Need some help picking out a GPS

thekevin

I have tried using Everytrail on my phone but it doesn't seem to be real accurate. I am wanting a handheld unit to mount in my Rhino that I can use to map trails and then overlay it over Google Maps or something like that to look at it and also download other peoples mapped trails and put in my GPS when I go places to have an idea of where to go. I don't know anything about these so any help would be appreciated.

I've been looking at this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-Handheld-GPS-Navigator/dp/B003IHV6XW/ref=pd_sim_e_8"]Amazon.com: Garmin GPSMAP 62 Handheld GPS Navigator: GPS & Navigation[/ame]

Most everyone has said go Garmin, and this is packed with some great features.

I hope it helps.

For a handheld I would look at the Garmin 60Csx if you can find one...Amazon still had some. If not then the 62. For an in-car unit, I would look at the Lowrance units. I just scored on a older 540c Lowrance for my in car and they are on Craigslist often, but I always carry a Garmin 60Csx incase I need to hike back to camp or give it to someone else to go get help.. Or just go new and get a unit from PCI Radios that fits your budget. They have a great selection. I know theres some good apps like MotionX out there, but I still prefer a dedicated GPS with WAAS reception.

IMG_20131018_130840_zpsf2e884f9.jpg

We carry the Garmin GPSMap 62S and have been happy with it. Ram Mounts supports this GPS as well so you can mount it virtually anywhere.

Here is the 62s:
http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=-7988244793539002111

If you did want to go with a larger unit the Lowrance Elite 5M Gold is a great option. If you have a line of sight with the sky you can use the internal GPS in the unit, if not we sell a package with an antenna as well:
http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=-4518248351451414271

After my trip today and getting turned around its time for a gps. What would be good for use in and out of the car? I don't want a dedicated unit, atleast for now i would like one that is portable.

After my trip today and getting turned around its time for a gps. What would be good for use in and out of the car? I don't want a dedicated unit, atleast for now i would like one that is portable.

Garmin GPSMAP 62s....about $280 on Amazon

The # one thing to remember is GARMIN! lol I'm running a Garmin Oregon 450t. It's a great unit, has a touch screen, and while the stock backlight is a little poor, with some adjustment, and adding a white screen background (like you change a cellphone background pic), you can easily view it in any light condition. I think the new Oregon's are supposed to have better screen contrast from the factory.

I might suggest the RidersEye GPS. RidersEye allows you to instantly locate and control your power sport vehicle from any web-enabled computer, smart phone, or tablet. After logging in, owners can access location, direction, speed information, as well as unrivaled security and monitoring features including a fall-over sensor, starter disable/enable function, and SMS/e-mail security notifications. Owners can also be notified of unauthorized movement or towing of your power sport vehicle. In the unfortunate case of an actual theft, RidersEye becomes an indispensable tool for aiding police in a quick and effective recovery, minimizing the chances of crash damage or attempted disassembly.
Every RidersEye GPS location device is sealed in an advanced epoxy-based material making the unit waterproof and impervious to heat or vibrations. The device is simple to install and configure and is compact and discrete. Best of all, RidersEye draws 4MA so it doesn’t drain your battery.
Each RidersEye unit purchased includes 1 year of tracking (up to 1000 locates for 12 months from date of registration). After the first 12 months, owners will need to sign up for an updated contract for continued tracking directly through RidersEye. Once purchased, accounts can be activated within 24-48 hours.

- Simple to Install and configure
- Compact and discrete
- Only Draws 4MA (Does not drain your battery)
- Vibration Resistant and WATERPROOF
- Sealed in epoxy based casing
- Impervious to heat and harsh elements
- Real-time GPS tracking
- Towing/unauthorized movement or alerts
- SMS and email security alert notifications

NOTE: Subscription Renewal with Riders Eye is Required After First "FREE/INCLUDED" 12 Months of Service is Completed.

- Service renewal fee is $29.95 a year and comes with 500 locates.
- Customer can renew their subscription online when they log into their personal Rider's Eye account. If the customer wants to renew online they simply log in to their account and click "manage" and they will be given the option to renew.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back