Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

Wow Thats quite a bit of weight

Did not think she was that Fat

Wish I knew a way to make her lighter

May-be a Anorexia Driver, Helium in Tires, Aluminum-Everything

She weighs about the same as my Saturn, but with less HP

Guess the frame weights the most?

attachment.php
It was 2,100 last year when I weighed it. Must have fattened up over the holidays! The spare parts/tool package is pretty large (there's a pic of the extras and toolbags etc. earlier in this thread.)

The left rear is heavier because of the lopsided exhaust I made, and the Wicked P/S unit, brake, and gas pedals. The right front is heavier due to the jacking effect the left rear has on it.

Dayum ... Can am spec stock maverick shows 1297 lb dry weight. (stock non race prepped)
I haven't started building our new 4 seat chassis yet, but my thought going into it would be remove 400 lbs. of stock crap, and add back 800 lbs. of performance and safety stuff. That would give us a long wheelbase UTE that weighs in at 1,900 + change, race ready, and without occupants. Marc can run with the 1-2/1600's in a car like that. It must be aggravating for the competition knowing that they are getting schooled by a car that out weighs theirs by some 500 lbs.!
Again, a testament to Marc's ability and feel for driving a race car. It's not fair to the competition that they are racing against a true professional race car driver. He can drive anything on wheels, and drive it at the limits for which it was built. Makes my job easy, don't you think?

Reid enlighten me, it seems you have completely reengineered the maverick. Forward steer, rear diff location, cv alignment, shock angles, mounting locations. Did canam miss the mark or are there trade offs to the changes you made?

I haven't started building our new 4 seat chassis yet, but my thought going into it would be remove 400 lbs. of stock crap, and add back 800 lbs. of performance and safety stuff. That would give us a long wheelbase UTE that weighs in at 1,900 + change, race ready, and without occupants. Marc can run with the 1-2/1600's in a car like that. It must be aggravating for the competition knowing that they are getting schooled by a car that out weighs theirs by some 500 lbs.!
Again, a testament to Marc's ability and feel for driving a race car. It's not fair to the competition that they are racing against a true professional race car driver. He can drive anything on wheels, and drive it at the limits for which it was built. Makes my job easy, don't you think?

Naaa... just the opposite... your killing marc with the weight, power to weight ratio, so the pressure is on for you to get him into race car that can podium on all the races. How's that for pressure and role reversal ?? lol Just teasing... Keep up the good work, I enjoying reading your posts, I actually learn reading your posts here.

Naaa... just the opposite... your killing marc with the weight, power to weight ratio, so the pressure is on for you to get him into race car that can podium on all the races. How's that for pressure and role reversal ?? lol Just teasing... Keep up the good work, I enjoying reading your posts, I actually learn reading your posts here.
4 races this year. 4 podiums: 2 first place finishes, and 2 second place finishes. The Monster Mav has DOMINATED the podiums this year! Last year, 5 races, 5 DNF's!

4 races this year. 4 podiums: 2 first place finishes, and 2 second place finishes. The Monster Mav has DOMINATED the podiums this year! Last year, 5 races, 5 DNF's!

The Polaris Girls don't like it much when we use Words Like Dominate. Especially in the state od Commieformia where Everyone is Equal winners and there are no Losers. LMFAO. Shit. With Reids in depth knowledge and Experience He will build and Prep a car that will WIN. Prep is gonna be the Key with these big Mile Races. when people overlook stupid little shit and its the little Shit that will cause a Loss of time. Like loose wires or what have you. Reids on top of that shit. Go KICK SOME ASS.:cool:

Needs some Weight watchers or Medifast or Jenny some Frickin fat needs to go. LOL. The home made exhaust piping is losing some HP. On the Dyno trying to make different pipe configurations work with out the factory collector always lost HP. So if the factory collector resonator is gone it needs to come back cuase you sir Need all the HP in the world to make that Fat Girl Haul some ASS in one Trip not 2 trips as my Dad would have said. LOL. to late to go on a diet but definitely on your next one the Max.:rolleyes:

You just need to dip that thing in acid a couple times to shave off some layers. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reid enlighten me, it seems you have completely reengineered the maverick. Forward steer, rear diff location, cv alignment, shock angles, mounting locations. Did canam miss the mark or are there trade offs to the changes you made?
Since this thread is somewhat of a race journal for the remainder of the 2014 season, and It appears to be gaining interest, I should give an outline on what I've changed over the stock design when building the Monster Mav, and the thought process behind it. I already covered earlier in the thread, the birth of the car, and the path that took it to get where it is today.

Major engineering and design changes were done to the chassis/suspension to maximize the cars performance and durability. Changes in the front suspension include :

STEERING
The first, and most notable change here is the conversion from a factory rear steer design, to a simple front steer layout. There were 3 basic reasons for the change. For starters, the stock rack would not hold up, and needed to be replaced anyway. That's race fab 101, and not even worthy of making up a reason for! I'm building a car for a professional racer, not a weekend Glamis fan, or an entry level racer. My driver will hit shit at speeds that you and I couldn't (at least not for long periods of time and without crashing!). Not just short bursts of courage like newbies and intermediate drivers can do, but full on speed, as fast as the terrain and car will allow, all of the time. With the extra weight and larger tires, the stock rack is one impact away from a radio distress call to the pits. Now, the real reasons
The 1st was to minimize bump steer throughout a broader range of wheel travel, while maintaining desirable ackerman steering characteristics. On rear steer designs, it is difficult to minimize the bump steer without sacrificing the ackerman geometry that I was shooting for (the inside tire turning sharper than the outside tire to compensate for the tighter radius the inside tires of the car follows in a turn, otherwise known as positive ackerman steering). This is mostly due to how far inboard the steering knuckle needs to be located on a rear steer car to achieve proper ackerman geometry.
The 2nd reason was so we can run smaller diameter, lighter tie rods. With front steer, the tie rods are normally loaded in tension, as opposed to being loaded in compression, as a rear steer layout invokes. If you grab a straw from each end and push it together, it will resist the forces acting upon it, and shortly after, it will crumple. Now, try pulling it apart..... Enough said!
The 3rd, and most unavoidable reason (because technically, one could race with the stock rack, using larger tie rods, and actually most do.), is that I had plans for the real estate that lies directly behind the front axles. I needed to change the load carrying duties of the upper and lower control arms, and the new coil over location would conflict with the tie rods.
The Components: I used a basic, manual rack and pinion gear manufactured by RBP that was as narrow as I could find. I believe it has an 11" rack, thread to thread, and after threading in the steering clevises, it gave me a 13 1/2" tie rod pivot centerline. A bit more than I had hoped for, but as narrow as I could find with out going to one of those trick Howe type units. Wicked was the choice for the electric power steering gear (this was the first time I learned that they even made electric P/S units. That's how long I've been away from the industry before coming into this project!), and I later added dual Fox steering stabilizers after breaking the steering gear in the first race out. The tie rods are 1" x .095" 4130, with 5/8" x 5/8" FK JMX series rod ends (l.h. and r.h. threads for in place adjustments) at all pivots. Got to get a couple more hours in before bed time. I'll go into the control arms tomorrow.

Thanks for your inquiry. People who know me know that our car is an open book. My hope is that even experienced fabricators can pick up something from this journal, but more so to give the beginners some insight to the whole process of designing, building, and maintaining a purpose-built race car.

Wow I Reid all this stuff that goes into a race-build

Never really had much of an idea of what really goes into Building and Driving a Winner

You guys certainly are a Great Team

Can't Waits to see you guys at V2R

Guess I don't have to get that Crystal-Ball!!!

Thinking of putting a-lot of penny's on thebadassmav team

Thank-You and every-one for all this way-good info

My understanding is that it will have feature(s) that are not yet available to the masses. More importantly though, is they will be one-off shocks with extended and compressed lengths custom made to accommodate my suspension, and will be internally bypassed with external adjustability. I need to stay with 2.5" body's for clearance reasons which is o.k due to the low motion ratio i designed into the suspension. Our current shocks NEVER faded or got too hot thanks to the low motion ratio, and proper alignment relative to the pivot axis of the a arm. (Unlike the stock Maverick rear shock mounts that put excessive lateral loading into the shafts due to how far forward the top mount is positioned.)
That's great! I've been waiting on someone to come out with a externally adjustable internal bypass. I started working with a company to have some built but I haven't gotten too far into it yet. I was wondering when Fox was going to get on it, now I know.

Damage Control:
The more I take apart the car, the more my immediate future sucks! The car at the Baja was as slow as it has ever been. The 74 mph top speed our GPS summary displayed, was by no means a sustainable speed. Marc rarely took it over 65 mph because when he did, the belt temp skyrocketed. As I said before, we spank the competition in the rough areas, and that fact will be substantiated throughout the tear down. The red flag for me in these pics, is by far the pic with the spherical bearing pushing its way out of the rod end body. If it were both pivot locations that moved, it would make sense. The fact that only one bearing started to work its way out, is indicative that the spread between the two bearings changed since they were installed. I will look closely into the rigidity of the arm since it is new, and I changed the construction method used compared to that of the original arms. I'm worried that they may not be rigid enough. The P/S rear upright is toast. The circlip that retains the wheel bearing came out of its groove, and the bearing started working its way out, allowing the stub axle to gouge into the inner surface of the upright.

The lower rear a arms are original, and have seen better days going into the Baja race. Our rear end has been sagging as of late, and ground clearance was a major concern of ours. The post race arm says it all.

All of this damage that we sustained, and we still kept pushing forward. Any other UTE seeing this kind of abuse would have been sidelined for sure! It appears that the compromise I made between a light weight car, and a bullet proof car has paid off. We don't stand a chance at V2R. We might salvage a podium finish behind Branden and either Coastal, Copgnito, the Murray's or the JX car. I think the pace will be a bit fast for Johnny to podium this race. Sorry Johnny (did you notice that I quit calling him Penny? Yes, he made good on the Baja bet. I was never worried that he wouldn't!) He's just a bit too green to maintain those speeds for the duration of the race w/out succumbing to mistakes. But he sure kept us all in sight at the Baja, until he got screwed on his gas stop in San Vicente. (You should take those pennies, and pay the laggers next paycheck with them!). Gotta get back to the business at hand. I'm a man, and have work to do:D!

I'm really hoping not to find too much more damage. Doing so will make our chances of racing next month very slim. I wish I could just go to bed and sleep on it!! Back to the grind for now.

Attachments

• bent a arms 003.jpg
    bent a arms 003.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 81
  • bent a arms 005.jpg
    bent a arms 005.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 67
  • bent a arms 006.jpg
    bent a arms 006.jpg
    631.4 KB · Views: 64
  • heim separating.jpg
    heim separating.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 74
  • rear wl bng.jpg
    rear wl bng.jpg
    685 KB · Views: 66
Throw it in the guttah and go buy anothuh. May cut your losses and start fresh with the 4 seat frame build for the BAJA 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back