All UTV's First Purchase Coming Up - Some Questions

Jafo

Thank you all for this website.

I am about to purchase my first SXS this March and am looking for some guidance. What I need is a good utility SXS, that will be able to plow the kind of snow we get up here in the Tug Hill in northern NY. We average around 200" a year.

During the other months, I will primarily be using this at my camp in the Adirondacks where it is quite rocky with occasional mud. Initially I don't plan on using this much for recreation, more just to help me do things like road repair, firewood, trail building, hunting, etc.. Speed is not a big deal for me and I definitely care more about function than I do form. I just want something that will be able to handle the terrain and not leave me stuck or wanting for power.

I am trying to spend no more than $20k (and less would be better). From what I have been building online at various manufacturers websites, my add-ons generally include simple roof, plastic window, heater/defrost, rear view mirror and complete large-as-possible plow kit with beefiest winch available.

So far, it seems to have boiled down to either the Polaris Ranger Crew XP 900 EPS or the Kawasaki FXT EPS. I have looked at other manufacturers but found them lacking in either clearance, hauling weight or are far more than I want to spend, however, I am open for more suggestions.

One thing I am unsure of, is the Polaris specs refer to "AWD/2WD/VersaTrac Turf Mode" and the Kawasaki specs are "Selectable 2WD/4WD, shaft. Dual mode rear differential with differential lock". I am not sure which is better for my situation. Any help you can provide to clear this up would be great!

Look at the Textron / Arctic Cat Havoc. The Havoc is a impressive machine, that seems to get overlooked. It has allot of cool features you won’t find on other Utility models. The engine was designed & built by Weber engines. It’s an awesome engine. Plus the top of the line Havoc is under $18K.
  • Precision-Tuned 100HP EFI Engine
  • Class-Leading 2,000-lb Towing Capacity
  • Class-Leading 13-inch Ground Clearance
  • Fox Podium QS3 Adjustable Compression Shocks with Duel Rate Springs
  • 67 lb-ft Torque
  • Standard Brush Guard and 4,500-lb WARN Winch
  • Class-Leading 24 cu-ft of Storage with Extended Cab
  • 28 inch ITP Ultracross Tires and Aluminum Wheels
  • Premium Seats
  • Standard Top
  • Hood Rack
https://textronoffroad.txtsv.com/side-by-side/rec-utility/havoc

upload_2019-2-28_23-5-28.jpeg

I previously owned a Mule ProFXT and it did not handle a lot of weight very well and I had the HD Springs.

Just read a post on here where guy was having ground clearance issues with his ProFXT when loaded.....He also had the HD Springs.

I own a Polaris general I love the thing.... I put a huge stereo system in it and have used in the dunes, mountains, hauled deer out with it it has performed nothing but flawless for me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hookemdevils22
Back