Hobby Stock class = 50 UTV entries

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
I think DRIVE (and BITD for that matter) would do well if they had a 'showroom stock' or 'hobby stock' class in addition to the mod open class (and the elimination of the sportsman class). The intention of the hobby stock class would be to get your more casual weekend warrior type of guy into racing. The thought would be that everything must bolt on to your UTV and the average guy could build it in a couple of nights in his garage. 4130 cage with 'x braced' doors and roof panel. Window nets, 5 pt harnesses, etc. Engine must be completely stock except for bolt on stuff such as pipe, air filter, programmer, etc. Suspension must be stock except for bolt on stuff...longer A-arms, shocks etc. Plus a stock fuel cell. Guys like Holz, Jagged XMF and Dez Toys could offer the safety items as a kit (aforementioned bolt on cage, with doors, nets, roof panel, belts, etc)...and for a couple thousand dollars a guy could go racing. He could upgrade as he went, with shocks, wheels, exhaust etc. I think this would grow to a place where this class has 50+ entries and I know not only customers would want to get involved...but dealers would too.

So with the open mod class with 20 entries and the hobby stock class with 50...we would rule the desert. Flame away! :D

I'm actually trying to implement something like that here in Texas. A great way to get more people interested and have some of them move up to the 'Pro' category later.:D

Where in Texas are you trying this?

Working with EDR to add this as part of the 2011 series. We have 3 (maybe 4) races planned at this point. We race at Texana Ranch by Blackwell, TX and out at Notrees, TX (by Odessa). Although the cars/trucks run 200+ mile races, we can run shorter distances on different days to avoid any issues.

Once plans are finalized...I will be sure to post up here.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

This is basically what BORracing.org does but in order to get event insurance to cover the UTV's with out the very strict rules or orgs like BITD or SNORE the race runs and finishes before the trucks and buggies go. So our race starts at sunrise and only goes about 150 miles. I t really works out great IMO. It legs us race without having to dump $30K into a UTV and we dont have to worry about a class 1 car knocking on the back door.

me and a few other "industry" guys have been discussing this for a couple years now. The hard part is getting orginization saftey people to accept stock fuel cells....if we could get past the fuel cell issue we could conquor this small utv turnout I believe.

Look at how many UTV's GNCC gets to turn out!

me and a few other "industry" guys have been discussing this for a couple years now. The hard part is getting orginization saftey people to accept stock fuel cells....if we could get past the fuel cell issue we could conquor this small utv turnout I believe.

Look at how many UTV's GNCC gets to turn out!

Agreed...I wonder how WORC's and GNCC get around allowing stock fuel cells. They have been racing for quite a while this way and I haven't heard of any issues.

But this hobby stock idea is the key to getting growth in UTV racing. Plus as people move up, it will eventually spur growth in the open pro UTV class.

Agreed...I wonder how WORC's and GNCC get around allowing stock fuel cells. They have been racing for quite a while this way and I haven't heard of any issues.

But this hobby stock idea is the key to getting growth in UTV racing. Plus as people move up, it will eventually spur growth in the open pro UTV class.

Here are some rules I found being used by Todd Pride out in Cali:

SCR23 FUEL TANK
Fuel tank, and fuel pump must be stock and in stock location. Stock venting must be changed to a vent tube that follows the 3 sides and down routing system. The end of the fuel tank vent tube must to routed away from the exhaust. Fuel filter is open.

Seems to be OK and accounts for fuel spillage avoidance in the event of a rollover.

Probably will adopt the same type of thing here for the Texas series. Need to get it approved by the board though.:D

The problem with stock tanks, besides spillage is they are prone to puncture and without the foam the leak very fast.

I've been screaming this for years!

Only thing I dont agree with is doing away with sportsman (The only class I can run in :) )

Most of the local racing organizations in AZ have this class with a minimal turn out.

Most of the local racing organizations in AZ have this class with a minimal turn out.

A. Not talking about 'local racing organizations in AZ'
B. Needs to be a class with 'payback.' If it is dubbed 'sportsman'...aka 'short willy' nobody will come (no pun intended).

I see the aftermarket, dealers and perhaps even the OEM's getting behind this if the numbers grow. :)

all I gotta say is GNCC...proof is in the pudding....Polaris shows love to GNCC, I think Yamaha was at one point. I will almost bet you that Can Am will show love there, not sure about Kawi.

Fact is that Manufacturers want to support and get behind classes that help them sell vehicles and what better way to showcase their products then a class that essentially races a car that the avg Joe can buy strait from the dealer add a few saftey mods too and go out and safely compete in.

A little birdy told me a couple months ago that a large off road racing organization will be adding a UTV class to their series. It wont be a motor swap class and it wont be an unlimited class......it will be a class that reflects GNCC style rules so that they can attract car count and manufacturer support!!! This organization is doing their homework. When the GNCC can host a race in Indiana and draw out 50+ UTV's there is something to be said about that.

I said it once and I will say it again, start a class where you let stock fuel cells run in stock locations, limit the motor mods, and you will begin to get good turn outs on a consitent basis, just like the old days and just like GNCC......

The problem with trying to get a stock class going with an org like SCORE, BITD etc. is running on the same course with the larger classes. Face it a UTV without all the heavy cage, and cell is a liability when the possibility exists of a TT or Class one punting them into the next county. The Formula Desert Lites, GNCC, WORCS are able to run stock tanks with some mods because we do not have that to worry about. I had rules written for a Super Stock (hobby stock) class and will bring it back if I felt like it would have a consistent turnout. I do have a STOCK class and hope to see some participation in that.

BITD BWDC the Utes didn't run with the trophy trucks.

Henderson (aka Jean) BITD the Ute's didn't run with the trophy trucks.

Parker 250 in January (BITD)...again gonna run with the bikes and quads...not with the CL1's or TT's (that is later at the Parker 425). BWGP no TT's either.

The only concern is SS300 and V2R. And there are ways to add safety to the hobby stock class...like pull them off course after 150 miles when they get a 3-4 hours head start versus the TT's.

The hobby stock class needs to offer some % payback and if dealers, the aftermarket and OEM's can get BITD, SCORE and/or SNORE level exposure they will support this and it will help the class grow.

This is why we need some more local grand prix orginazations and races! Lake Elsinore GP,Pala GP, Saboba GP,???????

These races all comply with stock fuel cells and very little saftey equipment includes cages,harness,Temp window nets. This is what makes these races a blast and drives all the guys that have never been into UTV RACING.

You all have good ideas but offroadswapmeet has a gret point. This needs to be done at the local level. If you can afford to travel and race with BiTD then you can afford to buy a pro utv. All of you guys and ladies, that are racing or have in the past will agree, the cost of the car is nothing compared to what opperating cost work out to.

This is why GNCC and WORCS have good turn outs,low entry fees and less rules.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back