Onboard/Helmet Camera's and mounts

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
I am in the market for a new camera and a mount. There are some cool things on the market and I thought I would put something up to see what everyone else is using.

I found Helmet Cam Central Reviews - GoPro, Contour, Drift, Tachyon, Liquid Image, VIO

I went to the site's best seller list and on top was the Contour GPS HD. This camera has some really cool features. It would be cool to track your trail rides while recording them.
ContourGPS - Helmet Cam Central

Another cool camera I found was the Drift HD action cam. This camera has a remote that can trigger the camera from upto 5 meters away (16 feet). This feature is really nice if you are a racer. Sometimes the camera does not get turned on and you miss some valuable footage. You could place the remote in the race car and the co-driver could trigger the camera at any piont of the race.
Drift HD Action Camera - Helmet Cam Central

This camera has some features that no other camera has. The camera is two channel. It has a front channel and a rear channel. This allows you to capture a total of 240 degrees. Another thing I thought was cool is there is no need need for a battery. The kit includes a 16' power cord.
CCam 2 Channel Car Camera with GPS - Helmet Cam Central

And of course the GoPro Hero. The Hero is often used in our sport. With many options designed for our style driving. Many aftermarket companies make mounts and other accessories for the GoPro. With GoPro intoducing the ability to record your in car audio and the introduction to a new remote control early 2012 this may still be the best way to go for the offroad consumer.
GoPro HD Motorsports Hero - Helmet Cam Central

One of the coolest mounts I have found is made by Daystar. I really liked the fact it protects the finish on the tubing you mount it to and its a very affordable.
Daystar - Driven by Design

This site also has alot of mounting options.
Camera Mounts Helmet Cameras and Accessories - Helmet Cam Central

I got the GoPro HD for Xmas, and used it for New Years at OW. I used the roll bar mount from GoPro, and it seemed a little flimsy because its plastic. But the whole setup worked fine for the weekend, which included high speed whoop runs and slow crawling. I am still a little nervous about the mount, so I will probably get a metal mount pretty soon. The picture quality was great and it is easy to turn on and off for the slow action times.

I picked up a GoPro HD Motorsports package tonight. I am going to build some mounts for KOH and hope to end up with some cool angles. Chris I can't wait to see the Contour in action.

WE HAVE A GOPRO NON HD CAMERA WITH A KW MOUNT. I HAVE REALLY ONLY USED IT ONCE WHERE I RECORDED WHAT I WANTED. IT WAS ALL OPERATOR ERROR. NEXT RIDE I WILL ASK FOR HELP.

I used a GoPro at Soboba and very pleased with the video! Now how do I email such a big file? Talk with Killian from Mad Media he is the man when it comes to location and mounts.

I recently purchased the Drift 170 HD stealth. I have not had an oppertunity to use it offroad yet. I like the built in LCD, remote and the ability to adjust the lense to keep the pic straight regardless of camera mounting position.

Im sold on the GoPro line... Ya they look like ice cubes and suck with gloves, but once you know the routine, they just plain work great. I think the issue many over look is the software needed for editing HD and the computer needed to process the editing. The GoPro roll cage mount works well regardless how it appears but my favorite are the little 3M sticky backs. Stick those effers all over. No vibration and work great also.... And cheap as hell. Get a bag of them at Best Buy for $20? Keep in mind also, if YouTube is what you plan to use for sharing that it knocks you down to 30 fps... Vimeo is nice but charges if you use it very much. I have found for YouTube that 720p 30fps works great and can play fine on cell phones. 1080p 30fps is great, but the audiance needs a good computer to play it smoothly so you limit your audiance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back