special thanks to Max powers & Hapa (help)

RIPPIN BOWLS

Top Of The LIST - UTVUnderground Approved
I was out in glamis this weekend.. 10mins in to me running around camp... I started to smell a funny smell. I was running my brand new 686 not to hard but through the small dunes & on the whoops on wash road, all a sudden it rev'ed & I had no forward or rev. long story short i distroyed the belt.

I went and saw maxpowers & hapa at the glamis mall.. we pulled me belt out & every string and all the crap out.... we pull off the sheave & it was toasted.. my sheave backing plate spline were gone.. I was able to buy a backing plate,utv crap sheave & yamaha belt from them for pretty cheap.. after they help me with everything, I went back to camp & my wife drove it around for a hour or so... giving rides to her whole family.. (driving the piss out of it)..

the next morning, I got ready to go on a ride from the washes to ol's when I was moving along pretty well when that smell came back.. I & every one else turned back around & got back to camp ok.. but stinky & smokie when we stopped...

(once again thanks again to max powers & hapa for all there help, & not sticking it to me in my time of need..)

what could be causeing this?

You are not breaking the belt in properly.

Belts and sheaves are like brake pads and rotors. They need to be "bedded" to each other. Not allowing them to take a set will cause them to constantly slip and eat the belt up.

Once they start slipping, they glaze up and BOOM!...bye bye belt.

You are not breaking the belt in properly.

Belts and sheaves are like brake pads and rotors. They need to be "bedded" to each other. Not allowing them to take a set will cause them to constantly slip and eat the belt up.

Once they start slipping, they glaze up and BOOM!...bye bye belt.

THEN HOW DO YOU BREAK IN THE BELT???

THEN HOW DO YOU BREAK IN THE BELT???

Apparently NOT the way you do it. :D :p

Makes sure that the sheave is completely free of any junk when you install the new belt and make sure that you have the correct belt for your ride (which I'm sure you do/did if you bought them all together)

Drive at medium/part throttle for the majority of the time. DO NOT hammer it but make sure that you get a good range of RPM's and speed to get the belt to move up and down the sheave at every point possible.

Basically, avoid hauling a bunch of people or excess weight around. Hard duning or hill climbing is not a good way to break them in either.

A couple of hours of riding like that should be good for break-in.

Man i thought that thing was fixed??? I hope it works out, please keep us posted

brian @ long travel got it all apart & how it looks.. i blew out the splines on the backing plate to the sheave again... I dont understand... any help ....???? please...

brian @ long travel got it all apart & how it looks.. i blew out the splines on the backing plate to the sheave again... I dont understand... any help ....???? please...

because the spines on the cam plate are probley bad causing the nut to come loose everytime you smash on the gas. and when you guys put it back together either those wherent that good to begin with or you could have not impact it on good enough causing it to back off. I also will run it for a minute and let the sheave halfs cycle- then go back and re impact the nut - i have got the nut to turn a few more times after doing this.

I had the same thing happen to me. I also replaced my sheave nut too since i have had mine on and off 20+ times i thought it was time for a new one.

its also called the primary fixed sheaved not the backing plate- this might help some guys understand a little better.

good 411 Kyle!!!

lol

thanks- i just went through this my self.

hell when my nut backed off because the spines where bad it welded the nut to the support cage bearing dust cover- I had no clue what was going on.
More then likey is the fixed sheave spines went so did the cam plate.

put on a new cam plate and new nut and no more issues well until my motor throught a rod! :mad:

now dry clutch time- no more issues yet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hookemdevils22
Back