious work in the next week so an Update is in the works!!

you rig look awesome. I think you are ready for an intercom.....

I will be very excited when I get to the point I am thinking of stuff like radios!! LOL and I will be sure to call you!

Thanks!

Yes I am new to the whole race build over budget and taking to long!! LOL

I am a little late in getting back to you about your second point but I have read your thread and I wish I was closer to take advantage of your offer!! I am very excited and killing myself to be ready for Feb 6 through the 12th K of H oh yea!!

LSRGreg, I do appreciate your input here and I do see the limitation of the stock CV's!! I thought I had this in the bag because I in fact already own a full set of the Gorilla axles/ CV's. The PROBLEM is they are not good for full suspension travel. If you are looking for a super lift for deep mud and dont need the travel they may work ok... But what I found after taking my set apart (because I broke one in Maob) is a sub-par design to the automotive that are stock! See in the Gorilla axles the inner CV cage does NOT translate it is fixed out at the end of the housing (this is how they get the high angles I would guess) instead they have the splines sliding and you could imagine that a none bearing surface under load sliding the surface will break down and fatigue! This is what happen to mine the splines are twisted on the shaft and as soon as that happens it is the end because that twist will stop in from being able to slide binding the axle and compounding the problem.

So I am VERY unhappy with the fact I have spent $1800+ dollars on these axles and would NOT recommend them to anyone unless of course you don't need your suspension to move then you might be ok.

I am going to be using the stock CV's with Summer Brothers 300M axles!!!

Thank you for the compliments and encouragement!! I have been traveling a ton for work but hope to do some serious work in the next week so an Update is in the works!!

We run the same type of set up in long travel buggies were the axle plunges inside of the cv joint all the time.On a buggy the cv is fixed on either end but on a utv it wants to pull the inner cv out of the diff.
You will have much better luck with stock cvs and good axles than gorillas.Ihad them once and would not own them again.
Everybody who does there own build is going to reinvent the wheel and get more travel than everyone else.The key is to get good usable travel.I have seen people build them were the frame hits the ground before the suspension bottoms out.

Update:

Well I am finally getting somewhere! I have some good momentum going after I received my Summer Brothers Axles (Thank you Jose they are awesome!!).
My biggest lesson/ learning so far I would have to say is wheel travel. Greg you are right in that it is difficult to get more than 15" but what I have found, is that it isn’t because of the CV's. In my design I was on the aggressive side (easy to do when your designing in the computer haha) but when the time came last night to tack weld my shock mounts and go through everything I found that most of the additional 3 inches of travel I was looking to get was 'UP' travel. This is only a problem when you have to make the call on what tire you are going to run... I was planning on putting some monster 32" tires on but in an effort to control the cost and scope I pulled back to use the 30" that I have. So with the tire picked I could then look at ‘Bottom-out’ Tatum you nailed it man!! I didn’t have enough ground clearance from the frame to the ground most of my travel I was getting on top of what everyone else gets was in up travel!! GOOD thing to learn now J so all in all I may have purchased a little too large of shock and had my head in the clouds but I will end with a total of 17†with 16 usable (at least that’s what I am strapping for).
Feels good to be building again! Here are some shots of the front end.

Cheers,
Brett

Attachments

• IMG00722.jpg
    IMG00722.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG00723.jpg
    IMG00723.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG00724.jpg
    IMG00724.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 88