All UTV's non race UTV helmet choices

megadesertdiesel

what do you use? with my R1 car going stupid fast and me driving fast and taking chances i need to start wearing a helmet. i have a Pyrotect helmet with pumper input but would like something a little lighter.

i need it to be able to add the communication speakers and mic. also it would be nice to have a sunvisor on the helmet due to my half roof i run in the dunes.

sould i just buy an MX helmet and add communication? what about the Simpson sand warrior helmet? or should i just buy a pumper and use my Pyrotect along with a doughnut neck brace?

decisions decisions? what are your thoughts?

you could wire a MX helmet but I would tell you its well worth it to retain a full face helmet for the visor alone. I have the Simpson Voyager Air Pro blown and wired and its awesome, a little more heavy then the carbon fiber Simpson Devil Ray but it works amazing! If you dont mind spending some money then get the Devil Ray! You can get hooked up on Simpson products from both Magnum Offroad or Black Rhino Performance! Get that UTVUnderground discount!

i more worry about the weight of the helmet. i crashed during MX practice in the RZR a couple of years ago and had whiplash for a week. i was wearing a neck doughnut and since that ass over tea kettle crash i went with the Simpson d-cell. but would hate to have to wear that while dunning.

so mx style helmet if crap compared to a blown full face in the dunes? what if you always run up front of the pack and rerely suck roost? haha

I really like the Simpson Sand Warrior for more casual riding. Light weight and easy on and off. But for serious duning, I think that more of a helmet would be better.

Just send your current moto helmet to PCI in Long Beach...they can wire it for you, no problem. Probably cheapest solution. :)

Name brand MX helmets are light and well made but with the open eye port could be extemly noisey so to save your hearing maybe you should consider custom ear plugs vs. helmet speakers.

Several manufactorers make a helmet like the AFX Roger recommended which are cool because thy have a visor for sun and a shield for noise plus its slightly lighter than a Arai XD3, looks like it has a huge eyeport, and it carries an ECE rating.

Whats ECE? The Europeon (some say better) version of DOT & Snell, got an hour? Read more about it HERE. Its an older article but a good read.

Last, whiplash sucks, maybe you should consider a D-Cel harness vs a foam donut for neck protection.

My .02

Name brand MX helmets are light and well made but with the open eye port could be extemly noisey so to save your hearing maybe you should consider custom ear plugs vs. helmet speakers.

Several manufactorers make a helmet like the AFX Roger recommended which are cool because thy have a visor for sun and a shield for noise plus its slightly lighter than a Arai XD3, looks like it has a huge eyeport, and it carries an ECE rating.

Whats ECE? The Europeon (some say better) version of DOT & Snell, got an hour? Read more about it HERE. Its an older article but a good read.

Last, whiplash sucks, maybe you should consider a D-Cel harness vs a foam donut for neck protection.

My .02

thanks, my car is super loud and i am going with earplug style speakers just to keep the noise out. right now i wear ear plugs under my headset and its hard to hear my ipod but i can hear the comm just fine.

fullface with a sunvisor is perfect for me and a pumper would be icing on the cake too.

believe me i do not ever want whiplash again!! i bought a d-cel after that crash and wear it when i am on the track. but in the dunes it would be a major pita to wear.

thanks, my car is super loud and i am going with earplug style speakers just to keep the noise out. right now i wear ear plugs under my headset and its hard to hear my ipod but i can hear the comm just fine.

fullface with a sunvisor is perfect for me and a pumper would be icing on the cake too.

believe me i do not ever want whiplash again!! i bought a d-cel after that crash and wear it when i am on the track. but in the dunes it would be a major pita to wear.

use the donut in the dunes, easy and comfy IMO Mike.

my new buggy build will be faster than the one I just finished and I plan on wearing a helmet in this one. I wore my full face simpson on a RZR ride in G and I kinda liked it really. that is why I am looking at the AFX ones now.

Check out some of the snowmobile HJC hemets . theres some cool snowmobile helmets out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back