Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

No, we took all the Race Ops folks on a pre-run/scout trip Friday and looked at it, it is(was) a visual marker for aircraft approaching a target range about 6 miles away, a heads up type marker, it was big and solid. I was down by your pits when Rob Mac came by on the first lap with the upper A arm damaged and looking like a stock car after hitting a wall. He did not go back out but his team and Geiser folks fixed for the next race, doubt they would of done it without the delay in truck races. It was 100 plus feet off the course but when the silt just hung in the air they were racing way off the lines to try and see. He ran really good for the second race. He could of done the race in a Pro-2 or 4.

I was told light pole. Specifically, the type contractors use to provide temporary lighting to areas with no provisions for it. There are people who seem to enjoy spreading bad or tragic news. Even if it is bad, bad tragic news. I didnt see him go back out after the incident, as his pits were just 2 or 3 stall away from ours. Did he indeed not go back out after the crash?

I am always looking for a bright side to disappointing events, and being a front runner for completing every mile of every race in this, our 2nd season in pro UTE's, is redemptive to say the least. It definitely gives me another drum to beat! For those tired of hearing the beat of my drum, worry not, for the boasting, comparing, judging, exposing and slamming of other entities and their shortfalls here will end with this seasons final race. I will have backed my smack with facts at that point, and only intend to post useful race and build info thereafter. Marc rides me pretty hard when I expose the weaker points of what a sponsor gives us. He says he is always on damage control. He has sponsors that date back more than 15 years, so I guess his loyalty over rides my honesty.

Agreed

So what was the cause of the "slow down"? Engine go into limp mode? Clutch issue?

NorthWestOffroad.net
Racing- Adventure - Fun
Maverick XRS
As I said, we have had the same problem now in two of our cars. It is immediate, and has no preliminary warnings attached. I will start on the green car, and assesing the problems on the black car tomorrow, as my day today is consumed with cleanup and re-organization after after a long week and race weekend. I only know that the three things our mexico pre runner and the car we raced yesterday have in common besides being of the identical make, model and year is this:

-They both have electronic devices installed to override the factory ecu safety settings.

-They both have seen a lot of Pemex

-They both ran fine the last time they were driven, only to run poorly the next time they were started, and when they perform poorly, there is no warning or other signs on the LCD display identifying a problem.

Rest assured, I will share our finding once the problem is solved, and it will be solved prior to the 1000.

Reid, being honest and Outright calling something crap is 2 different things brother. I have read some of your posts and thought to myself....did he really just post that?!?!?! Good job on the finish, you girls will definitely have a target on your back for B1K.;)
Yes, I have been out of line a few times, and when it was realized, I immediately went back and recanted or apologized for things that I have said. Us girls have had a target painted on our back since the beginning. Perhaps our hips are too small for a large enough target to be painted upon them?:rolleyes: Not in Mexico, my friend. Guns aren't allowed. Never in Mexico.

Hi Reid:
Thanks for the kind thoughts regarding my son. He is improving.

Brandon subbed for me at this race as others have subbed for him in the past. As JX Bill said we are a very tight team and we look out for each other. Eg...I subbed for Craig in the JX 1931 at the Mint this year after he incurred a head injury while riding a snowmobile. Nobody complained, and EVERYONE wished Craig a speedy recovery.

Brandon did a great job for the 'team' this past weekend and we all look forward to a great Baja 1000. We love racing UTV's and love the camaraderie of all of the teams. Bill said he had a great conversation with you this past weekend. Good stuff!

Cheers!

-MP

In the politically correct / polite backstabbing bullshit of a society we currently live in, I personally find Reid's candor and forthcoming's very refreshing.
Thanks for the accolades Frankie. One of the main reasons that I continue breathing life into this thread come from members such as yourself. Members who know they can get complete details of one teams journey, with out deception or selective content.

First and foremost, I post because it makes me feel important, and motivates me to pick my ass up off of the curb and become productive with my life once again. I'm sure that there are many reasons why my Chronicles have been, and continue to be, one of the busiest threads in the Underground (you're welcome Joey, by the way!). For some viewers, it falls into the "train wreck" analogy. I'm sure others may use it as a measuring stick of sorts. Perhaps some nervous sponsors keep an eye on it. Then, there is always the nay-sayers. Those who are awaiting our fall so they can pounce on our misfortunes. Obviously, our competition keeps a watchful eye. But aside from self worth, the factor that motivates me the most is the group of readers who are learning from our journey. Those potential fabricators or future racers who are hungry to learn from whatever source they can find, tips and general guidelines on designing and building their own car. Those avid weekenders who contemplate diverting a portion of their hard earned income towards the sport of off road racing to become a participant. Individually, I am relatively insignificant. As a team competing in one of the fastest growing classes in our sport, the content that I publish carries significant merit.

I try not to directly berate any entity by name, although it is sometimes obvious to whom my exposure (or attacks, if you'd rather) is directed towards. I am not politically correct in my postings because those formalities are all to abundant elsewhere on the web forums, and I just don't have space or tolerance in my life for beating around the bush. I am coarse, direct, and do not discriminate to whom my posts may affect. Perhaps I should be more sensitive to whom I refer to when the information that I post is not conducive to their interests.

Due to the flack I have received by others, but mostly the complaints that Marc claims to be getting from his sponsors, I will cut back on the content that is most likely the driving force behind my postings. The truth or facts of how a product performs, in my opinion, is instrumental in the progress of a given product. Let me cite an example here:

Unless someone can prove to me otherwise, I am confident that it was my input to engineers, along with the performance of our fat UTE, on a variety of courses and terrains, that pushed a certain UTV manufacturer to offer a better product to the general public. Yeah, I'm talking about the rear diff thing. The cost of belts is already prohibitive to many prospective UTV buyers, and burning through cv joints while trying to squeeze the maximum performance out of a factory built suspension system while getting the power to the ground does not set well with the consumer. If my "crapping" on ones product contributed to a better end result, then it is all good in the end, no?

The target on our back that some say I have been responsible for is a good thing. It will hopefully motivate other teams to rise to the occasion, and better their vehicles in an attempt to persevere over us. Or, it will just piss them off enough as to have them nerf us out of the next race, which is fine also. Good luck with that endeavor guys, but as I always say, Not In Mexico!

The performance/engine power problem we had last weekend was due to a cracked spark plug wire boot. Evidently, the rubber insulated boot becomes brittle in time, and cracks easily if distorted. The performance of the car was steadily declining in the first race,. Then, the 2nd race found the violation in the boot much worse, most likely due to the vibration and cooling down from the first race. You can feel the difference in flexibility when comparing a new wire against the old one. The wires were 2,000 miles old. My oversight.

The performance/engine power problem we had last weekend was due to a cracked spark plug wire boot. Evidently, the rubber insulated boot becomes brittle in time, and cracks easily if distorted. The performance of the car was steadily declining in the first race,. Then, the 2nd race found the violation in the boot much worse, most likely due to the vibration and cooling down from the first race. You can feel the difference in flexibility when comparing a new wire against the old one. The wires were 2,000 miles old. My oversight.

same problem we had with one of the can am.there cheap ass boots I wonder if they are still on back order. tell marc thanks lol

Bummer.
How soon before Alba offers BAM proof spark plug boot upgrade?

www.NorthwestOffroad.net

In the cleaning of our chase truck after last weeks event, I came across an old friend, my 12 year old digital camera. Yay!

I know some of you find my verbiage annoying, and like an adult men's magazine, you're in it for the pics. While others will extract the most that they can and put the two together, in order to receive the complete message or point that I am attempting to make. It is the latter that this particular post is seeking, even though the picture in this case, is worth a thousand words.

It has been said by readers, and stressed to me by Marc on numerous occasions, that I spend entirely too much time posting. For the record, it is now 6:25 a.m.

Dropping Numbers: Weight:
Horse power not withstanding, weight is one of the most talked about topics when we talk about racing UTV's. It is also a topic of much 'taboo', and I never got that.

-"How much do you think it weighs?", one might ask.
-"Do you think we can get it under 1700 pounds?"
-"Is there any way we can lighten it up, just a bit?".
-"Theirs is one of the most lightest cars out there".

These are common, yet valid questions when the average horse power to weight ratio of the cars in our class is a lofty 300% less than that of the premier vehicles in our sport.

My posts are already some of, if not the longest ones in the Underground, so I will not turn this into another manifesto. Suffice it to say that I build for purpose, and let the scales tip which ever way they may. I have yet to have the freedom to strip a car bare, and design from the ground up, and my next build will most likely be no exception. Therefore, I am only adding good metal on top of bad, only adding to the weight of the car as delivered by the manufacturer. If you are happy building the most basic, and affordable of cars for the purpose of joining an entry level class (which I believe ours started out to be), you will not be stripping the chassis down to just the frame rails. Instead, you will try to maintain the majority of what the OEM manufacturer provided to you, adding materials mostly for the purpose of meeting the safety requirements of the class.

This post in an example of that effort. We took a bone stock 2013 Maverick xrS 1000, and in a week and a half, turned it into a SCORE legal race car, performing as little mod's as we possibly could to have it ready in time for last weeks race. We felt that Marc could have, and should have, been able to keep up with the other cars in our class, given his background and the format and terrain of the event.
Unfortunately, a small crack in the insulation on the spark plug wire had us topping out at 60 mph at the start of the first race, and it deteriorated to 35 mph in the second race. So much for our proving grounds!

The car, when finished and race ready, weighed in at 1,689 pounds wet., 30% heavier than stock. At that weight, we carried only 2 spare belts on board, fire extinguishers, safety triangles, 2 camelbacks, and a first aid kit. Period. No jack, nor spare tire. No radio or GPS. Just the bare minimum. This is a good reference for those who want to do a basic build, for as little effort and money as possible. For reference, the Monster Mav tips the scales at 2,365 pounds, a whopping 82% or 1,000 lbs. heavier than the weight of a stock Maverick, as delivered by the manufacturer. We used stock rear wheels at all 4 corners, and put on 28" tires. Stole the fuel cell from the Monster Mav (an 18 gallon capacity Fuel Safe cell) , along with all of its plumbing, so we only had to make up one new line to make it fit. Replaced the stock tie rods and rear toe links with some of Johnny's aftermarket aluminum ones from UTV Inc. Welded on some 1" x 1/8" angle iron bash/deflector strips to the lower front leading edge of the rear a arms to protect them from collapsing under impact. Installed a factory rear upper a arm spreader angle to keep the upper rear inner pivot points from collapsing. Replaced the OEM seats with Beards tube-framed racing seats, and finally, I added 2 pieces of 1" x .065" wall tubing in the front structure, and approximately 60 feet of 1 1/2" x .095" wall 1026 DOM tubing for added roll cage support.

So, there you have it. At a glance, this is a bare minimum build to race in the 1900 Pro UTV class. I wanted to go more into weight, and how to functionally apply it to maximize performance and reliability, but as usual, this post is already taken too much time. Oh, by the way, it is now 7:15 a.m., so I guess I do spend a bit of time with these posts.:D

Attachments

• front a arm 008.jpg
    front a arm 008.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 37
Reid,
I'm sure everyone notices that you write extremely well with all the proper grammar, punctuation, spelling etc. Did you excel in English classes or take some journalism courses along the path of life? Have you given any consideration to starting a blog or somekind of website where you expand your writing in areas that interest you and build a following? Maybe even charge adverti$ers to po$t to your web$ite.....sort of how Joey D did when the started UTVunderground. Keep writing because I read and enjoy them all even when you are brutally honest. :D:D

Reid,
I'm sure everyone notices that you write extremely well with all the proper grammar, punctuation, spelling etc. Did you excel in English classes or take some journalism courses along the path of life? Have you given any consideration to starting a blog or somekind of website where you expand your writing in areas that interest you and build a following? Maybe even charge adverti$ers to po$t to your web$ite.....sort of how Joey D did when the started UTVunderground. Keep writing because I read and enjoy them all even when you are brutally honest. :D:D
Thanks Bill. Painful events in my past led me to believe that I didn't communicate well with others. So now, I am very articulate in getting my message across, as not to be misunderstood again. No classes or additional studies in English or literature. Although I have read and ammended many legal contracts in my days. Oh, and I'm a spelling bee champion, for what ever that's worth!

You're obviously very intelligent and it comes out in your writing in many ways. Keep it up you have a gift IMO!

Ha! I was the 8th grade spelling bee champ also......at St. Gregory's Catholic school a long. long time ago!

Oh look at the time....gotta go and catch the plane to Maui. Alooooohaaaaa!:)

You're obviously very intelligent and it comes out in your writing in many ways. Keep it up you have a gift IMO!

Ha! I was the 8th grade spelling bee champ also......at St. Gregory's Catholic school a long. long time ago!

usOh look at the time....gotta go and catch the plane to Maui. Alooooohaaaaa!:)
How about the 7th grade, were you in the bee then also? What word did you lose on? I won in the 7th grade by properly spelling daguerreotype. Get this, in the 8th grade, with only 3 contestants left, I lost by misspelling doom. No shit! What an idiot. It was so easy, it threw me off. I regret that I never asked them to use it in a sentence. Maui? Woweee!:cool:

How about the 7th grade, were you in the bee then also? What word did you lose on? I won in the 7th grade by properly spelling daguerreotype. Get this, in the 8th grade, with only 3 contestants left, I lost by misspelling doom. No shit! What an idiot. It was so easy, it threw me off. I regret that I never asked them to use it in a sentence. Maui? Woweee!:cool:

maui is above my pay grade:eek:

BIB BOAST WARNING!:

Well, it appears that my little thread here will have reached 20,000 views sometime today :eek:, which includes 40 members that contributed to the discussion. Because I always respond, of the 513 replies, mine accounts for 38% of them:(.

I never thought this journal would turn out to be one of the highest trafficked and most viewed threads on the Underground. It has averaged over 170 views per day since its inception only 4 short months ago:eek:. Thanks to everyone who spent the time to read my journal and attend my "learning room"!:) Hey Joey D, doesn't You Tube pay for that kind of traffic? Hmmmm..........................:rolleyes:

So if the 2seater is too short(84" or 88" on 2015) of a wheelbase and the 4seater is too long(113") wheelbase, what is the proverbial magic wheelbase?

Rules side note. When I read the score rules it said you can add 8", so is that a + or -?

Just still trying to gather info so I can get the correct utv to race stock for a season then build next season.

I owe you a beer. Or 10 Reid!! Thank you for your participation. It is welcomed and obviously well received!

Thanks for informative thread. Its nice to hear an unbiased opinion. Some threads just dump info out there with no back up, reasoning or truth.

So if the 2seater is too short(84" or 88" on 2015) of a wheelbase and the 4seater is too long(113") wheelbase, what is the proverbial magic wheelbase?

Rules side note. When I read the score rules it said you can add 8", so is that a + or -?

Just still trying to gather info so I can get the correct utv to race stock for a season then build next season.
-
Ironically, both the 2 seat Maverick, and the 4 seat Max miss my magic number for a desirable wheelbase by 14" or 15". The 2 seat 1000 cc Polaris RZR however, has a 90" wheelbase, +8 = 98". My opinion is that a 100" wheelbase would offer the best of both worlds. Maneuverability, and high speed stability. The BITD rules only say that the wheelbase must not exceed 8" over the stock dimension. I'm sure you could cut a longer frame down by the same amount, but you still cant hit my magic number. The new turbo car has an 88" wheelbase, but turbo's aren't allowed, and you can not run a motor other than what was delivered stock in a given vehicle.
So, my answer to your dilemma on which platform to build off of, well it will come as a shock to my loyal followers. If you have no contractual obligations, the XP1K is a great platform to build off of. Forget your snowmobile concerns. We race in the dry, dirty desert. There are a huge amount of aftermarket companies selling bolt on parts for the Polaris. From aesthetics, to competitive bolt-on suspension upgrades. Polaris always seem to match their competitors model year advancements, and then some. They don't pay as much contingency for the win as Can-am, nor do I think their drive train is as bullet proof. But overall, one can't deny the out of the box performance that they offer.

If you plan to race "stock" for a season, how stock are you talking about? You can race a nearly stock cage, and gas tank I hear in the worcs series. SCORE and BITD will require a cage of a given thickness and diameter, as well as it be welded 100%, so the stock cage will not fit the bill for them. They also require that you replace the stock gas tank with a fuel cell.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back