2011 BITD BlueWater GP

we had a rough day too. I co-drove with nolan for the parade lap to give him a few pointers and see if we needed to change the set-up. other than a little preload in the rear everything seemed ok. as casey dropped the flag nolan just sat there the car wouldnt fire about 10 seconds later he took off and passed a few cars in the first 2 corners, about 5 mins later he is on the radio saying the car is getting hot I tell him to stop when he hits the pits as he is pulling up the front of the car is covered in dried mud so I figured the radiator is caked we douse it with a bucket or two of water and he is off. Once out of the pits he tells me its getting hot again but the radio communication was sketchy at best for us so as he comes into the pits again he stops and we talk he tells me when he tries to go fast it gets hot if he cruises its ok so I start looking and the fan isn't on I pull the wires off the temp switch splice them together and hey we have a fan!! taped them up and away he went he says the car is running great now temp is 180 then we lose radio contact with them 45 mins later he says they broke a tie rod and fixed it and were on their way again he hits the pits one more time I look at what he repaired and give it the ok and he heads out again this time its a clean lap and making up time as we watch other cars come and go thru the pits he rolls thru on his 5th lap ahead of the leader so i tell him to haul ass and he proceeds to get 2 flats in the last lap and with only one spare on the car has to drive 1/2 of the last lap with a front flat!! all in all we had fun and he learned a lot

and I want to thank the rzr for lending us that bolt and heim to keep us in the race

1918-imag0116.jpg

congrats to all the finishers!!! really wish i could have made it.. see you all at vegas to reno :D

Anyone have more info on the 1967 car? Looks like a new DSR1 build.

Attachments

• sick utv.jpg
    sick utv.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 14
Anyone have more info on the 1967 car? Looks like a new DSR1 build.

Yes it is a R1 powered UTV built by Jeff Palhegyi. Absolutely beautiful rig (even though I don't get the DSR1 class). Jeff is a very high end prototype/fabricator/builder from San Diego. He has one client: Yamaha. If you have ever seen those wild custom Star cruisers at the IMS show or on posters...he built them. Super nice guy! FYI...looks like he made his own wheels for this car out of billet! :eek:

He built a very similar car back in 2008/09 that sported a Rhino engine. It was featured in dirt Sports as well last year. In 2009 he had it on display at the SSSS which is where I took these pics. Word is Palhegyi is one of the original designers of the Yamaha Rhino.

DSC_1915.jpg

DSC_1914.jpg

DSC_1913.jpg

DSC_1912.jpg

Yes it is a R1 powered UTV built by Jeff Palhegyi. Absolutely beautiful rig (even though I don't get the DSR1 class). Jeff is a very high end prototype/fabricator/builder from San Diego. He has one client: Yamaha. If you have ever seen those wild custom Star cruisers at the IMS show or on posters...he built them. Super nice guy! FYI...looks like he made his own wheels for this car out of billet! :eek:

Yeah, I did not get the whole "SR1" thing till I built a car that was bike powered. Now I am building a 2009 R-1 powered teryx that keeps 4wd and no chain or belt and it has reverse. I guess I am just tired of "breaking belts". I have nothing against the Pro class but I have to change my car for leg room and decided to add lots of it. Anyway, thanks for the info. Does anyone know if they plan to keep racing or is that thing just a single race poster queen. I am hoping the DSR1 class is catching on like it did in short course.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did not get the whole "SR1" thing till I built a car that was bike powered. Now I am building a 2009 R-1 powered teryx that keeps 4wd and no chain or belt and it has reverse. I guess I am just tired of "breaking belts". Anyway, thanks for the info. Does anyone know if they plan to keep racing or is that thing just a single race poster queen. I am hoping the DSR1 class is catching on like it did in short course.

I don't want to get into a SR1 vs UTV debate as this is not what this thread is about. Jeff did say that he is planning on running V2R...so no show queen.

They had a good time at this race, and I believe I did hear something about Vegas to Reno, so....would be great to see them hit the course again! Jeff builds some really amazing stuff - they had ZERO test time on that car and it did great (flat tire on last lap put them down on time) on it's maiden voyage! :)

I also want to give kudos to the Rhino that came in third overall - they kept it pretty simple in regards to the motor, and that little Rhino just cruised by lap after lap. On these shorter, tighter tracks, it's good to see the ol' single cylinder still hanging in there! :)

Rupert14, there was another streetbike Rhino out there, too - I think a GSXR motor? I think it ran sportsman.....It also did great.....so there are definitely some motor swaps coming into the series. You should be in good company.

what happened or where is the rhino that joey posted up i have never seen it race?

i was a very nice build

He built a very similar car back in 2008/09 that sported a Rhino engine. It was featured in dirt Sports as well last year. In 2009 he had it on display at the SSSS which is where I took these pics. Word is Palhegyi is one of the original designers of the Yamaha Rhino.

DSC_1915.jpg

DSC_1914.jpg

DSC_1913.jpg

DSC_1912.jpg

I have those pics saved as well. Is that the car where they moved the motor forward? There is a ton of room under the dash in my Teryx. I really like the two cars that Jeff built, I just hope to see more of them.

I don't want to get into a SR1 vs UTV debate as this is not what this thread is about. Jeff did say that he is planning on running V2R...so no show queen.

Not a debate at all. I completely understand both sides and I have a rhino in the garage as well. I can't get rid of the old classic and I totally understand why people want to keep the stock motor and race. The competition is a lot of fun and I think that is what brings us to the BITD series. Thanks to all that make the races so much fun. Hanging with all the racers is just as fun as racing. I just like reliability, speed, and the unmistakable sound of the crossplane crank in the 2009 R-1. That is for another thread though. Thanks for the info and best of luck racing. It seems our numbers are climbing again, hopefully this economy is giving a bit.

My .02 is that the SR1 class is cool as hell and I hope numbers in both classes continue to grow! The mentioned SR1 was definately a VERY cool little rig and looks like tons of fun.:cool:

Mike

Great race. Congrats to Matt on the win, Jagged a great run, and everyone else! What a great race environment. Here is a video of the start and end of lap 1. We have more, just need to edit and get it posted. Watch out for the Commanders....
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjV1UCsM64"]YouTube - BITD Bluewater Gran Prix 2011 start[/ame]

Team Cognito Motorsports went to the Blue Water GP only imagining what to expect since It was the first race for Justin and the Cognito Kawasaki Teryx. The Cognito team worked hard for several weeks to build a race worthy UTV, and after passing tech inspection, success was realized! After the 6:00am practice lap we were confident we had built a desert worthy machine that looked as if it would hold its own. The plan was to attack the practice lap like it was a race lap to find out if there was any work to be done before the race, we learned that we were prepared! We entered in the sportsman class at the 6 lap 11 mile loop Blue Water Gran Prix starting 30 seconds back from the pro drivers. Justin and Co-driver Keenan Rogerson overshot turn 3 after the start putting them in 18th place, but made up ground quickly. After the first lap the Cognito Kawasaki came through the pits running 1st in class and 9th overall. Still making up ground on the second lap, the Teryx came thru the pits in 7th overall despite a different handling car due to a broken sway bar, but car and drivers pushed on trying to relearn the handling of a car with no sway bar. On the third lap, fighting the terrain without a sway bar the car lost power coming around a corner and put it on its side. Justin and Keenan climbed out and were able to push the car back over on the wheels but the engine would not fire. Unfortunately the fuel pump failed and would no longer supply the V-twin with fuel. Overall, the Blue Water GP was a great 1st event for Team Cognito and we will be back for more!

A Big THANKS goes out to The whole Crew at Madhouse Motorsports for helping us get to the Race, Co-Drive, and Pit Support. Thank you to our sponsors FOX Racing Shocks, Rigid Industries LED Lighting, ITP Tires & Wheels, Summers Brothers Racing, K&N Air filters, and Joes Racing Products. Thanks to Best In The Desert for putting on a great event and preparing a challenging course.

More Pictures

WATERMARKED_2.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back