Time for BITD to MOVE UTV Start w/ ALL 4 Wheel Vehicles

We were given a proximity alarm that would let us know that a TT or high speed vehicle was closeing on us and vice versa at contingency by IRC...but no batteries at contincency and they said they'd be at the start in the moprning. We never saw IRC or did get batteries from them...thus it never worked...any body either get or not get batteries from IRC?

They only gave the proximity sensors to the top 20 qualified unlimited.

We were not given one as we qualified 32rd.

Thats a bold statement for a guy who has no proof.....other than what you Think. I am going to laugh my ass off if it comes out to be a different truck. Class Act.:cool:

The proof is that he was the third TT past us, and the third TT into pit 13 that was only 2 miles from were he hit us. That seems pretty concrete to me. plus color of the truck was a light color like silver or white. His truck is silver. The photo i saw of his truck at the finish with a nice scratch on the right front fender, which looks like the same height as the left rear cage on the 1910. All this evidence and I am supposed to think that it was someone else? The facts speak loud and clear. He ran out of talent at the wrong time. It seems pretty simple to turn your wheel to the left when you see the UTV going right. He should never have put my brother and I in that situation. We did everything you are supposed to do when a faster car comes up on you.

Ok, so I brought up blue lighted or LED whips the last time someone got hit as a way to get the light up out of the dust and was roundly poo-poo'd. Not sure if it would have helped here or not but here we are again and while Corey makes it sound like the real problem is going to be addressed I would like to float this idea, HD back up cameras.

K5604.jpg

I have several of these on my fleet and wonder if something like this wouldn't help here?

See, recognize, react. Reaction times between people can vary greatly, from milliseconds to several seconds. Now add heat, vibration, speed, dust, fatigue, age...to the mix.

Would a rear facing camera with a screen next to the GPS screen so your your co-dawg can see it out of the corner of his eye and doesn't have to refocus his attention from the dash to a mirror to look for traffic cut down on the reaction time?

What you swear was only 1.5 seconds may have indeed been 10 or more.

Just an idea, flame away

Ok, so I brought up blue lighted or LED whips the last time someone got hit as a way to get the light up out of the dust and was roundly poo-poo'd. Not sure if it would have helped here or not but here we are again and while Corey makes it sound like the real problem is going to be addressed I would like to float this idea, HD back up cameras.

K5604.jpg

I have several of these on my fleet and wonder if something like this wouldn't help here?

See, recognize, react. Reaction times between people can vary greatly, from milliseconds to several seconds. Now add heat, vibration, speed, dust, fatigue, age...to the mix.

Would a rear facing camera with a screen next to the GPS screen so your your co-dawg can see it out of the corner of his eye and doesn't have to refocus his attention from the dash to a mirror to look for traffic cut down on the reaction time?

What you swear was only 1.5 seconds may have indeed been 10 or more.

Just an idea, flame away

I like the thinking outside of the box, no flames from me (but I'm not racer eith). I don't THINK these cameras would be a clearly noticeable as in person, probably just show huge cloud of dust until its too late anyway?? Another words, the EYE should be able to see much better than video camera IMO.

WHAT WOULD BE AWESOME THOUGH ... if it exists, would be some type of far reaching infrared heat sensing technology, you could track the heat approaching from roaring TT engine. I'm almost certain the application doesn't exist or would be way too costly for implementation.

We run the 1926 car and run a rear mounted camera and it works awesome. It see's through the dust and you can see vehicles approaching really well. We left pit 5 just as the fast cars were approaching and never had one incident or held up an unlimited vehicle. Believe it or not we had several pass and put there hands out there net with a wave. We would never run without this...

That's cool technology! But with these cars costing upwards of 60k + where do all the gadgets stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's cool technology! But with these cars costing upwards of 60k + where do all the gadgets stop?

When you run out of the will to spend money you don't have to gain an edge on the other guy... ;)

Honestly this is a safety related, $400 could help protect your $60k investment.

For the record, I wasn't defending what happened to 1910, I was only relaying the info that Busby, the co driver told me. Could they be lying? Sure! Could they maybe have not realized they hit? I suppose, big truck, big tires. Regardless I hope the situation is resolved peacefully. I hate to see any of our UTV racers in any series, any race, get injured, wrecked or the like.

At any rate. Just glad no one was injured and I hope a change is made that helps prevent any major TT vs. UTV incidents again.

This is great news. I am glad the crew at Best In The Desert finally made the right call. I personally would rather see our class "UTV" in the big show anyways. More eyes at the start, more eyes in the pits and I think it will help our class become a part of the racing scene. For many selfish reason I am also very happy.

1: 3:30am is way to early to start your day.
2: Chasing UTV's, we tend to miss seeing the other classes and action.
3: All the big dogs will now be in the pits with us, increasing my options for photos.
4: I can work for UTVUG and RDC.
5: I think this will grow our class. I know of a few teams that would love to race UTV's but not in the side show race.

On a side note. Don't judge RDC by some of the kooks over there. Its loaded with Trolls looking to argue. Most of them don't race or even follow racing.

That's good to know. I'm not sure who they all are but it good to know there not all on a track.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

How about ZERO Technology. Technology is the current problem weather anyone really wants to admit it or not, Most Teams TT an all the way down to the Golf Carts, LOL. are all running Blind in the Dust PERIOD. So if they Ban the GPS and make drivers have to really drive and see where there going it will be safer for all. and make it a real Race of Talent.:eek:

How about ZERO Technology. Technology is the current problem weather anyone really wants to admit it or not, Most Teams TT an all the way down to the Golf Carts, LOL. are all running Blind in the Dust PERIOD. So if they Ban the GPS and make drivers have to really drive and see where there going it will be safer for all. and make it a real Race of Talent.:eek:

They could reduce the "update rate" of the map plotting. That would give racers the general idea at where the course is. But remove exact location of turns.

You could get around this by saving portions of previous races and uploading them.......Nevermind.... :(

They did talk about driving by GPS during the drivers meeting and how unsafe it is. There's no way your ever going to get away from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could reduce the "update rate" of the map plotting. That would give racers the general idea at where the course is. But remove exact location of turns.

You could get around this by saving portions of previous races and uploading them.......Nevermind.... :(

I guess the BITD organizer could put a huge 1 or 2 hour penalty on any TT that Bumps,Pushes or what ever. That would keep the trucks from totally squishing a Cart. when Playing Through.:cool:

I don't think they are bumping on purpose. I think the hard smashes we saw this race was because how fast the trucks could go on this course. A TT or Class 1 is running 30 to 40 mph faster than a UTV. The UTV kicks up major dust. I could see a truck charging hard in the dust of a UTV no knowing it's a UTV. Once they see it's a slow moving vehicle (it's too late).

I'm so country... I'm my own damn cousin.

I sort of agree with you Rusty, but if a truck is following blinding dust they should atleast have their siren/horn on, I had no problem hearing and moving out of the way of the trucks that did have theirs on, even with our super loud redneck Flowmaster muffler. I'd like to post up the truck that hit me but you'll have to excuse my language, I was not a happy camper at the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back