New to desert racing, what tires and wheels?

cpatts2000

I have no idea what to run for tires and wheels for desert racing also what size? I am also going to run the idaho rally and I am looking for tire suggestions for that if anyone has one? Thanks

I would run 12" beadlocks and 26" Bighorns OGs. Proven winner. Stay away from 14" wheels in the desert, as they will pinch flat easier. I ran 26x9 all the way around, which made spares easier to deal with. The Bighorns are also non-directional, so you can rotate them as needed, and dont need to worry about what side of the car a spare gets put on. Bighorns are a great all around tire, and work great in everything but thick mud.

What kind of UTV are you racing?

42" "BFG Projects"...that's what all the cool guys are running now.:D
Mike

i thought it was 30" bfg was the cool ones. i wonder if murray car will have them.they cut the front end off like the other cool guys. lol

I dont plan to race but I do have OMF cutting me some new 15" 3 piece bead locks to wrap in some 30" KM2 BFG's Mudders!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I dont plan to race but I do have OMF cutting me some new 15" 3 piece bead locks to wrap in some 30" KM2 BFG's Mudders!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

For not being a racer, Joey has the hot setup going with that.

One big advantage to running the BFG's is that on longer desert races, you can use BFG Pits.

Plus, the BFG KM2 Mud Terrains are excellent on traction and wear. They are heavier than say Maxxis BigHorns, but I've had lots of flats in the desert with the Maxxis. And racing in Idaho brings thoughts of lava rock, lots of sharp edges and things that will destroy the sidewalls...no way I would run a 6ply tire in that....

I run ITP Baja Cross 28inch 8ply tires on ITP beadlocked rims, but am looking to switching over to the BFG's myself.

In desert racing, heavy is sometimes a benefit in that it will help carry momentum over obstacles. But the weight is also a drawback in sand. The larger tires really helps with rolling resistance too, better for handling ruts, holes and rocks...

You need to stop and think about the power you have available, whether it's long distance desert racing or shorter races. I the long races, durabiliy is often what wins the race.

Now if your name is Mike or Bill and you are affiliated with JX, then you might get away with 42inch tires, that is after you jump to TTs... :p

I agree with wild earp.You need a lot of power to run the big heavy BFGs and special made wheels.Also run a minimum of 15psi.I ran 25psi in BAJA.

I can say from experience, to avoid ITP beadlocks. I broke five of them. Go with a reputable racing wheel, not a cheap one. A

I have run the Maxxis Bighorn tires, and I did not have great luck. I have gone through 4-6 of them each season. A flat can easily cost you the race.

I am currently running Pit Bull tires. They are 27.5 but measure a full 28" tall, they come on a 12" wheel which helps because you have more sidewall between the ground and the wheel, and they are 8 ply tires. The tread lugs are over 1" deep!!! So far, I really like them but I have not completed a long race on them yet.

Just to be sure, I also run tire balls. I know they are heavy, but they mean I don't have to carry a spare if the pits are around 40miles apart. My tires are heavy, but my Teryx can do over 70mph consistantly in the desert at 5500 feet elevation. I am sure I could go faster with less rotating mass, but I really don't want a flat.

Go with a good 8 ply tire, beadlocks, and a 12" wheel if you can swing it. Sidewall is a good thing in the desert.

lol "the Dezert just got smaller" lol

26x9x12 Maxxis Ceros.

Joey, what are the 30's going on? the Gator?

Going on a couple of UTV's.....having 2 different billet centers cut for them so I can mount them to our new Polaris Ranger Crew and to another top secret vehicle...............I cant wait to talk about it!!!

Going on a couple of UTV's.....having 2 different billet centers cut for them so I can mount them to our new Polaris Ranger Crew and to another top secret vehicle...............I cant wait to talk about it!!!

Ranger Crew? you got a big garage for all them? lol

I am running an xp, just fyi. Thanks for all of the suggestions

If I remember correctly, the RZR XP 900 is designed to work with a larger (28 inch) tire anyway, so going to a 30 inch BFG should work.

Also, many have said to run a 12 inch rim but I disagree, having to large of a sidewall creates too much flexibility in the wall, which at high speed is very undesirable. Also, a smaller sidewall is harder to puncture than a large one.

The Pitbull tire is a great tire, but for pure desert running, say on a V2R, I would rather have a BFG or 28 inch ITP BajaCross.

Maxxis is just too weak of a tire, too many flats. Save it for shortcourse stuff.

Best yet, ask the resident XP/Polaris experts, oh yeah, they are running BFG's on their new build...

A shorter sidewall will flex less during cornering but will pinch flat easier and break a wheel easier.I have run the bighorn 2.0 on my race rhino and never had a flat except when I rolled a bead off before I had beadlocks.I have had 2 flats so far on my Teryx with the Baja Cross on 14 inch wheels.We had several flats on the class 1 car at the last 1000 with 37inch BFG projects.Any tire can be flattened.

My 14inch Baja Cross tires on one off light wieght spun aluminum beadlock wheels weigh 12lbs more than my 12inch bighorn 2.0 on cast aluminum beadlocks.In my opinion the tire diameter should be atleast 2 times the wheel diameter.
A trophy truck runs 39inch tires on a 17inch wheel,the would run a bigger wheel if the were worried about to much tire flex.

Wont this be the resident experts first time trying this setup?

If I remember correctly, the RZR XP 900 is designed to work with a larger (28 inch) tire anyway, so going to a 30 inch BFG should work.

Also, many have said to run a 12 inch rim but I disagree, having to large of a sidewall creates too much flexibility in the wall, which at high speed is very undesirable. Also, a smaller sidewall is harder to puncture than a large one.

The Pitbull tire is a great tire, but for pure desert running, say on a V2R, I would rather have a BFG or 28 inch ITP BajaCross.

Maxxis is just too weak of a tire, too many flats. Save it for shortcourse stuff.

Best yet, ask the resident XP/Polaris experts, oh yeah, they are running BFG's on their new build...

The XP 900 was designed for 27" tires. And the resident 'experts' won their much deserved championships on Maxxis Bighorns.

The XP 900 was designed for 27" tires. And the resident 'experts' won their much deserved championships on Maxxis Bighorns.

Yeah, and the only tire to complete the Baja 500 and 1000 on one set of tires in class 1800 is the Baja Cross.

I will agree, a certain amount of sidewall is fine, but you don't need 12 inch rims with larger diameter tires. That is way too much sidewall. I am talking about 14-15 inch rims, running either 28 or 30 inch tires, which is well within Hans' suggested sidewall.

And those resident experts (Jagged X) are running BFGs on their new build XP900.

I was in the car for both of those races and I am pretty sure we used more than 1 set of tires.I am not knocking these tires but they are heavy and not bullet proof.

Jagged is being the guinea pig for this setup and it might work great.It might also leverage the axles,cvs,diffs and trans to much and break alot of stuff.

A bigger tire does make the bumps smaller but also makes the car work harder to control it.The heavier the wheel and tire combo the heavier the car needs to be to keep the unsprung weight under control.It will definetely be interesting to see.

Why did ITP advertise that the 500 used only 1 set and then bragged about something like that for the 1K.

The BFG is a heavy tire and I'm sure it will put lots of force on the axles and diffs, but the trade off is less rolling resistance over obstacles and holes as well as being more resistant to flats, even pinch flats.

We'll find out, I hope they (Jagged X) have good luck with the BFG's, personally, I don't think UTV tires have the durability that LT tires have.

Maybe cpatts needs to do like everyone else and try different setups out and see what works best for him.

Not trying to argue Hans, just pointing out a different opinon and ideas.

ITP TIRES - The World's #1 ATV Aftermarket Tire & Wheel Source :: Bajacross Tires Dominate the Baja 1000!

ITP BAJACROSS TIRES DOMINATE
THE BAJA 1000!

There is no tougher test of man and machine than the SCORE Baja 1000. ITP has just aced that test by winning the 2009 event in the Sportsman UTV class on BajaCross tires and T-9 Pro Mod wheels. This class was dominated by the Team Green Kawasaki DragonFire Racing team, with Reid Nordin, Hans Waage, Todd Romano and Larry Roeseler at the wheel of their Kawasaki Teryx. This talented crew enjoyed a nearly flawless run, completing the 672-mile/1000-kilometer course in northern Baja in a time of 24:32:37, for an average speed of 27.41 mph over what many considered to be one of the most demanding Baja 1000 courses in some time. Of 328 starters, just 185 finished - only 56.4 percent! It was the second big win for the team this season, having captured the Baja 500 in June on BajaCross tires as well.
If not for some fuel-related technical issues, the second car fielded by this team could have had a real shot of making it a one-two performance. Driving duties in the DragonFire Racing-prepped ITP/Carlisle Teryx were handled by Dave Roberts, Bob Viau, Chris Koch, John McCarthy, Cody Currie and Fred Sutter, with backing from Black Rock off-road wheels and Ultimax performance belts. This entry was the fourth Sportsman UTV entry to cross finish line in Ensenada, but was just outside the official time limit. This was an outstanding performance for a team with limited experience in Baja, in a new car that was put together in a very short timeframe. Everyone agreed that it was a great adventure, and vowed to return.
Both teams benefited greatly from the durability and performance of their ITP BajaCross tires and new ITP T-9 Pro Mod spun aluminum wheels (with ITP T7 Beadlock rings). In an event that's notoriously tough on tires, neither team suffered a single tire failure. The Roberts-led squad even ran the same set of tires and T-9 Pro Mod wheels they used for over 200 miles of pre-running in the weeks leading up to the event! It was an outstanding debut for the T-9 Pro Mod, proving their lightweight yet durable capabilities in the world's most rigorous test lab.
Congratulations to everyone involved in this inspiring effort. You showed once again how tough it is to compete in the Baja 1000, and how ITP tires and wheels can stand up to the test!

The only point I was trying to make is the 14 inch tire will pinch against the wheel easier than a 12 inch tire.We didnt have the spun wheels for the 500 and would break the wheels.The tire would look fine.
Your quote is for the 1000 and we had a flawless race only shutting the car off once for a scheduled belt and airfilter change.I was not in the ITP car so I cant speak for them.
If I thought the car would handle 33 inch tires I would put them on but I dont think the drive train would hold up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back