King Of the Hammers open invitation

Just a comment/suggestion for Jeff. I know that you would like to have a commitment of UTVers, but in the past, having the deadline for entry too early probably cuts down the number of racers. I know last year Jeff extended the deadline up to the race itself, but perhaps this coming race and in the future, he could request an early deposit, with the final fee being due 2 or 3 weeks prior to the race. And allow late entry with a penalty fee for after that. That way, the last minute guys, might be able to enter.

Wow what a weekend! I went to the Hammers with Reid and Jeff to check out what the options were and help show them what these things could do. Driving there I was looking forward to the day in the dirt... I've been a Desert Racer for years and played in Jeeps up there for even more years. I had one of the best times out there in the trails and seeing what these things could do! I had no intentions of running in the UTV race this year because my I didn't feel my desert car would be competitive, but after spending the day there Saturday I spent the whole way home strategizing on competing in the race in February!
If you have even thought about doing this race, you need to do it! It is guaranteed to be the best one so far. Jeff and HammerKing Productions are 100% behind the race and want to make it the best possible race it can be. As Reid said above damage to your vehicle shouldn't be too big of an issue, a good set of skid plates and you will be fine!
I will post photos up as soon as I can, I haven't even had a chance to look at them as I've been too busy thinking about the race and ralling the troops to help me!

I hope to have the entry form up this week.

Entry deadlines are really hard as we have so much going on with the main race. 30,000 fans and 170 ish Ultra4 racers are a lot to manage. We will leave the entry open as long as it makes sense but keep in mind its a whole lot of handfull to manage 4 races in one week, so we need a pretty good idea of participation numbers so we can be in front of it. ( I am away from a computer the 3 weeks leading up the race on site)

The course.

I have the course now built in my head I just need to spend about 10 hours in front of a computer doing the map and GPS file. We will offer a Lowrnace Down load on site for the race when you check in. Pre running will start the sunday before the race. What makes this race a little tougher is that it is held as part of the week long KOH race. This means the UTV race takes place on a thursday morning before the start of our Ultra4 contingency line. Tough for some to get off work, but our main event is held on a friday to limit the impact of recreational use in the OHV area.

We look for a 4-6 hour race that will finish most all vehicles in time for our crews to get the course adjusted for the main event. This year we will offer a remore pit stop in an effort for more cars to finish the race.

This will be the third year KOH has offered a UTV race. Finding the right balance has been tough for us but thanks to Kawasaki they have helped us learn what the UTV's can handle. I would have no second thoughts of racing a mildly built UTV in the KOH race. The only thing I can see being an issue is the plastic running board will get damaged.

The course will be a balance of all types of terrain from sand to rocks to dry lakebeds and whoops. A winch would be smart, and a co driver who is in good shape will give you an advantage.

I have two experiences with UTV now, and I have come to the conclusion that for the line of work I am in there is no better vehicle then a sidexside with a bed. I am partial to the Teryx because that is what I have been in. I have climbed a 5 foot water fall, driven the farthest points of our race course and tackled a few rock trails now with the Teryx. The best part is that I did most all of it hauling wooden stakes, a sledge hammer, and course markers. The Griffin King of the hammers might be he toughest Ultra4 offroad race on the planet, but the Sidexside is the best tool for the job of marking it out.

Hope you guys will join us this year on the lakebed. Watch www.kingofthehammers.com for the entry form and race details.

Thanks, and looking forward to another UTV trip to the Hammers.

Thanks for the information, I am filling out the entry form as we speak. I have a few questions: 1 loop race? 60-100miles approx? Is registration gonna be open on the sunday so that the GPS file can be had to pre-run? Is prerunning gonna be open Mon-Wed?

Thanks, can't wait!

Mileage is unknown untill I can set aside a few hours to make the Map, and GPS files. Looks like about 40 miles if I use the KOH Ultra4 race course as a guide. It includes two dedicated rock trails. I have a provision for a remote pit included. I am going to try an set up a test run of the course I have dreamed up. If it is too short we can give it an additional lap, but I think the 40 ish miles will be plenty with the rock trails. We have been under 50 miles the last two years.

Just gotta find someone who will sit it out and can keep a secret to go run it with me.

Course map is released when you check in on Sunday. You can pre run Monday-weds. A portion is closed for the LCQ race on Tuesday-Weds. Course is closed to pre running on Thursday so you don't have a bunch of Ultra4 cars out on the course while your racing. You will need to watch out for spectators out running the trails as we don't close the entire desert down. Most are respectful, and don't get out on the trail that early at any rate.

We will need to tech the cars no later than weds. I will have to dig up some help for that as our crews only know Ultra4 cars.

I also need to find three check points worth of UTV volunteers to work the check points that we will need for the UTV race. We have an extensive Volunteer force for the Ultra4 race but most are not online until the Thursday evening Volunteer dinner and raffle. All of our volunteers get a private Taco dinner, and raffle. The teams generally come to the raffle say thanks, hand out tons of team gear, and we give away a bunch of cool prizes. Its only open to the volunteers. They also get a speacial event shirt made just for the volunteers and get a discount on event merchandise. They get in for free as well, and get a wrist band that gets them just about anywhere.

Its the best way to experience the race. Free dinner, swag, entry,Tshirt, and direct contact with the race teams.

Best part?????? reserved camping area for volunteers....:D

Most often the Volunteers end up coming back every year, pretty cool family of people from around the world.

hey jeff I'm good with secrets.... and I might have some guys I can lend to you for check points give me a call at the shop I want to talk to you about sponsoring anyways!!

714-783-7491

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back