Polaris HID Light Issue

Frank Steele

Hello - I have a 2012 RZR4 800. I installed 4 55Watt HID lights daisy chained. the problem i am having is that with the car not running 2 of the 4 lights come on but the other two further away from source alternately come on. If I run the car for a couple minutes all 4 will come on. I put a meter across the battery and when I turn the lights on when the car is running it drops down to 11.26v - I have a stock battery. Any help would be appreciated on how to best resolve.

optima battery with a battery tender is what we have. the hid starter for the second set is getting voltage last.

wait, you said daisey chained? are you running 2 sets of lights off of 1 set of starters packs?

wait, you said daisey chained? are you running 2 sets of lights off of 1 set of starters packs?

What I mean is that the positive and negative for each light is tied together. The HID lights have its own internal starter pack and ballast in each light.

What I mean is that the positive and negative for each light is tied together. The HID lights have its own internal starter pack and ballast in each light.

All 4 lights are tied into a fuse box and on a single on/off switch. I currently have the stock OEM battery. In reading some say to get the Odyssey PC925L battery, others say get a second battery for the lights, accessories. Trying to come up with the best solution and most cost effective way to correct the problem.

All 4 lights are tied into a fuse box and on a single on/off switch. I currently have the stock OEM battery. In reading some say to get the Odyssey PC925L battery, others say get a second battery for the lights, accessories. Trying to come up with the best solution and most cost effective way to correct the problem.

Here is the lights I am using - see attachment

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 3
After adding some Rigid lights (SR-40 and E2-10) to my Maverick, I had intermittent issues with the 40" bar not lighting all the way. I swapped the OEM battery out for an Odyssey 925L and the problem went away.

24vijrp.jpg

9r0wfd.jpg

You should not have more then two lights wired together on one switch, and one fuse or breaker. What Amp switch are you running? The power draw when starting an HID is greater then the actual draw of the light. Once the light is powered and is a full brightness then you will see the lower draw an HID will have vs a typical 55W Halogen light. I've also been told the power draw on those Kregan style HID you have, very and are not consistent. One light's starter ballast might pull more then another.

I believe the Polaris 800 cc alternator puts out around 42 amps. Your machine is probably using 20 amps to just run and keep the basic accessories like fuel pumps & cooling fans on. Same with the stock Polaris battery. They have very little reserve power, which is probably why your lights will not activate when trying to start them when the engine is not running or is at idle. I dont know how the Polaris Mag/Alt works, but most Alt's dont start charging until around 800-1000 RPMs.

After adding some Rigid lights (SR-40 and E2-10) to my Maverick, I had intermittent issues with the 40" bar not lighting all the way. I swapped the OEM battery out for an Odyssey 925L and the problem went away.
24vijrp.jpg

9r0wfd.jpg
good info - Can you run them without the car running - and have you had any problem with the battery maintaining a charge when driving with the lights on?

You should not have more then two lights wired together on one switch, and one fuse or breaker. What Amp switch are you running? The power draw when starting an HID is much greater then the actual draw of the light. Once the light is powered and is a full brightness then you will see the lower draw an HID will have vs a typical 55W Halogen light. I've also been told the power draw on those Kregan style HID you have, very and are not consistent. One light's starter ballast might pull more then another.

I believe the Polaris 800 cc alternator puts out around 42 amps. Your machine is probably using 20 amps to just run and keep the basic accessories like fuel pumps & cooling fans on. Same with the stock Polaris battery. They have very little reserve power, which is probably why your lights will not activate when trying to start them when the engine is not running or is at idle. I dont know how the Polaris Mag/Alt works, but most Alt's dont start charging until around 800-1000 RPMs.

Not sure about the size switch amp - can easily run 2 lights on one switch and the other 2 lights on another switch to test?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back