2011 BITD Henderson 250 Race Wrap Up & Pictures by UTVUnderground.com

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_003.jpg

Coastal Racing / Holz Racing Debut NEW Polaris RZR XP900

Well it was cold, cool, and freezing! The 2011 BITD Henderson 250 was not the most challenging of courses but story lines were made and battles were waged. Coming into the race Matt Parks had a small points lead over Jagged X and Murray Racing. With this being a double points race it could have been anyone's championship to win, but once Jagged X had to pull off course to address some vehicle issues it became Parks championship to lose. Nonetheless Murray Racing in their Can-Am Commander 1000 did not roll over. Clicking off the miles Derek and Jason Murray got faster and before they knew it were breathing down the neck of the current points and race leader Matt Parks. Parks in his 1932 Polaris RZR4 was hard charging all day but was having some rear suspension / shock problems causing for some harsh bottoming out. This pounding the car was taking was enough for them to pull over to perform a rear shock adjustment. This adjustment gave Murray enough time to get around them and from there the 1917 never looked back. The Murray Racing Can-Am Commander was able to deliver Can-Am their first BITD UTV win ever, unfortunately for them it just wasn't enough to edge out Parks who would still retain the BITD season points championship.

UTVUnderground wants to extend a huge congrats to both Matt Parks and his 1932 Baja Bobsled for taking home a hard faught championship. You would be hard pressed to find anyone involved in this sport who would say that Parks didn't deserve to win this year. The 1932 battled for the win in every race this season and because of that were able to clinch a well deserved season championship. UTVUnderground is proud to have the 1932 as part of our team, and I am personally proud to call Matt a friend. From top to bottom Matt Parks shows class in hos he carries himself, how he races, and how he prepares his car and team.

UTVUnderground also wants to congratulate Murray Racing on their win. While it is easy for the winner of the race to be overshadowed by the one who wins the season championship it is important to point out that Murray Racing has been fighting off issues all season long while working out the bugs on a new race UTV. No one had competed a full season on a Can-Am Commander yet so this was a big challenge to get this UTV dialed in. It took them a season but it showed in this race that they have finally figured it out and that their Can-Am can and will compete against the Polaris lineup of awesome race machines that compete in the BITD series. Much of what I said about Parks I can say about Murray. Derek, no matter the circumstances is always courteous and polite, he always exudes professionalism and is a just an all around great person. I look forward to all they have to offer next year in competing in their car.

Despite a bummer race for them I do not want to overlook the Jagged X team. I think most would agree that Jaged X has set the bar for UTV desert racing and their drive and development is a huge reason we are seeing the caliber of cars competing in this series. Anytime a Jagged X UTV lines up to race you know they men business and you know you have some very worthy competition, no matter the series or race. If Jagged X built a NASCAR I would put money on them doing well! Even though they didn't perform the way they wanted to a the HEnderson 250 they still completed the race, they still were at the finish line to congratulate the winners and finishers, and they still intend on coming back to battle next year. They fly the UTVUnderground colors proud as do most in the series, and for that we are thankful!

I want to give special mention and props to the John Deere racing programs. These UTV's, the Gator's, are not your prototypical racing platforms yet Scott Martinez and Lucas Hand respectfully built machines that were able to compete in the toughest off road racing series in the Unites States. Both teams had their problems learning how to turn a working farm vehicle into competitive desert race UTV's. I am proud to have been able to support both these guys in one way or another and I was extremely excited to see Lucas Hand's 1913 get the finish they deserved at the last race of the season. My fingers are crossed that both teams will be back next year!

Well, thats my rough wrap up of the year. I want to thank each every team who represented for UTVUnderground this year, Lacretia and the Rockstar Racing Team, Sean Cook in his Fabtech RZR, Mike Lasher and the Monster Energy Kawasaki Teryx, Bobby Raber, Michael Lansky, and all of those I am forgetting. Thank you very much, I can't begin to tell you how proud I am to see your cars with our colors on them ripping up the deserts of Nevada. I am proud to call many of you friends and I am super excited for Parker next month!!! See you all in 2012!!!!

EDIT: Jagged X actually came into the 2011 Henderson 250 with the Points lead.

Special thank you to Vincent Knakal of Mad Media for waking up early to come shoot pics with me!!!! Many of these pics are his and I am stoked to be working with such respected and talented photographers such as him!

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_002.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_005.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_007.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_006.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_004.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_011.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_009.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_015.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_014.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_016.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_019.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_008.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_018.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_001.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_013.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_020.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_022.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_023.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_024.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_025.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_026.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_017.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_010.jpg

2011BITDHenderson250ByUTVUndergroundVinnyKnakal_003.jpg

Last edited:
Derek, congrats on the WIN brother. Way to go on completing the season with the Cn am. I am sure you guys will kick ass next as well

Great pictures and love the coverage. Congrats to the Murray brothers on winning the first big Desert Race for Can Am. Lets not forget that Can Am just entered the SXS market one short year ago and now they won a BITD race. Awesome.

SXS racing is taking HUGE leaps each year and I cant wait to see what will be out there this time next year!!!!!

Congrats to the MURRAY BRO'S and well deserved. These guys have been working hard for 2 years in BITD and its nice to a 1st place finish. Its awsome to see a CanAm take the first WIN of the season beacuse the COMMANDER can haul the mail! There first build was inspired by UTVunderground and thats why we love this place.

WAY TO GO MURRAY RACING!! CAMANDO

See you guys in 2012 at the MINT 400..

GREAT PIX & RECAP JOEY AS USUAL, YOU ARE THE KING OF PIX. THANKS FOR SHARING. CONGRATS TO THE MURRAYS FOR BRINGING CAN AM THEIR FIRST WIN IN BITD. CONGRATS TO PARKES ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP. GOOD LUCK TO ALL NEXT SEASON.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
I had a blast racing this year and really love racing in The Best in the Desert series. Casey and Diane do an excellent job and they should be commended making BITD the premier UTV desert racing series. Plus Cory Sappington has always been there to push UTV desert racing.

I want to give Jagged X a shout out for racing us hard all year. They are a great team and are a blast to hang out with. This year could have gone either way. Congrats to Murry for the win at Henderson.

I would like to thank Mark at Holz Racing Products for building a fast and reliable RZR, and for the help with the driving duties at Vegas to Reno. Thanks to Randy and RJ at Walker Evans Racing for the support. Thanks to Kevin at Kroyer Racing Engines for building a kick butt 800cc motor that could keep up with the big boys. A special thanks to Jason and Todd at Desert West Off Road for the excellent race prep (602) 689-3740. Thanks to Rob and Curt at Muzzy's. I sincerely appreciate all of the support this year from Maxxis tires. Thanks to Tire Balls and to Tim and Bones at OMF. Rob Utendorfer designed the great looking wrap for the Bobsled. Thanks to Pure Polaris Lubricants. Do I need to thanks WD-40?

We had five different people in the RH seat this year. Thanks to Andrew, Mark, Jason, Rob and Mike who had the stones to ride. And Jason was crazy enough to co-dog with me 4X! :eek:

Thanks to the entire Baja Bobsled team for support, pitting, chasing, preping, radio support, strategy, comedy, tacos, making sure the mountains were always 'blue,' and slapping sense into me when needed. They are Todd, Jason, Bill A, Bill R, Andrew, Rob U, Mike C, Bryce, Craig (aka midget racing), Aaron D, Kevin McN, Danny Flower (no 's'), Nolan, Kyle, Dave/Max (I now forgive you for not showing up at pit#5 at the SS300...haha), and Donna.

And all of us racers need to give a special thanks to Joey D, for supporting us at the races, for the race coverage on UTVUG and Race Dez, for the kick butt photography and finally for giving us a place to bench race on the interweb. Woot...woot!

MP

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
I had a blast racing this year and really love racing in The Best in the Desert series. Casey and Diane do an excellent job and they should be commended making BITD the premier UTV desert racing series. Plus Cory Sappington has always been there to push UTV desert racing.

I want to give Jagged X a shout out for racing us hard all year. They are a great team and are a blast to hang out with. This year could have gone either way. Congrats to Murry for the win at Henderson.

I would like to thank Mark at Holz Racing Products for building a fast and reliable RZR, and for the help with the driving duties at Vegas to Reno. Thanks to Randy and RJ at Walker Evans Racing for the support. Thanks to Kevin at Kroyer Racing Engines for building a kick butt 800cc motor that could keep up with the big boys. A special thanks to Jason and Todd at Desert West Off Road for the excellent race prep (602) 689-3740. Thanks to Rob and Curt at Muzzy's. I sincerely appreciate all of the support this year from Maxxis tires. Thanks to Tire Balls and to Tim and Bones at OMF. Rob Utendorfer designed the great looking wrap for the Bobsled. Thanks to Pure Polaris Lubricants. Do I need to thanks WD-40?

We had five different people in the RH seat this year. Thanks to Andrew, Mark, Jason, Rob and Mike who had the stones to ride. And Jason was crazy enough to co-dog with me 4X! :eek:

Thanks to the entire Baja Bobsled team for support, pitting, chasing, preping, radio support, strategy, comedy, tacos, making sure the mountains were always 'blue,' and slapping sense into me when needed. They are Todd, Jason, Bill A, Bill R, Andrew, Rob U, Mike C, Bryce, Craig (aka midget racing), Aaron D, Kevin McN, Danny Flower (no 's'), Nolan, Kyle, Dave/Max (I now forgive you for not showing up at pit#5 at the SS300...haha), and Donna.

And all of us racers need to give a special thanks to Joey D, for supporting us at the races, for the race coverage on UTVUG and Race Dez, for the kick butt photography and finally for giving us a place to bench race on the interweb. Woot...woot!

MP

Congrats on the win Matt! It was well deserved and well earned you guys showed that consistency pays off!

I think the only thing you forgot in your victory speech was the Boooya for casey!

What a fun year of racing it was in BITD! There is truly a great group of guys who run in this series, and what a difference it makes. Like Matt said, BITD is the premier off-road desert series, and Casey runs a wonderful program in assistance with Cory who does tons behind the scene and in front to build UTV desert racing.

Congrats to all the racers who competed! Especially Matt who ended up on top this season with the championship. Also to Brandon and the whole Jagged crew who are always leading the way in this sport. The bar has been raised this season, and we know who we will be gunning for. 2012 is going to be fierce!

Thanks you to everyone for the support it is truly appreciated. We were happy to run a clean race and bring a well earned win to Can Am in there first year out!

Hopefully we will see many new teams and UTV manufactures involved for 2012.

And as always, Cheers to Joey for this wonderful site and all he does!!!

We posted our race report under a new thread Murray Racing Henderson 250.

UTVUnderground's other photographer David Pyles of DGPPhotography.com captured these images for us!

093-prep-UTV.jpg

105-prep-UTV.jpg

112-prep-UTV.jpg

132-prep-UTV.jpg

132-prep-UTV.jpg

142-prep-UTV.jpg

143-prep-UTV.jpg

230-prep-UTV.jpg

241-prep-UTV.jpg

242-prep-UTV.jpg

255-prep-UTV.jpg

268-prep-UTV.jpg

Cook Off-Road Racing Press Release....

Well the dust has finally settled on the 2011 BITD season and for some of us it wasnt pretty. We placed 6th overall. The Fabtech UTV team (aka Cook Off-Road Racing) never gave up, we had 5 engine failures at 5 races not the kinda thing that wins championships, but nevertheless we worked through our issues and with the help of Trevor at Cal Custom Polaris we pulled a rabbit out of the hat for Henderson. We purchased a crate rzr S motor and we were off to the races. The Fabtech Rzr never missed a beat at Henderson, a true testament to "Keep it Simple".

The Fabtech team came together early this year when we added our newest sponsor and co-driver Tammy Faulkner of Pink Divas apparel. We not only got Tammy but the complete package with her husband Dan, her father, and who could forget Deanne and Velvet, Instant pit crew.

My Crew Chief Jeff Correia was simply amazing, coming to my house during the week working late into the night, pulling the motor umpteen times. He was the cornerstone of our program.

And who could forget our Pit Queen yes my wife Gina, she was the voice in my radio that kept me calm during the many disasters, she stepped up and took care of all our pit needs including running the chase vehicles across the desert.

The rest of the team, Ricky Leard of TRM, this is the guy you want to have in the desert when things go wrong, my sons Colton and Brendan for filling in behind the wheel and for their never ending support for me and the sport, love you guys.

And finally a big thank you has to go out to my other co-driver whom I co-drive with in the VORRA series Dennis Jean #1959, he has been one of my best friends and closests allies this season, when things were really looking down at V2R he pulled me aside to tell me we can make this better, and we did!!

I would like to thank our many sponsors for without them we could not do what we do, Fabtech Motorsports(the name says it all), Rigid Industries Damon and Taylor you guys are the bomb, you made daylight in the dark your lights are unbelievable!, NOS Energy Drinks, gave us that little extra push when we had to pull a late night thrashing on the car, Maxxis Tires, Scott and Heather you guys gave us tires that never went flat looking forward to them for next year,Red House BBQ Manno you kept us fed with some of the tastiest BBQ in the world, Optima Batteries Jimmy Day you kept us charged and running, Muzzy Performance Murray thanks for the bolt on power from our exhaust, Holz Performance Matt who was always there for my questions, OMF Wheels Tim and Bones great guys, Torco Motor Oils Ernie thanks for all your lubricating support, Rugged Race Products Chris can you hear me now thanks for the radios, Cal Hot Coatings Alex you always came through for us with your fabricating and powder coating skills.

This is my 2011 racing summary, we here at Cook Off-Road Racing have learned so much this past season that we can't wait to attack the 2012 season. You can look for us to be at all the Best in the Desert races, VORRA races, and some HDRA races the season finale will see us at the starting line for the Baja 1000, yes you heard it the BAJA 1000 this will be our year! Look forward to seeing some of you next year, and thanks for all the support this past year.

Sean Cook
Cook Off-Road Racing #1930

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back