Rugged Radios RZR 800 Build We Need Your Help!!!

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
RuggedRZR.jpg

Rugged Radios Project Polaris RZR

Extreme Makeover Rugged Edition!

Rugged Radios is proud to announce the Rugged RZR build. We just purchased a used 2009 RZR 800 and we need your help! How should be build this RZR 800? Let us know what you have done to modify your RZR.

Where do we start?

• Wheels & Tires?
• Bolt on Shocks?
• Racing Seats?
• Opening Doors?
• Roll Cage and Bumpers?
• Blue or White Plastics? (it is a Rugged vehicle!!)
• Any other items you may recommend??

Of course we will be installing the latest communication package designed for the RZR.

To make this project happen and keep the cost down, Let's Trade! If you need any communications and have products that we can use, Let's Trade.

At the end of the build we will have it on display at the 2011 Sand Sport Super Show with credits to all the people who gave the input to build the Rugged RZR into a mean desert machine.

The Build Starts Now!

IMG_4907.jpg

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I WOULD INSTALL SAFETY EQUIPMENT FIRST. HARNESSES & OPENING DOORS. THEN WHEELS & TIRES & THEN SUSPENSION MODS.

Yes the tires/wheels are currently mounted backwards! :p

This is how I would answer your question...but you might want to rethink the question.
-Walker Evans beadlock wheels and Maxxis Bighorn tires
-Holz +4 Long travel kit with 2" Walker Evans clicker, piggyback shocks. Pure Polaris also makes a LT kit for the orginal RZR.
-Mastercraft seats with Mastercraft 5-pt harnesses.
-Holz cage, roof and bumpers with Pro Armor doors and Mastercraft window nets.
-Blue color
-Kroyer stage III engine kit with a Muzzy exhaust.
-SSV works stereo
-Baja Designs or Pure Polaris LED lights.
-Pure Polaris Lock and Ride rear box.

But if it were me, I would save your money and start with a RZR XP 900. You will be money ahead in the end in terms of performance, warranty and resale value.

Either way have fun with your project!

Yes the tires/wheels are currently mounted backwards! :p

This is how I would answer your question...but you might want to rethink the question.
-Walker Evans beadlock wheels and Maxxis Bighorn tires
-Holz +4 Long travel kit with 2" Walker Evans clicker, piggyback shocks. Pure Polaris also makes a LT kit for the orginal RZR.
-Mastercraft seats with Mastercraft 5-pt harnesses.
-Holz cage, roof and bumpers with Pro Armor doors and Mastercraft window nets.
-Blue color
-Kroyer stage III engine kit with a Muzzy exhaust.
-SSV works stereo
-Baja Designs or Pure Polaris LED lights.
-Pure Polaris Lock and Ride rear box.

But if it were me, I would save your money and start with a RZR XP 900. You will be money ahead in the end in terms of performance, warranty and resale value.

Either way have fun with your project!

Don't forget the HID's/LED's for night rides! I'm with DD, the first thing is 5 point belts. We already lost a good friend this year, and it really hit home with the safety issue.:(

Kicking off the Rugged RZR build Baja Designs turns night into day!! Baja Designs, the leader in race lights came to the rescue with their latest Stealth 20†LED light bar and 2 Fuego 4†HID wide cornering lights. With their easy install wiring harness it makes for a switch. This alone is a must have item!

We can’t wait to get the cage built so we can mount the Stealth LED bar. We turned it on in the dark shop and we can’t believe how much light came from only a 1 ½ inch tall light bar. Also, the two Fuego wide cornering HID’s will make a big difference flooding light in front of the Rugged RZR.

We appreciate vendors like Baja Designs working with us on our project vehicle. Be sure to go to bajadesigns.com - The leader in Off-Road Motorcycle, Truck, and Buggy lighting and performance accessories. for more information on all of the latest in race and play lighting. Or just give them a ring at 800-422-5292.

The cage is the next step. TJ with Positive Ride fabrication is already designing the Rugged RZR roll cage. Bending and welding starts soon. Keep checking in for the latest progress. If you have product you would like to TRADE to help make this RZR build happen please give us a call!!

IMG_5027.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

Last edited:
Race seats have arrived! Thanks to Pacific Customs Unlimited two big boxes arrived with black EMPI Super Seats and Crow 5 point harnesses. I called them up and they arrived the next day. Great customer service! Check them out online or give them a call at 951-738-8380.

All we need to do is to fabricate seat mounts. These Super Seats have the same mounting as a standard Beard seat. Does anyone make an easy install mounting kit for the RZR? Please let us know. It would save us the fabrication time.

We appreciate everyone who has called and PM’ed us with suggestions and products for this build.

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget a dancing "hula girl" with the suction cup you put on the dash......no ride is complete without one of these

Pitbull tires on OMF beadlocks
Twisted Stitch EXCEL seats
5 points
Holz stage 3 with Muzzy's
XMF +6 LT kit with WER remote shocks
Rigid LED bars and cubes
UTV Crap/Inc roll bars, bumpers, doors,mirrors, extinguishers,LED whips and other accessories. You can't beat UTV Inc stuff for quality or durability, period.
Factory UTV skid plates
Thunderhawk radiator guard
HID replacements
Garmin Nuvi 550 GPS with a RAM mount
Sirius sat radio kit that hooks into the RR radio system
2nd battery with isolator

Blue plastics for sure, white just looks gay on RZRs.

Brings back memories of my 2008 RZR build! Started out looking just about like that, and ended up looking like this:

SandMountain-Feb2010-143.jpg

Here are a few parts that I used on my build that I really liked:
SSV stereo rocks
Fox shocks
OMF beadlocks
Baja Designs Fuego HIDs (you will love them)
PRP Seats
Simpson harnesses
Fullbore plastic
Holz/Kroyer Stage III engine
Muzzys exhaust
Factory UTV skid plate
Rugged Radios!

Lets talk suspension. We are thinking about leaving the stock arms and adding a set of king adjustable shocks. Also a set of offset wheels to gain some width. What does everyone think? If anyone has done the same thing let us know.

Note: Cage started friday. Positive Ride is doing a great job. We should have a few pictures up on monday.

What suspension would anyone suggest? We even thought about using a stock RZR-S suspension. I called and talked to Joe Fab @ Sandlimo. There new RZR suspension system with coilovers and bypass shocks looks hot. Joe said that its 100% bolt on. I know everything Joe makes is good by I will need to see a few more intercoms to pay for that one.

Polaris Rzr Suspensions & More

Maybe we will start a intercom special to help pay for the long travel kit? Help us out and let us know the good long travel kits out there.

What suspension would anyone suggest? We even thought about using a stock RZR-S suspension. I called and talked to Joe Fab @ Sandlimo. There new RZR suspension system with coilovers and bypass shocks looks hot. Joe said that its 100% bolt on. I know everything Joe makes is good by I will need to see a few more intercoms to pay for that one.

Polaris Rzr Suspensions & More

Maybe we will start a intercom special to help pay for the long travel kit? Help us out and let us know the good long travel kits out there.

XMF +6 with WER remote shocks is bomb proof. Lone Star also makes a good kit. Both will survive some pretty harsh treatment.

I've thrashed my RacerTech +3...when I was shopping for arms, their kits were highly recommended. Has withstood the rock-crawl type beatings I put it thru, unscathed other than paint...

So Rugged, I guess we are playing a little game of phone tag! Ha I should be around the office most the day today and will try and connect with you guys again! Look forward to help with the build!

Oh and Woody hasn't been very nice to our kit but it takes whatever you throw at it! Life Time Guarantee Against Breaking and Bending!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back