Can-Am SGM Commander Build

Here are a few updated pics as I am starting to notch the plastics back on the car. I am also working on the suspension designing on the computer. Should be able to waterjet some parts in the next week or so to weld up some arms.
2012-12-22_15-09-53_899.jpg
[/IMG]
2012-12-22_15-10-05_329.jpg
[/IMG]

I agree, they are growing on me and this has to be one of the cleanest builds on one I have seen. Keep posting. You are a very talented fab guy for not doing it full time.

Thanks for the replys! I just want to get it back in the desert. The holidays really put a dampener on this build. I have been super busy at work too. Gonna try and shoot to have suspension going together at end of month. Then onto sheet metal work which I plan to put alot on the car to give it a unique look. We will see how it all comes together.

Alright after a long dry period of not working on the car due to work I had finally finished designing rear arms and had them water jetted out. Everything magically came together pretty well and was able to tack them up. I have some welding work ahead of me for sure. I am working on the fixtures for the front a arms so then I can design and have them cut next. I am stoked to be working on it and looking forward to a good riding season this year with it.

Drawn up
rear_commander_arm.png
[/URL][/IMG]
Working on 1st arm
20130525_163003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Both tacked up and ready to lay welds
20130526_171144.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Are they longer than stock and it looks like you are adding another pivot point.

I lengthened the rear of the car by 7 inches, so the arms are that much longer plus 5" wider per side. I did add another pivot point which is inline with the main one to add support since they are alot longer than the stock ones. :)

Just wanted to post a little teaser pic of the rear upper shock mount tacked up.

20130731_183717.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I welded up the rear arms and added shock mounts on them. Then I cut the upper mounts out and am working on them as we speak. I will try and get some more pics this weekend of the arms on the car with the shock mounts. I got the front arms pretty much done in SW, so just need to make a cut file for waterjet.

front_lower_5_arms.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Was able to get a little further on the car this weekend. Me and my brother got both rear upper shock mounts welded up and installed on the car. We also installed the driveshaft I had lengthened for it. Started getting some plastic mounted back up so I can start the sheet metal process in the next few weeks. Here are a few pics.
20130803_111336.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130803_160634.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130803_160705.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I can't wait either. It should be a whole new animal with the suspension. Anyways got a pic of the rear arm welded up. Also my brother started rerouting the exhaust for it too. Having the front a-arms cut out this week and should get them tacked up over the weekend.
20130812_180850.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130812_180910.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got front arms tacked up installed for a quick look and cycle thru travel. It all seemed to work good so we are on to welding them up and building new front upper shock mounts. Here is a pic of the front arms.
20130827_191742.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Alright got the a-arms all welded up and worked on front upper shock mounts on the car. Got them tacked up yesterday and should get them welded up during the week. All I have left on the front is to build new tie rods and assemble the front end up. I plan on test driving it at the end of the month.

20130907_170517.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20130907_170426.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back