BITD rules

Phxfe

I read through the rules, was just looking for a little clarification. You can extend the wheelbase by 8", but the motor needs to stay in the same place. I would assume then that if the rearend isn't directly attached to the motor then you could move that? Can you take out all the 4wd components? It says you need to keep the transmission the same type that came with it. Does that mean I could use any type of cvt, just as long as it's a cvt? Sorry if this has all been asked, just wanted to make sure.

Motor, diffs, basically the whole drivetrain is supposedly intended to stay where it was mounted from the factory. Now there is a car that moved the front forward by mounting the arms to the front of the factory mounts and adding an additional mount in front of that. When that happened, I am guessing the front diff went forward too. By that logic, the front and rear "frame" sections could be moved back about 1.5-2" and still be "stock". I know you can take the front diff out as Cory ran that way for a long time in his rhino. The 8" stretch was intened to allow for suspension that moves the tires forward/back by a couple inches. Now it has been interpreted different ways. Sportsman has no wheelbase restrictions and DSR1 will allow a wheelbase stretch up to 103 inches becuse that is the length of a factory RZR4. I can tell you from experience that 120mph in a short wheelbase bike powered car is extremely dangerous. If you are planning a swap to big HP, strongly consider a longer wheelbase. In the sportsman class any transmission type can be used. CVT or Bike. In the PRO class, it must be a stock case and stock style CVT system. If you swap any motor, it goes to the DSR1 or Sportsman class. I am building a bike powered car right now and my final decision is whether to use the Hayabusa motor in my garage (dry sump, alternator kit, lock up clutch, etc) and race sportsman or go with a 1000cc motor and run DSR1. On another forum there is a guy who swapped a RX-1 snowmobile motor (basically a CVT R-1 motor, I have one of those on the shelf too) and he will be racing sportsman.

Hope that helps

Honestly...the best thing to do for BITD rules is to call call Cory Sappington directly and you will be dealing wth 'judge and jury.'
My understanding is that yo can extend the wheelbase a bit, but can't change A-arm pick up points etc. As for 4wd, yes you can eliminate it, but why. I ran with Holz in 2009 in a 2wd RZR, but the bobsled is 4wd and we run it in 4wd all the time. If you are worried about weight...you can lose it other places.

I plan on racing in the pro class. I sold my rhino a few years ago, was planning on racing a different class, but the utv's are really to fun. Now that the new ones have the power now I think soon we could start racing with other 4 wheel vehicles. I am just waiting for the new wildcat to come out and to see if I want to go that direction.

I agree with Matt call Cory and he cant tell you. Every one has there own interpretation of the rules and Cory's interpretation is the one that matters.

The rules state that you have to keep the motor in the stock location, keep the OEM rear diff, keep the main frame rails with the intersecting braces and keep the A-arm mountings in the original location and of the OEM style, but they can be braced. Nothing states that you can't move the diff's or remove the front all together.

SCR26: Transmission​
Required:​
Every vehicle must use the stock transmission and clutch design. Every vehicle must have a functional reverse gear. The stock rear differential must also be used.​

ENGINE, LOCATION, AND DISPLACEMENT:
All UTV vehicles must use stock engine cases and cylinder head.​
Engine displacement and location may be checked by UTV Racing Association. The UTV Racing Association reserves the right to mark engine blocks prior to an event.
All vehicles must use the same fuel delivery system as stock and designed by factory. Electric fuel pumps are permitted in accordance with Best in the Desert's safety requirements for fuel pumps.

CHASSIS AND BODY:​
All UTV vehicles​
must utilize the stock chassis and maintain stock appearance. The chassis may be modified for durability and strength but must retain the stock width, length, and configuration.
The stock UTV cage may not be used because no bolt on connections to chassis are allowed. All joints must be welded and attached to frame securely.

So basically, the 8" of wheel base can be added with changes in the suspension arms, and not in the chassis or suspension mounting points, Correct?

So basically, the 8" of wheel base can be added with changes in the suspension arms, and not in the chassis or suspension mounting points, Correct?

Yes, you can put in J-arms to lengthen the wheelbase. But the frame cannot be cut and lengthened.

Does Jagged X maintain stock lower chassis? Isn't there chassis all chromoly tubing? Unfortunately the rules for the UTV class are very fluid.

Does Jagged X maintain stock lower chassis? Isn't there chassis all chromoly tubing? Unfortunately the rules for the UTV class are very fluid.

They have the stock main frame rails in their car.

I think while the class is new, for the first several years or maybe even longer, the rules need to remain a bit fluid so that more cars are racing and such. It might make it harder for a low-buck group to build a car against bigger outfits like Jagged, but sometimes that's what has to be allowed to grow the class.

Stock location to me means there is no reason you can't have a 3rd new location point but still use the original two. That also seems to mean you can use the stock diff but move it back and extend the drive shaft and pickup a 3rd mount for the arms.

Stock location to me means there is no reason you can't have a 3rd new location point but still use the original two. That also seems to mean you can use the stock diff but move it back and extend the drive shaft and pickup a 3rd mount for the arms.

Correct, that's what I understand. My diff is moved back and the driveshaft is lengthened, but I went with J-arms in the back. Also by using J-arms instead of the 3rd mounting point, I was able to have more clearance for the axle in the up and down motion.

As stated, our car has 100% of it's main frame rails and all intersecting braces as per the rules. I'd also agree that if you want to "maximize" the rules, get Cory's blessing up front and have open communication with him as we did. The rules are definately a little vague, but he is the man to tell you where the line is and when you've crossed it. .02

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back