Go fast Race build?

Thanks for the props guys. I'm going crazy waiting to get this thing in the dirt.! I had a short day at work today so I stopped by the shop on my way home and made a couple of quick release fire extinguisher brackets and added a little more space between the brake and gas pedal. It was running hot so after doing some research I found out that the bike ecu doesn't turn the fan on until 221 degrees. Riders on the GSXR site were saying that it only comes on when you stop at lights. That wasn't going to work for the desert so we bought a Derale fan switch with a programable temp and wired that in. Worked well with it sitting at idle. The inlet of the radiator was quite hot after idling for about 20 min. but the tank by the outlet was much cooler. Flying thru the desert shouldn't be an issue with the air scoop pushing air over the radiator. Hopefully now it will handle the slow technical stuff and the silt beds.

Any updates? Considering a similar, yet narrower, rear setup. Trying to figure out how to run a reverse too though. Got a few ideas, but nothing good yet

The idea is sound. The problem we are running in to is with the amount of travel and where the motor sits the driveshaft has to much angle. A longer wheelbase or moving the motor forward would solve the issue. Another option we thought about would be to make a reverse box with the output on the bottom and run the driveshaft from there. Looks like we are going to miss the SS 300. Hope to have the problems worked out and make Vegas to Reno. Really ready to start racing and quit designing!

Sorry, there hasn't been much to report. I've been super busy at work and we were waiting on some new parts. Long story short its going IRS. We built a custom billet C.V. joint that we thought would handle the angles and it just moved the pressure to a different point and the driveshaft grenade!:mad: The loss of the shaft wasn't a big deal but it was turning 5k rpms when it went and did some damage. I machined out the new rear hubs this afternoon and plan on building the new arms tomorrow. I will try to post up some picks of the sick new Jamar hubs tomorrow after I get home from the shop. Still hoping to be put back together and all tested before Vegas to Reno.

Here's some pics of the testing carnage. The drive shaft pic shows the part of the end yoke that we think failed first. When it let go it crashed into the billet one off water pump we made as well as the clutch mechanism. It didn't do much to the waterpump but it destroyed the 7075 clutch mechanism. The new willwood slave cylinder somehow managed to avoid being hit and will be reusable. We had the driveshaft built using a 1210 cv joint which is stock equipment in a bronco II front driveline. We pulled the new shaft apart and machined a new outer housing out of chromo. We kept the ujoints the same size but increased all of the clearance's on the inside as well as beefing it up were we could. The thought process was that the stock cast housing would be the weak point and as long as we made it were it wasn't binding any were we would be fine. As you can see from the pic the new outer held up fine.

Attachments

• 20130531_141053.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20130531_140937.jpg
    20130531_140937.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20130531_140958.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Here's the Jamar X hubs and rotors. Vented 11" rotors and 4 piston calipers. :D Should be helpful slowing this thing down if it ever makes it to the track! Started on the new arms on Wed. Took pretty much a full day for each arm. The good news is that I made a jig on the welding table and they came out square and with the correct track width and wheelbase.:rolleyes: I welded on the shock mounts this afternoon and bolted the arms and hubs together. It was really nice to get it back on its wheels. I still need to weld on the caliper mounts, clean up the arms, and get them painted but at least I feel like I made some progress.

Attachments

• 20130529_163602.jpg
    20130529_163602.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20130531_140741.jpg
    20130531_140741.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 19
  • 20130531_140829.jpg
    20130531_140829.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

Members online

No members online now.