Montana

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Non UTV related except for the punk kid and his dad.
Made it to Montana, sleeping in a Teepee, riding in the hills, fesh snow in the mountains, yes its cold but, the air is so clear, NO SMOG. more to follow.
644-montana.jpg

Here’s the story, after we got home from the races Sunday morning we unloaded, put everything away, loaded up 3 dirt bikes, 5 bicycles, and headed for Stateline Sunday night (we almost got cleaned out by a run away motor home coming down into Stateline, off the K rail and curbs and he saved it).

Left Stateline Monday morning and drove till we got to Fairmont MT, about 10 minutes from Butte. Got in about 1am and it was Fn cold, was snowing when we drove across the Continental divide.

We rented a teepee to sleep in and are riding at a place called Pipestone which has about 700 miles of trails that are smooth and fast, not whooped out & worked like the stuff were used too in SoCal.

We did 51 miles of tight single track Tuesday and I can’t feel my knees today.
The boys are prepping the bikes, I’m loading up on Advil and were back at it today.
647-crossing.jpg

645-cabin.jpg

646-endless.jpg

We did 71 miles today, I can’t feel my knees or butt. Don’t know what it is about the forest, stupid trees keep jumping out in front of me. Had two encounters with them today, one at hi-speed, I shoulda got hurt.

The weather is awesome, in the day time but pretty dang cold at night and yes a UTV would fit on some of the trails, stock Rhino width I think would be the max but a stock RZR would prolly do most. Pretty narrow with a lot of single track.
649-water.jpg

650-hmm.jpg

648-loaded.jpg

My mom got a new knee last Monday, shes a little behind in healing where she wanted to be so Im not get out as much as I thought since were now in Missoula.
The boys been hitting the local skate park every morning then doing MTB.Went to an Osprey baseball game last night (rookie team for the D-Backs) and got to hit Snobowl today for some downhill MTB.
Missoula is heaven, Im looking for a job......:cool:
The lift
678-lift.jpg

The crew
679-crew.jpg

The Trail
680-turn.jpg

Codes air
681-air.jpg

My air
682-my-air.jpg

This guy almost wrecked me! Thats where he stopped after jumping up in front of me.
683-deer.jpg

Last one from our Montana trip

The boys getting ready to go River Boarding, cruise down a cat 5 river on boogie boards. The owner wast so sure about taking them because of their age but I assured they would be just fine...the guy was actually suprised I would let them go.......go figure;)

690-river.jpg

Looking over the top of the family cabin out on to Flathead Lake, was built by g-pa in 1947. Capitol gains is goin to be a killer

688-outside.jpg

687-inside.jpg

2nd cousins by marriage twice removed, Code & Kyle Bunyan.

689-cousins.jpg

The whole reason for coming to Montana, a model of my moms knew knee. Had to babysit mom while she recovered.

691-knew-knee.jpg

Thats it, over to the fireworks stand to load up on supplies;), hit Ski Solitude on our way home for some more down hill MTB then back to work, unless I take that job offer I got from Missoula Water & Power....:cool: all this discussion about 2nd seat, clutches, and .5mm doesnt seem so important right now. ;)

Last edited:
Wow Doug! I am totally envious...well except for old Bunyans purple wetsuit! I would look like barny in that thing! LMAO Looks so awesome, the cabin is bitchin! Have a safe trip home buddy! I am sure you will have plenty of opinion on the race junk when you return! Thanks for teasing us with your trip updates!!!

Drive Safe!

Well, we did 4100 miles total. Got within 140 miles of the Canada border and we live 15 mile from the Mex border so I think we pretty much covered it.

Our last day we were supposed to go to Ski Solitude out side of Salt Lake for some more downhill mountain bike but we got to the campgrpound to late Friday night and ended up sleeping in the truck. I was pissed at first but this ended up being a good thing.

Woke up Sat morning started driving around and I saw a small sign that said Park City:eek:. Pulled out a map and found a small path over the mountains that said "Seasonal Road, 4WD only." i.e. goat trail.

Talked it over with the boys, put it in 4WD and over the top of the mountain we went, dropped into the back side of Park City Utah. Went to Deer Valley ski resort and spent the day doing some of the best down hill MTB Ive done to date.

http://www.deervalley.com/files/Bike-Map.pdf

If you into downhill, Deer Valley is a must at least once, memories of the riding made the 11 hour drive on Sunday feel like a walk in the park.....not really but it was close.

Going to Mammoth in August for a one dayer downhill run, who's in? Brian??;)

Very cool Doug! Were glad you guys made it home in one piece! Thanks for posting your trip up here, its been fun to follow!

Very nice Doug! Thanks for posting those pics! Your kid gets down!

LSRGreg and I did some downhilling in Globe Az on Saturday! It was great to be back on the bike!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hookemdevils22
Back