**ATTN: Racers/Teams** UTV Desert Rules Discussion

Just so everyone knows the nessie car has stock frame rails and suspension pickup pionts.When it was built for CORR it had a stock pass seat in it to comply with the rules even though you cant have a passenger.

The car would have to be widened to accomodate a full size seat due to the clutch being on the passenger side of the motor.There is no way I am cutting this car up.If I am not allowed to race it I will stick with local stuff and short course.

The current rules do state that there must be 2 seats and a driver and co-dog. So rzr 4 seat guys should be clear to go. The whole thread started way back from a few of us Kawa 840 guys just trying to get into the pro class so we didn't have to spend a bunch of money to down size to 800 cc, it wasn't much more than that. We all want to race, we want it to grow. If rules don't change for 2011, I am going to spend the money and downsize to 800 and save my bigger parts for the coming years. Theres lots of guys making good power out of 800cc. I would like to see it left as 2 classes, just want to see the cc's grow to maybe 850cc. 50cc difference is about 2.5 Cubic inches, about the size of your cell phone. Its not that it can make a whole lot of power with the difference, its that we already spent the money.

Here is the current rule section for BITD as based on the UTVRA Rules.
SECTION III Updated 1-1-2010
UTV and SR1 Class Rules and
Requirements
[FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Pro UTV Production Class definition:
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]The Pro UTV production class vehicles are built using production UTV’s, manufactured by registered companies that issues Vin #’s. Companies must produce a minimum number of units to be accepted. UTV’s must have 2 seats. OEM engines must be used. Maximum engine size is 800cc. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Note; [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Artic Cat Prowler 1000cc has been approved to compete. A minimum weight of 2100 lbs is required (this includes driver and navigator).
The Pro Class does have a points championship, a points championship fund, and an individual race purse.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Pro SR1 Class definition: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]The Pro SR1 class vehicles are built using a production UTV frame, A-arm suspension and an engine swap. Full custom built frames are allowed but must be built with the suspension mounting point dimensions that are the same as a current UTV. A maximum engine size 1000cc. No car engines. Must use Hood and Fenders from a UTV. Engines must be fully enclosed in aluminum.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Sportsman UTV/SR1 class: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]The Sportsman class is for any UTV/SR1 team that wants to race but does not care, to race for Championship points or prize money. The Sportsman class has lower entrée fees. Any other vehicles that are not built to the Pro UTV production class rules or the SR1 class rules, but are classified as a UTV or a SR1 by a UTVRA tech inspector will be allowed race in the Sportsman UTV/SR1 class.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]UTV and SR1 classification must be pre-approved before racing in the first event.
Minimum requirements to be classified as a UTV or SR1 are;
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Verdana][FONT=Verdana,Verdana]Max width outside of tire to outside of tire is 76" Vehicle wheel base must not exceed 8" over stock dimensions. No car engines. Max tire size is 30".
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Anything not built in compliance with the spirit of the class may be deemed ineligible to collect

And on a side note, Arctic Cat will be fielding at least one car in the BITD and SCORE series next year from what I understand. And there will be at least one other Arctic Cat in the BITD in 2011. So Arctic Cat is making a run at racing again with the Prowler.
I have no problem with the above rules as they stand, but open them up to include the Commander and other big bore machines.
I like the 2 person rule, but do realize that perhaps it should be revisited and be opened to single driver.
Hans, I understand totally what you say about the clutch casing being in the way, my Prowler XTZ was a nightmare to work around that. Once we figured out a way to make it work, now it's great. But squeezing a seat in between the casing and the side rail was tough.
Hope I can make Bluewater, but I have a Boy Scout Troop that has a campout planned that may preclude me from the race... wonder if scout rules would consider camping at Bluewater as our campout...Hmmm

This thread is very constructive.Everyone has brought up alot of good points.

With regard to the 1-2 or 4 passenger thing. When the rules were originally written, A driver and passenger were required primarily as a safety issue. From the very beginning there has been a major concern with the UTV's racing with larger and faster trucks & buggies. It was aggreed that having a driver and an observer in the car would be much safer. I will also agree that it does also stay "in the spirit" of the class. As for requiring 4 passengers in a four seat vehicle? that is just not logical. While it would be fun as hell it's just not logical. I feel that the one driver and one passsenger rule is safe logical and should stand.

As for Nessy? This one is tough. Speaking for my team, We would love to race with Nessy and in time I am sure we will. However, While Todd really instrumented a bitchen vehicle, I really don't think it can be deemed as a UTV let alone a "production" UTV. I think that when the rules were written to say that a the UTV must be built by a licenced manufacturer and have produced a minimum number of units I think they were thinking more than 3 or 4 Probably more like 3-4 thousand. Although the number of production units is not specified in the rules (something else to specify)

Anyway, We all have lots to think about here. What we need to focus on is a way to get these ideas consolidated, finalized, agreed upon and in writing so they can be implemented BEFORE the start of next season.

I think we would all like to have Corey jump in here and let's get everyone on a united front so we can grow this sport.

Corey?? You out there?

So we are entertaining the idea of opening up the current pro class to include the 1000cc motors with no weight restrictions?? Then question is will we lose current teams due to this?? If there are that many teams out there that want to race with big bore motors then why not a seperate class?? I see racers saying its not fair that a 660 has to race against a 1000cc and going somewhere else where they feel they can compete. How about just having a trophy and payback for the UTV overall winner?? This would also bring the sportsman into the competion for the overall. So we would all be racing against everybody in all classses for not only the class win and trophy but the overall win. You could also have and overall points champion.

How many UTV's are racing in Bluewater?? Why doesn't somebody bring a scale and voluntarily weigh every car to see if you can take the vehicle weight out of the equation (or add it in if needed). Then discuss rules accordingly. I am an advocate of maintaining a cc to weight ratio, keep a proper ratio and then everyones in one class. then let the racing be about race prep and driving capability, isn't that what everyone wants??

This thread is very constructive.Everyone has brought up alot of good points.

With regard to the 1-2 or 4 passenger thing. When the rules were originally written, A driver and passenger were required primarily as a safety issue. From the very beginning there has been a major concern with the UTV's racing with larger and faster trucks & buggies. It was aggreed that having a driver and an observer in the car would be much safer. I will also agree that it does also stay "in the spirit" of the class. As for requiring 4 passengers in a four seat vehicle? that is just not logical. While it would be fun as hell it's just not logical. I feel that the one driver and one passsenger rule is safe logical and should stand.

As for Nessy? This one is tough. Speaking for my team, We would love to race with Nessy and in time I am sure we will. However, While Todd really instrumented a bitchen vehicle, I really don't think it can be deemed as a UTV let alone a "production" UTV. I think that when the rules were written to say that a the UTV must be built by a licenced manufacturer and have produced a minimum number of units I think they were thinking more than 3 or 4 Probably more like 3-4 thousand. Although the number of production units is not specified in the rules (something else to specify)

Anyway, We all have lots to think about here. What we need to focus on is a way to get these ideas consolidated, finalized, agreed upon and in writing so they can be implemented BEFORE the start of next season.

I think we would all like to have Corey jump in here and let's get everyone on a united front so we can grow this sport.

Corey?? You out there?

The original nessy is a production UTV chassis,engine,diffs,etc that was originally built for short course.Most of these race vehicles have been stripped to the frame rails and built up from there.I would consider this to be much safer than stock.

If you have 2 people in the car thats 2 people to get run over or hurt in a crash so there is no logic in that rule.Sending the UTVs out in front of trucks and class 1 cars is the most dangerous thing you can do and that should also be taken into consideration.

Most of the real racers want to race against the best so I am all for leaving it up to you guys.

The original nessy is a production UTV chassis,engine,diffs,etc that was originally built for short course.Most of these race vehicles have been stripped to the frame rails and built up from there.I would consider this to be much safer than stock.

If you have 2 people in the car thats 2 people to get run over or hurt in a crash so there is no logic in that rule.Sending the UTVs out in front of trucks and class 1 cars is the most dangerous thing you can do and that should also be taken into consideration.

Most of the real racers want to race against the best so I am all for leaving it up to you guys.

My car is built much the same as Nessy. Stripped down to the OEM frame rails and then built back up from there. Much safer. Like I said, I would have no problem having Nessy in the Pro UTV class in BITD, it would only improve the competition, and to tell you the truth, if a manufacturer sees their cars constantly beat, then maybe they need to reconsider how they build them and what engines they use..it's the nature of the beast..

So we are entertaining the idea of opening up the current pro class to include the 1000cc motors with no weight restrictions?? Then question is will we lose current teams due to this?? If there are that many teams out there that want to race with big bore motors then why not a seperate class?? I see racers saying its not fair that a 660 has to race against a 1000cc and going somewhere else where they feel they can compete. How about just having a trophy and payback for the UTV overall winner?? This would also bring the sportsman into the competion for the overall. So we would all be racing against everybody in all classses for not only the class win and trophy but the overall win. You could also have and overall points champion.

Here is the 2010 BITD class as of today
Jason Murray - Rhino (current points leader) 4 races
Brandon Schueler- RZR 4 races
Sean Lindburg - Rhino (currently in Third points) 4 races
Jerome Vinagro- RZR 4 races
Yancey Reynolds-RZR 4 races
Brian Thomas - RZR 3 races
Corey Sappington- Rhino 3 races
Mike Cook-RZR (currently inactive) 3 races
Ricky Leard-RZR 3 races
Jeff Furnell-RZR 2 races
Ron Awtry- Redline 3 races
Lacreicia Beurrier-Kawi 2 races
Austin Anderson- RZR 2 races
Mike Lasher- Kawi 2 races
Pierre Perret- RZR (inactive) 1 race
Jim Creagan- Cat (inactive) 1 race

So today we have 12 active (or fairly active) racers in BITD made up of : 3 Rhinos, 2 Kawis, 1 Redline and 6 RZR's

Currently no 1000 cc cars racing. There are some supposedly waiting in the wings and some big bore kawi's out there. Who would like to see the class at 20 or even 30? I know I would. Right now the mighty little Rhino holds 1st & 3rd in points. Sort of throws the small motors can't be competitive thing out the window.

So let's look at the weight thing. First off, if you have a weight minimum you are efectively forcing some teams to make their car slower. At an average speed of 37mph that hardly seems to add a fun factor to the class. if you use the 2100 lb Arctic cat rule, that is 2.1 Lbs per c.c. (using advertised cc's) I don't know what kind of science went into coming up with that weight but let's say we use that.

04-07 Rhino-660 x 2.1 = 1386
08 + Rhino 700 X 2.1 = 1470
RZR-800 x 2.1 =1680
Kawi 750 X 2.1=1575
Arctic Cat 750 x2.1=1575
Redline ??
anything new x 2.1 = ??

This is complex! come on, we are just a bunch of desert racers!
Even after the weight thing you are still going to have to regulate cc's, If you bore your motor you have to weigh more?

Now don't forget that is WITH driver & Co-Driver which is not the right way to do it. There could be a 200lb swing between two sets of drivers in one car. Am I the only one who thinks that this would be a pain in the butt. Who is going to be at the finish at every race to post weigh every car? I would not expect Corey to do it. BITD ain't going to do it. So if you don't do it, guess what? we are going to cheat. I say no to weight restrictions. Let's build these cars to go as fast as we can. We still have to keep them safe but that is what tech should be for.

We still need to have the sportsman class and I say anything goes there (safety first)

We need to get all of these current racers on this thread and get their input.

Ricky Leard-RZR 3 races
Jeff Furnell-RZR 2 races

So today we have 12 active (or fairly active) racers in BITD made up of : 3 Rhinos, 2 Kawis, 1 Redline and 6 RZR's

Currently no 1000 cc cars racing. There are some supposedly waiting in the wings and some big bore kawi's out there. Who would like to see the class at 20 or even 30? I know I would. Right now the mighty little Rhino holds 1st & 3rd in points. Sort of throws the small motors can't be competitive thing out the window.

So let's look at the weight thing. First off, if you have a weight minimum you are efectively forcing some teams to make their car slower. At an average speed of 37mph that hardly seems to add a fun factor to the class. if you use the 2100 lb Arctic cat rule, that is 2.1 Lbs per c.c. (using advertised cc's) I don't know what kind of science went into coming up with that weight but let's say we use that.

RZR-800 x 2.1 =1680
Kawi 750 X 2.1=1575
Arctic Cat 750 x2.1=1575 (Should be 700, not 750)
Redline ??
anything new x 2.1 = ??

Even after the weight thing you are still going to have to regulate cc's, If you bore your motor you have to weigh more?

Now don't forget that is WITH driver & Co-Driver which is not the right way to do it. There could be a 200lb swing between two sets of drivers in one car. Am I the only one who thinks that this would be a pain in the butt. Who is going to be at the finish at every race to post weigh every car? I would not expect Corey to do it. BITD ain't going to do it. So if you don't do it, guess what? we are going to cheat. I say no to weight restrictions. Let's build these cars to go as fast as we can. We still have to keep them safe but that is what tech should be for.

We still need to have the sportsman class and I say anything goes there (safety first)

The Prowler XTX is a 700, not 750. Arctic Cat does have at least one team that I know of that is prepping right now to enter the fray in 2011 and potentially a 2nd team. Both running 951cc motors. My car will be done and will be running as many BITD races as my business schedule will allow.

Amen Hans, We only want to grow the class and make it more competitive! As for the 2 rider thing, I supose there is merit in both ideas. 2 people can be more aware of their surrondings (cars coming from behind) and yes 2 people would mean 2 involved in a crash. Until last years V2R the UTV's always started dead last. Since then we have started with the bikes and quads in all full field races. Since then our average speeds have increased by nearly 10 miles an hour. The courses are so much faster before the trucks it is amazing. This is again a double edge sword. At V2R last year we only got caught by a couple trucks on day one & two and day three we beat them to the finish. This year we got passed by about 9 trucks total. Prior to that we actually got passed by way more vehicles, mostly Guys who broke down early and were playing catch up. the worst part of starting behind the field is fighting to make the pit closing times if you have any trouble at all. Again we all need to build cars as safe as we can.

I say open it up to 1000cc for all UTVs until such a time that there are enough racers where two classes makes sense or the big bore stuff is just dominating and racing just isn't fair.

I really don't see horsepower as a deciding factor is UTV desert racing yet. It is more about prep and consistent/smart driving.

I would be OK with single racers, but would like to see the vehicles run with two seats in keeping the spirit of side x side vehicles.

And don't forget, this discussion is beyond just BITD. VORRA (and SNORE too?) will most likely use a lot of input here for their rules as well. It will also find its way over to King of the Hammers and Cal-Neva Extreme just to name a few others.

All im trying to point out is the potential issues that could arise. If we are trying to grow the sport lets make sure we dont push current racers away. Im all for opening up the class but if we gain 3 and lose 4 we havent really gained at all. I think most people that want a seperate class want it without weight restrictions. Leave the current pro class alone and then add another pro class 801-1000cc with no weight restrictions.
Ricky Leard-RZR 3 races
Jeff Furnell-RZR 2 races

RZR-800 x 2.1 =1680
Kawi 750 X 2.1=1575
Arctic Cat 750 x2.1=1575
Redline ??
anything new x 2.1 = ??

I know this a bit off topic but does anyone have a breakdown (doesnt have to be exact) of the race fees,irc rental, license fees etc

I know this a bit off topic but does anyone have a breakdown (doesnt have to be exact) of the race fees,irc rental, license fees etc

Hijack! Ha :D

It varies by race.

For the upcoming BITD BW Dez Challenge on October 16-17 the Pro class entry is $700 and Sportsman $500. The iri-tracker (if you already have the mount kit) rental for this race is $175. I think BITD membership is $50 per person (1 year membership) and UTVRA is something like $80 for the year or something like $20 for for a one race pass. Not cheap but really fun!

Ricky Leard-RZR 3 races
Jeff Furnell-RZR 2 races

RZR-800 x 2.1 =1680
Kawi 750 X 2.1=1575
Arctic Cat 750 x2.1=1575
Redline ??
anything new x 2.1 = ??

The only problem I have with building them as fast as you can it this. I don't have big sponsors or unlimited funds, so when you get everybody spending thousands on motors like what is happening in short course, I'm out. Right now my 686 Rhino is about as fast as it's going to get and it weighs 1472 pounds without me and my co rider. I say let's try to keep some limits on this or it's going to morph into another buggy class.

The only problem I have with building them as fast as you can it this. I don't have big sponsors or unlimited funds, so when you get everybody spending thousands on motors like what is happening in short course, I'm out. Right now my 686 Rhino is about as fast as it's going to get and it weighs 1472 pounds without me and my co rider. I say let's try to keep some limits on this or it's going to morph into another buggy class.
P.S. I'm not whining. I'm just saying......

HP is nice, but not always the key to winning in the desert. For most people UTV's are their first experience racing in the desert, which is very cool. I am a little different in that I started racing with a team in class 12 (SCORE Lite) and with another friend in 2/1600 then came over to UTV racing. 2/1600's are a spec class with limited travel...particularly in the front; eg 9-10." They have a 1600cc VW engine that makes approximately 75 hp. Class 12 is a wider version of 2/1600 buggies with around 140 hp, coil overs instead of torsion leafs and somewhere around 14" of travel in the front and 18" in the back. There is no minimum weight in class 12 and class 2/1600 you must weigh 1550. My point....wait for it...wait for it....2/1600's beat up on class 12's all the time and are capable of getting a top 20 in the Baja 1000. Why...reliabilty and driving talent, not HP.

Think about the spec for a 2/1600: 75hp and 1550 lbs. Sound familiar? We have a long way to go with reliability and driving skills (I will speak for myself) before we are anywhere close to the speed of a 2/1600. Since my first UTV race in 2006 the rigs have gotten WAY better and WAY more reliable. BTW...I like the idea of starting first with the bikes and ATV's. Less dust and much smoother.

HP is nice, but not always the key to winning in the desert. For most people UTV's are their first experience racing in the desert, which is very cool. I am a little different in that I started racing with a team in class 12 (SCORE Lite) and with another friend in 2/1600 then came over to UTV racing. 2/1600's are a spec class with limited travel...particularly in the front; eg 9-10." They have a 1600cc VW engine that makes approximately 75 hp. Class 12 is a wider version of 2/1600 buggies with around 140 hp, coil overs instead of torsion leafs and somewhere around 14" of travel in the front and 18" in the back. There is no minimum weight in class 12 and class 2/1600 you must weigh 1550. My point....wait for it...wait for it....2/1600's beat up on class 12's all the time and are capable of getting a top 20 in the Baja 1000. Why...reliabilty and driving talent, not HP.

Think about the spec for a 2/1600: 75hp and 1550 lbs. Sound familiar? We have a long way to go with reliability and driving skills (I will speak for myself) before we are anywhere close to the speed of a 2/1600. Since my first UTV race in 2006 the rigs have gotten WAY better and WAY more reliable. BTW...I like the idea of starting first with the bikes and ATV's. Less dust and much smoother.
That is exactly what I'm trying to say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back