California 200 Remembrance Dedication Ceremony - Slash X/Fast-Aid/Poison Spder

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX13.jpg

Families, Friends, Volunteers, and others gather to pay respect....​

Yesterday (8/14/11) marked the 1 year anniversary of the most tragic off road racing accident in the sports history, the MDR California 200. On Saturday many who were affected by this accident including family, friends, and volunteers all gathered at the popular Slash-X Ranch restaurant and bar in Barstow, CA to be a part of a dedication ceremony organized by Fast-Aid and Poison Spyder. Slash-X Ranch owners were kind enough to offer up a section of their property to forever host the CA200 memorial statue. Slash-X Ranch is very close to the "Rock Pile" which is where the tragic accident occurred last year during the MDR California 200 race event.

The event almost had to be cancelled when on Thursday owners of the Slash-X Ranch were involved in a terrible head on collision only miles from their popular ride destination. Owner Brian Lynn would later pass away making an already somber weekend event even more heart breaking and sad. Brian's wife is still in the hospital and remains under close watch. Despite this horrific incident Slash-X Ranch relatives and employees still opened their doors to the off road community to host the event, something no one would have expected but were extremely grateful for.

It was apparent that emotions still run high when it comes to the memory of the accident. Family and friends of those who perished or were injured still are grieving and the loss of their loved ones is still so very painful. While the pain of losing a friend or relative is still very near it is an amazing thing to see how those around the off road community have come together to ensure the memories of those will never be forgotten.

On Saturday I rode up to Barstow for this dedication ceremony with my friends Pat Dailey of Fast-Aid and Austin "Fish" Farner of Race-Dezert.com to participate in the dedication ceremony and the Fast-Aid fundraiser put on by Poison Spyder. Friend and UTVUnderground.com member Lucas Hand (HDRA1) of Fast-Aid spent the last few days with a few other volunteers preparing a place for this amazing monument to be placed in memory of those who passed on. The statue and location is also a reminder for all of us to never forget. The work that Lucas and those other volunteers did was nothing short of perfect. Steve "Chappy" Hansen of Racers For Christ offered up a beautiful tear jerking speech and prayer that reminded us all to live life to the fullest. Chappy's prayer was uplifting and positive and really left us with a feeling of fulfillment that despite the tragic events there is still so much positive that will come about due to this tragedy.

While there is so much detail on how this event went down I think my buddy Fish summed it up the best in his RDC feature which you can read here: MDR California 200 Memorial at Slash X » race-deZert.com

Please take a moment to read his break down on the event and how it all came together.

In the end it felt good to once again gather with our off road family. While we still mourn the loss of friends, family, and fellow off-roaders we must remain positive that their lives were not lost in vein. We must learn from this accident, the mistakes that were made, and always remember that life is fragile and can be removed from us at any moment. We must never lose sight of what is really important to us all, life may not be forever but memories and decisions made can and will live on. 8 people died, 22 people suffered injury, thousands have been affected. We must never forget....

Huge thank you to Fast-Aid for all of their support to the families of those involved in this accident. Their tireless work and organization of our donations has paid for funeral costs and medical bills. Without Fast-Aid it is fair to say that the response from volunteers to help these victims financially would have been much less than what was produced. I encourage all of you to not wait for another tragedy but to please donate regularly to Fast-Aid: Fast-Aid Donations page to Help Support Desert Racing - FAST-Aid They are a one of a kind organization looking out for the greater good of those injured in the sport we all love!

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX3.jpg

The memorial is made of stainless steel, fully tig welded, and bead blasted to last a lifetime!!

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX2.jpg

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX4.jpg

Lucas and other volunteers placed the memorial in a ribbon shapped rock garden that is surrounded by 8 trees to remember those who passed away, 22 shrubs and 22 lights to remember the 22 who were injured.

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX10.jpg

CHP first responders offered a fly over to add to the days awesome festivities

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX12.jpg

Lucas Hand (LEFT) and Steve "Chappy" Hansen (RIGHT) gave heartwarming speeches and offered up a prayer of remembrance during the dedication ceremony

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX11.jpg

Many were on hand.....

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX14.jpg

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX15.jpg

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX16.jpg

Todd Frantzich, father of Danica Frantzich spends a moment with the newly dedicated statue/monument.

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX20.jpg

Trophy Truck driver Rick D. Johnson raised $350.00 for Fast-Aid just by raffling off a ride in his Trophy Truck this week!!!

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX7.jpg

UTVUG sponsors Baja Designs donated lights for the raffle!

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX8.jpg

Many prizes were raffled off and many prizes were auctioned in a silent auction including 2 limited edition commemorative bottles of Azunia Tequila from last years 2010 Baja 1000! Which I won for a $100 BTW!!!

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX6.jpg

Pat Dailey on the phone with Pistol Pete in attempt to get Pete to join in a side bet at the next race which will benefit Fast-Aid....

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX5.jpg

Rick L. Johnson pitching his idea to all of us of this side bet.....

California200Fast-AidMemorialDedicationatSlashX17.jpg

The infamous Dan200 even made the drive out from AZ to do his part as a Fast-Aid board member and support this awesome event!​

great pics
me and dan#2 got there a little late ...we made it for the raffle
it was a very emotional day for all ..

They did a great job on placing it and landscaping. Its an honer to be friends with the founders and board members of Fast-Aid. They are an amazing group!

If anyone is curious about Fast-Aid and how funds were distributed and what they are doing with remaining donations check out this post that Fast-Aid President Jared Tetzlaff made on RDC

Fast-Aid - A Year in Review

thank you all for taking the time to look at this and joey thank you for making it out there. it was a lot of hard work to get it done. a lot of sleepless nights trying to figure out the right thing to do with such an awesome monument. i hope everyone gets a chance to take the time to go see it my favorite time to see it is at sunset just as it is starting to light up

If you do make it out there take some water and give the trees and plants some love as it something we all were effected by

thank you
Lucas Hand

LUCAS DID WELL TOO. CHAPPY DID AMAZING ESPECIALLY SINCE HE JUST LOST HIS HOUSE TO A FIRE. THANKS FOR SHARING.

is anybody going out this year? people from dezert rangers are doing a ride on aug 9th, but i will be stuck in vegas checking on a family member. i will be overnight camping at the rockpile on aug 17th which seems to be a closer date to when the race would normally run. or maybe second sat of the month would be correct. we went five years in a row. and were at the rock pile that night 8-14-10 and we will never forget.

crap. i thought it was the 16th this year. so i headed to vegas on the 8th. i forgot its always the second sat. and the 1st was on a friday. anyways seen the pictures on dezert rangers. they had a good crowd this year. so im still camping at the rockpile this sat. bbq, cold beer. pay my respects and reflect on that night in 2010. maybe shoot some video with the quadcopter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back