thinking about pulling the trigger on a BITD build and racing

shrive81

Hey guys I am new to this forum and I know this has been brought up many of times but I am going to start my own thread so I can post my specific questions and situation..

-So I am looking to start desert racing I live in southern california and am a Firefighter paramedic so I am by no means rich by any stretch of the imagination. I currently own a 2012 RZR XP4 and have about 6k cash. I am trying to decide if I should build my xp that I have to race BITD race spec ( is BITD and SCORE the same spec? ) or should I look into buying a cheap teryx that is already built to spec? (which seem to be hard to find ) I have been driving the xp since they first came out so I feel very very comfortable in the car and know what it is capable of.

-I have been trying to find where I can find what the specs are for BITD but I cant find anything on their site.

-I know jagged X will convert a car to BITD spec for 10k but I already have intercom, radio, GPS etc. what do you guys think it would take to get a car to race spec.

-would I need to have new suspension made or does the stock hold up ok?

- are most classes stock motors or can you have work done to the motro like cams and exhaust etc.

I am looking to build a car and need a team, this would be a budget team and completely grass roots as I am again not rich at all, If anyone is interested in this please let me know the more support and knowledge the better...

Thanks Guys
Kevin Shrive

Ya I have looked into it and we have gone over eveything and here is what we have and what we need..

Have:
Rzr xp4
Intercom
Vertex 50w radio
Lowrance GPS
Hella horn
Park pumper

Need:
Cage with aluminum
Seats
Harnesses
Fuel system
Radiator relocation
Window nets
First aid
Fire extinguisher
Misc parts

Budget 8k

You think this is doable?

Any suggestions on fabricators in SoCal
Need to start getting ideas on cage prices...

Ya I have looked into it and we have gone over eveything and here is what we have and what we need..

Have:
Rzr xp4
Intercom
Vertex 50w radio
Lowrance GPS
Hella horn
Park pumper

Need:
Cage with aluminum
Seats
Harnesses
Fuel system
Radiator relocation
Window nets
First aid
Fire extinguisher
Misc parts

Budget 8k

You think this is doable?

Any suggestions on fabricators in SoCal
Need to start getting ideas on cage prices...

First off welcome to the site. You came to the right place however something tells me most of our BITD race members are probaby elbow deep in prepping their machines for this weekends race.

I think you probably could take your car and that $8K right over to Jagged X and have them do your build. You have at least $2K of the required stuff that they charge for so if I am you I would pick up the phone and call Justin at Jagged X and see what they have to say.

I would recomend atleast gusseting the stock suspension. I know Jagged did that on their 1991 midway through the season. If you plan to run in the Pro class then you are gonna need power if you are planning to go for the W however you could get lucky and still steal a race or 2 with a stock motor but if these guys like Jagged, Murrays, Cognito, Coastal, etc are on their game you will not have a chance with a stock bullet.

I would also reach out to Cognito and Holz Racing and see what they can do for you. If you are in So Cal you could reach out to Magnum Offroad and see what they have in mind as they too are building desert race UTV's and are building some nice cars.

Either way keep us posted on your build! Let us know if you need the UTVUG logo files to put on your car, they give you atleast another 10mph on the top end! lol

COGNITO HAS A RACE READY TERYX SITTING READY FOR A BUYER. BIG MOTOR . BEST LONG TRAVEL. Fox shocks. CALL EMA AND WORK A DEAL

Thanks guys ya I have called jagged x for the last week and a half with no return call... Owell haha

Ya I'm guessing I won't have a chance against big money racers like jagged x and coastal and now the other two guys that were supposed to be part of the team one co driver and one driver backed out and they were each going to invest 25% of the build cost so not sure what I am going to do yet but we will see I will keep u guys posted

can anyone give me a ball park of what I need to have a fuel cell for the Xp4, make, model, price average. Also can I run the stock fuel pump or if I need gto run external fuel pump and filters what would i use?

thanks
kevin

Hey Kevin, I know you have stated that your interested in Desert stuff. But. You already see the cost involved getting up to spec and running a race. Maybe you start by hitting a WORCS race. You will need an upgraded cage , seat and a harness. But very little cost compared to what your talking. It's not a 250 mile race but its a simple cheap option to get your feet wet racing your UTV. Just an idea. Plus your located close to lots of good WORCS events. The Primm round in Feburary is always popular with the desert guys as there is no MX portion. All desert, sand, brush, whoops.
Todd.

Thanks Todd ya I am seeing the expense first hand and realize it is not cheap but I do have about 8k for the build it won't be a hole racing or jagged x car but I think I can make it happen then slowly start doing races I honestly have no intrest in worcs that's the weird thing

WORCS or LOORRS in an XP4 will be hell. I love both series but that would be a terrible move in a 4 seater.

FWIW Jagged has shifted from retail to being a full time race program, not making excuses but they are focused on their team. With that said they will build you a car. I will alert them to this thread.

I know the Jagged guys have been tied up with the launch of the Jagged X Edition RZR XP @ Camp RZR and now prepping to the Parker race this weekend. They are the ones who can get a car ready for you while staying on budget.

Are you wanting to race pro or sportsman class? Sportsman may be the way to go to get your feet wet. As Joey said you are probably looking at $7-8k to get your car race ready. I know Jagged has their 1991 car for sale so you may want to look at the options of buying a built car. Either way there is a ton of experience and knowledge on this forum so I am sure you will get some great advice.

Thanks guys for all the help... I need to figure out the fuel system and radiator remounting the rest inthink I have budgeted out

I am going to just run sportsman class and go out to have fun and enjoy it I don't plan on being competitive but if I am then that would be awesome

For fuel cells call Stacey at Pyrotect. You won't be disappointed!

well there are several areas you need to focus on. fuel cell you can get standered sizes through lets say summit racing but you will have to run external pump. air cleaner set up is a must stock is not going to cut it unless you want to rebuild a motor. rear axles need to up grade. front a-arms i would have thicker ones made or you will be replacing them. trailing arms need to be beefed up. rear radius arms need to beefed up. the build you can do it for what you want to spend but the maintenance is what kills you.

There is also a smaller budget friendly series starting in Cal City. It has a 350 entry fee with a 200 dollar pay back for every entry. Fun Alot cheaper and a good starting ground for BITD

Ya I was going to build the car to BITD specs but do some of the more and cal city races that are less exspensive to start but concentrate on maybe two big BITD races... That way if I build the car to BITD standard I should be fine racing everywhere else

Ok guys so after talking with bill from jagged X ( who by the way is a great guy and very friendly and helpful ) I am breaking the rzr down this week to start looking at the build and cutting off what I don't need... I have pretty much no sponsors or product support and now looking at it I will most likely race in the pro class even though the competition will be very very tough... I am doing this on my own 10k budget so I need suggestions on a few things:

Fuel cell: woul like 15 gallon at least.... Is a 1000 budget sufficient
Suspension: best bang for the buck support from a vendor would be awesome and in turn run there logo and name but right now I have about 2k set aside for suspension
Seats: good seats for racing... Prp? Twisted stitch?

Wheels and tires: I have 14" beadlock wheels with itp baja cross 28" tires is this sufficient
Co-driver: still need one and should this person have to put in towards build or racing or both
Skid plate: suggestions

Thanks guys

The co-driver thing can go either way depending on the circumstances. If he puts money in to the car, he should own a portion of it. If you can find somebody who really wants to race they might give you money toward your entry fees. Otherwise its probably on your shoulders.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back