Time for BITD to MOVE UTV Start w/ ALL 4 Wheel Vehicles

Interesting debate on GPS. I can see both sides... #1) No GPS and some of the guys will just continue to "pin it to win it" anyway and thereby making it worse... or #2) No GPS and everyone forced to slow down for line of sight.

Joey did you read something somewhere that I said take away all Gps Tech. Nope I believe there are safe uses for it for sure and Like the Handlebar guys do they have portable units and what not. And Yes Joey they do all drive Blind and fast with GPS only.

Maybe your fork example for technological advances works for you and your Shoveling of food into your face but the Only person that's gonna die from that is YOU. So Maybe you need to make a 1000 year, old school decision to slow your shoveling down and do like the Japanese and Chinese.(not many Fattys over there) Get some Chop Sticks. That's a simple fix. but it still works safely. Hehehe

What's funny about your lame GPS concept is the monster Mav was hit when they were like 100ft off course. So maybe if Herbst was following the GPS and not the dust they wouldn't have hit them?? lol just sayin...

So I wasn't wrong in my gut feeling. They think that utvs are a sideshow when in reality it's one if the most competitive classes around. It had the most entrants of any class, that should say something in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get your point but this is not a good example. None of the handlebar racers have GPS's to look at and we still manage to radio our crew or BITD when we break down and provide our location. We also use the stuck stubs. I go off the last mile marker I saw, if I can't remember I walk back and find one. I've also ran with a small GPS in my camelback and pulled it out to get my location.

GPS's aren't going anywhere, everyone is too addicted to racing blind with them.

What's funny about your lame GPS concept is the monster Mav was hit when they were like 100ft off course. So maybe if Herbst was following the GPS and not the dust they wouldn't have hit them?? lol just sayin...

Whats Lame about Safety.

I would like to know. They will still have there little Gps to keep them safe out there to. You seem to think the GPS line that they were following was 100% dead on course and there is no Variance. That would be Military Grade for dead nuts accuracy. What about the Herbst Helicopter that was following were they not in communication and spotting for them. But they never went as fast in the blind Silt with out there big screen GPS. Maybe they need a FLIR system IR for visuals in the dust.
Heres a Link to the next step of WINNING Technology.
http://gs.flir.com/surveillance-products/thermovision/drivers-vision

Im Glad to see you think its so funny to LOL about it all. What if that was you getting run over by a Tank.

You can't be in communication w your helicopter. That's against the rules and they frown upon that. Ask Robby lol.

My Bad I guess Im out of line for suggesting something so Lame and Ludicrous as to possibly take the sport Backward in time to when it was a real team effort by driver and Co driver to really navigate and know where they are and to truly navigate in a Safer Manner. So I guess nowadays you just throw a few Monkeys that can read a GPS screen and Pin it and follow the Line who cares whats coming up at you. I guess if your out there with equal machines in size and speed and your Bullet proof who gives a shit. But send off a huge group of Slower machines and send the Tanks out after them and hope nobody gets Killed sounds like a Genius Plan to me. Who the Hell is Leading this thing from Behind OBAMA. :eek:

Don't get all butt hurt. You just think that eliminating a GPS is the silver bullet to safety and it's not. It's education for co-drivers. Off road racing might as well be called in the dust racing. It's part of the damn deal and having a GPS makes racing in the dust way safer. Can an accident happen following a pink line and driving WOT in the dust? Hell yeah! But if you think that pulling a GPS out of a f'n truck is going to make drivers slow down in the dust and not have dust related accidents then you're nuts.

The situation at hand, the reason this discussion is happening is because BITD still sends smaller and slower off road racing machines off the line in front of bigger and heavier machines. Simple as that.

Interesting debate on GPS. I can see both sides... #1) No GPS and some of the guys will just continue to "pin it to win it" anyway and thereby making it worse... or #2) No GPS and everyone forced to slow down for line of sight.

No one is going to slow down, especially when they see dust! The GPS is not to blame. I hate when people assume a driver gets into dust and stops looking at the terrain and starts staring at a GPS line. They aren't flying a Blackhawk.

I'm not snapping at you Frankie. Just responding.

And I don't think safety is funny, I think it's the most important thing a promotors has to consider.

I for one can say I use my relatively small gps (5" screen) more for reference than to direct me through the dust..... To say that I would drive any different without it, I would say no.... I tell my co-driver to make sure that there are no abrupt or sharp turns, other than that its me navigating myself through the dust and its usually at a pretty good pace. Don't get me wrong when I cant see my front bumper I make the decision to slow down to not only protect me and my car, but to make sure I don't slam someone that could be at a dead stop due to being stuck or mechanical failure. The Gps in my car is mounted for my co driver to use and I never even get to see it. For me to use it to drive blind through the dust would be impossible. A lot of teams do use a GPS for the driver and the co driver which would make driving blind a lot easier.........

I have to call BullShit on the claims of being able to drive by GPS alone. They are not that accurate. Blindfold the driver & let the co-dawg only see the GPS. Drive at race speed. You won't make 2 miles.

Although it looks very close he did not hit me .I am very sure though, that he thought we were dead because he buried the shit out of us after that turn LOL.It sure does look like he had a nice alternate route though.and im pretty sure it was a"watch this" moment for him ...and I moved over asap for him...your welcome fox ....still not absolutely sure on who did hit me..

948e47508fccb8b04fd7fca3b14a7caf.jpg

The Co driver doesn't have to tell them anything through the dust. They have their own GPS to look at. I have no issues with having GPS, I think they would slow down in the dust if the driver didn't have his own to reference.

For the record, Jones did get into the side of me and push us off course and into the desert. Not a complaint, just saying.

Looks like an easy place for a TT to go around without needing to use their front bumper :mad:
He had more than enough room to go around you. This is the only thing that scares me about our sport. I much prefer the races that they separate us from the big guys. Yea I'm talking like a girl, but I am a girl so....

948e47508fccb8b04fd7fca3b14a7caf.jpg

The Co driver doesn't have to tell them anything through the dust. They have their own GPS to look at. I have no issues with having GPS, I think they would slow down in the dust if the driver didn't have his own to reference.

I still call BS. In blinding dust the driver is 100% concentrated on catching a glimpse of vehicles in front & indicators of the sides of the trail.

For the first 70 miles, I couldn't imagine going any faster in the dust than a UTV goes. But the wind might have picked up a little bit and allowed the dust to be blown off the track by 10 am. That being said, I couldn't imagine going any faster trying to pass another car or truck in their dust.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back