Go fast Race build?

Oc1

Well I've been pitting several different rock crawling and Desert racing teams for quite a while and really wanted to get behind the wheel. So after lots of looking around and figuring out that there was no way I could afford a trophy truck I decided to build a Dsr1 for Desert racing. I was signed up for the Mint and we wrenched until late on Thursday night but we just ended up with too many little issue's to make it to Vegas. Should be no problem to get the bugs worked out and some seat time in before the Silver State 300. Anyway here's the almost finished car as of this morning. I did take pics of most of the build and will do a thread if there is interest.
View attachment 9691

View attachment 9692

Attachments

• DSR1 finished up 007.jpg
    DSR1 finished up 007.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 291
  • DSR1 finished up 008.jpg
    DSR1 finished up 008.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 258
The pivot points at the Chassis are all Can Am Commander. We are running ADS shocks with Eibach coils. The trailing arms and A arms I designed and fabbed up.

Good eye. It is a Toyota rear end. We wanted to eliminate some of the weak points and decided that going with a solid axle might eliminate several. Its not proven yet so I guess we'll see. Worst case scenerio I'll redo it and make it IRS.

Thanks, we were trying to think a little bit outside of the box. It's a GSXR 1000 engine. Here's a pic of the water pump housing and clutch. The factory water pump housing inlet is to the front of the bike "left side in the pic" but I wanted to run the radiator down low on the right side so as opposed to routing hoses all over the place we made a new housing with the inlet turned the opposite direction. On a lot of motorcylce powered builds people use an arm to activate the clutch rod. The stock setup use's a helical screw so that there is no side load on the clutch rod. We decided that was probably a better way to go so we made the billet water pump housing extra thick and adapted the stock clutch screw to it and then made a bracket so we could intergrate a slave cylinder as opposed to a cable. You can also see in the pic how we turned the stock shifter arm around and were able to run the control cable right to it.

Attachments

• 2013-03-23 09_12_25.jpg
    2013-03-23 09_12_25.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 121
Pic of the dash. Got the Irc bracket behind the steering wheel on the drivers side. Put the stock suzuki tach and cluster in a pod in the center with the radio and intercom below also in the center. I made a bolt on mount on the grab bar for the GPS so that its not only easy to remove to prevent theft but it also has a roost shield built in to keep it from catching a rock while were waiting to pass!:D

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 82
Got the rear number mounted. I wasn't sure were I was going to put it, but behind the air pumpers seems to work and now that I have it on I kind of like that it hides them.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 55
have u gotten to take this out at all yet? if it works out well i'll be building something similar soon. i've always wanted to build something similar with a solid rear axle, but have been talked out of it numerous times. post a vid if u get a chance! would love to see a build thread. :D

I haven't gotten it in the dirt yet:mad:! We were having problems getting the front resi's mounted were we wanted them so I sent the shocks back to ADS to get 90's put on at the bodies so that they would mount better. As soon as they get back we are going out for some serious testing. A friend of mine has an AC that he raced at KOH and we are going to head out to the Geiser test track and see how they work. I going crazy right now. It was ok while the build was going on but now that its basically finished I really want to see how it fly's!

Here's the begining.
I know how much better it is to have a chassis built on a table but knowing that I'm not in the fabrication buissiness and not wanting to store a 1" thick table I chose a happy meduim. I built a spine out of 6"x6" 250 wall square tube I had left over from a jobsite and welded a piece of angle on the bottom of each end. Then I welded on some leggs with a nut on the bottom and threaded in a bolt so I could adjust them. From there it was easy to level it with a laser and I had a perfect surface to pull off of.
To start the chassis I figured out my front a arm mounting points and ran 2 rails the whole distance with an upturn on the front.

For the sides I wanted as much clearance as possible so boatsided them 4". I figured that would give me a lot less surface area to get hung up on berms and deep silt.

I figured the front lowers were going to take a pounding so I cut a piece of 1 3/4" in half and put it over the frame from fromt to back of the lower a arm mounts.

Attachments

• 2012-08-25 16_35_55.jpg
    2012-08-25 16_35_55.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 2012-08-25 16_36_12.jpg
    2012-08-25 16_36_12.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 65
  • mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 67
Mocked up the seats, fuel cell, and engine and figured out the top and helmet clearance. We didn't get the seats ordered when we should have mainly because we were trying to decided what to go with. I ended up pulling the ones out of my rock crawler to use in mockup so we could keep making progress.

Attachments

• 2012-09-14 15_23_04.jpg
    2012-09-14 15_23_04.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 55
  • mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 69
I'm really interested to see some testing on this thing! Pretty cool idea with the yota axle in the rear!

Hoping to get some testing in this weekend. We sent the shocks back to ADS to get some swivel 90's put on so we could mount the resi's better. We got it all tuned up and all the little things we noticed from driving around the neighborhood fixed. We should be able to bolt on the front shocks and let her rip! I have a short video of it running up the street with my buddy chasing me in his truck on my phone that I will try to post tonight.

Its pretty bad quality but here you go. I missed the shift from first to second and hit neutral for a couple of seconds. I ran it up to about 75mph and it felt pretty good. I'll take some better vids when we get it out in the dirt!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UqQYZxr2HI"]Dsr1 first test drive. - YouTube[/ame]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back