A King of Hammers inspired garage build

I know what you mean it was Jon's (crowdog) build that did it for me!

:D

I cant wait to experience this awesome event!! Just to run in the KOH is going to be amazing.

Everyone that wants to see a King of the Hammers UTV race for 2011 better start letting Jeff and Dave of KOH know that they are planning on it. Not sure how hip there were on the UTV race in 2010. I think they were hoping for a much larger turnout.

Looks great i'm jealous I wish I had your talent.

Thanks roadiestar!

Everyone that wants to see a King of the Hammers UTV race for 2011 better start letting Jeff and Dave of KOH know that they are planning on it. Not sure how hip there were on the UTV race in 2010. I think they were hoping for a much larger turnout.

Jon, do you have contact info or is it whats on their website?

Everybody thats wanting to race needs to contact these guys ASAP!!! We cant afford to lose the KOH SXS RACE. Spectators should contact them aswell.
http://www.kingofthehammers.com/
KOH 2011

Update:

Well I finally got away from the computer and welded something LOL

Saturday morning I finished bending all the a-arm tubes and cutting them to length... the moment of truth was here, will the fixture work as designed?? :confused:

I am happy to say, yes it works perfectly :D! I was only able to get my front lower and upper arms built but I am very happy with how they turned out. Also if you are in the market for a tube notcher, I highly recommend the 'Notch Master' from JD Squared Inc it is worth every penny of the $270.00 dollars!!

Cheers,
Brett

Attachments

• IMG00606.jpg
    IMG00606.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG00609.jpg
    IMG00609.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG00613.jpg
    IMG00613.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG00615.jpg
    IMG00615.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG00617.jpg
    IMG00617.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 102
Emails / messages sent to both Dave and Jeff....

I'm building a car that I hope to run in KOH also...

IMG_3289.jpg

Emails / messages sent to both Dave and Jeff....

I'm building a car that I hope to run in KOH also...

IMG_3289.jpg

Darryl,
That is looking sweet!! Great lines on the cage I really like that! Are you doing a build thread? If so what is it called I would like to check it out...

Brett

Everybody thats wanting to race needs to contact these guys ASAP!!! We cant afford to lose the KOH SXS RACE. Spectators should contact them aswell.
King of the Hammers
KOH 2011

I just heard back from Jeff (KOH) he said that they will be giving it one more shot this next year to see if they can get better numbers...

So if we want this to be something we can look forward to each year we need everyone out there please!

Brett

Darryl,
That is looking sweet!! Great lines on the cage I really like that! Are you doing a build thread? If so what is it called I would like to check it out...

Brett

No build thread yet, I'm waiting on getting it a bit more done. It still needs to go to the welding shop, it's just tacked together for fit checking.
But I'm planning on doing a full build thread soon. It stands 65 inches tall with 13 inches GC, the new A-arms will move the rear wheels back 3 inches andthe front wheels forward 1. It'll be a +5 inch setup with expected 15 inches of travel. The fuel cell will be 10 inches lower than in the photos.
Lots of engine and transmission work going into it also.
The cage consists of 216ft of 1.75X.095 4130 Chromemoly and some DOM.
I'll keep you posted, sorry for the hi-jack, now back to your awesome build, I'm looking forward to more of yours...

No build thread yet, I'm waiting on getting it a bit more done. It still needs to go to the welding shop, it's just tacked together for fit checking.
But I'm planning on doing a full build thread soon. It stands 65 inches tall with 13 inches GC, the new A-arms will move the rear wheels back 3 inches andthe front wheels forward 1. It'll be a +5 inch setup with expected 15 inches of travel. The fuel cell will be 10 inches lower than in the photos.
Lots of engine and transmission work going into it also.
The cage consists of 216ft of 1.75X.095 4130 Chromemoly and some DOM.
I'll keep you posted, sorry for the hi-jack, now back to your awesome build, I'm looking forward to more of yours...

It's all good Darryl :D! That all sounds awesome it will make for a good read cant wait!

I love this thread!!!!!!!!

Thanks Joey! This week I am in California for work so I wont have to much to update on but this weekend I plan on finishing the A-arms and chassis (oh I took those silly bent tubes off the front LOL I think you will like the new stuff better)... I also need to send out my gusset / shock mount designs for laser quote. So much to do and so little time!

Cheers,

Brett

Update:

Well I finally got away from the computer and welded something LOL

Saturday morning I finished bending all the a-arm tubes and cutting them to length... the moment of truth was here, will the fixture work as designed?? :confused:

Cheers,
Brett

Nice touch Brett, your making it a front steer I see.

Nice touch Brett, your making it a front steer I see.

Thanks Reid,

You have a great eye for detail LOL yes I am planning on a front steer configuration.

Question for you: Who do I need to talk to about getting some BIG monster decals for this thing? I have a lot yet to do but I am going with green and black and want to fly the Kawi Monster big and proud! Please let me know if you can point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Brett

I think I know a guy that might be able to help. When you're ready give me some approx sizes and I'll see what can be done.

WOW!!!
Great Progress is being made on this build.
Just got back from Bretts and he's got 3 of the 4 sets of A Arms done. This is beyond garage built. He's got mad skills!!!
Rock clearance, Huge functional travel and.....just wait.

Come on Brett post some pics. You have to share, it's just to cool!

WOW!!!
Great Progress is being made on this build.
Just got back from Bretts and he's got 3 of the 4 sets of A Arms done. This is beyond garage built. He's got mad skills!!!
Rock clearance, Huge functional travel and.....just wait.

Come on Brett post some pics. You have to share, it's just to cool!

Aaron, thank you your to nice!! LOL

Brett

Update,

Ok we it may not look like much as been done sense my last update but I will assure you that I have been working my butt off! :D

My first swing at the A-arms fell short of what I wanted to see in the wheel travel. I really should have verified the working angel of the high miss alignment spacers on the hiem joints (this is what happens when you ASSUME!!!). The affective angel is only about 30 deg each way and I didn't have any bend in the A-arms to consider the starting point of this angel sooooo in short I redesigned my A-arms and ordered more tube and rebuild the front upper and lower. The results of which I am very pleased with!!!

Now with A-arms behind me on to finishing the chassis! I hope to have some good progress this week and weekend. I will be sure to post the pictures then!

Having a blast with this build and learning a ton!!!

Cheers,

Brett

Attachments

• IMG00627.jpg
    IMG00627.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG00626.jpg
    IMG00626.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG00625.jpg
    IMG00625.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG00633.jpg
    IMG00633.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG00630.jpg
    IMG00630.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 92
Couple more pictures....

In the one picture (sorry crappy cell phone shot) you can see the first A-arm design on the left not allowing the arm to travel below a certain point and on the right the new ones over 6 inch's of additional drop.. and a loss of only 2 inch's of up travel... Fun stuff :D

Attachments

• IMG00631.jpg
    IMG00631.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG00629.jpg
    IMG00629.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG00634.jpg
    IMG00634.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG00624.jpg
    IMG00624.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 71
I haven't read through the entire thread, but how is the leg room gonna be in this bad boy? Look's slim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back