What does it cost to get into desert racing?

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Somebody on the Baja 500 thread asked how much it would cost to build a desert racing UTV. Amos said $50k. I am not saying he is wrong, but wow...that seems high to me, but I guess it depends on what UTV you start out with and how you approach it. The Jagged X rig would cost much more than $50k. But I have seen some hit the starting line that just look they fabbed up and installed a cage and aluminum in the garage, put in seats, belts and a fuel cell and went racing. I am guessing no more than $10k not including the UTV.

What does everybody else think? How much (minimum) would it cost to build a BITD legal desert sled (not including the purchase price of the Ute)?

ps...I never added up what I spent. I kind of don't want to know...haha

What does everybody else think? How much (minimum) would it cost to build a BITD legal desert sled (not including the purchase price of the Ute)?

ps...I never added up what I spent. I kind of don't want to know...haha

I'mincluding the cost of my 2011 BRP Commander X (about 18k OTD) but it adds up fast...Turnkey/Elka suspension (about $6500) 10 EW rims (what I think I need for long desert racing) $3k 10 tires (1.5k) Fabing up a SCORE legal cage and car(7-10k) Rigid lights (2.5k) seats and belts (1k) Alum body ($1K) Fuel tank (1k) and there's a ton of other stuff like Lowrance GPS (1.2K) and radios/intercom (1k) Exhaust (1.2k) and spares...I'm sure I'm north of 50k but like you, I'd rather not know... but I think I have done many things that somebody that's doing BITD doesn't need to do... and I figured a shop doing the labor... if you do it yourself...and don't go to the extremes I did...and skimp on everything...I think you might be lucky do do it under $10k.. but I doubt you have a competitive rig..I bet it takes north of $60-65k to do Jagged's car (and I'm probably light if they were to charge building it for somebody else)... like to see where they weigh in..

I can build a CanAm Commander for $ 12000 plus the cost of the UTV. I can get a Commander 1000 for $13000 or less, so the total cost is around $25000. The Commander requires no engine mods to be competitive, this is a big cost savings. I also provide pit support for the race Commanders I build, another cost savings.

The cost to race BITD series for one season is estimated to be $10000, this includes entree fees, IRC fees, chase truck gas for 2 trucks and gas for race UTV. This does not include hotels, food or fuel to travel to the race.

I was the one asking about cost, but only after the car is built. My RZR XP is being built this summer for desert. I raced quads in the desert and for the last year and half I have been racing a RZR 800 in VORRA and WORCS series. The differance in cost from quad to UTV I know is big so just wanted an idea. Thank you

Who won the UTV class at the Baja 500?

Nobody, because nobody finished. This is why I keep hammering on Sal Fish to make a PRO UTV class so the 'best of the best' will be inclinded to race in Baja. I am not taking anything away from those do...or have raced in Baja, but there needs to be a PRO class for several reasons. Amos is correct that there is nothing like Baja.

(damn...I just hijacked my own thread...haha).

$10k Ute to race in SCORE and BITD? And how much do you spend to race the season? :eek:

Damn, why did I have to read this thread... I got curious and tallied up what I've put into my Prowler just in UTV cost and parts....
Without GPS, radio or intercom or amber/blue light bar...

$30380.....and that was being a dealer for Arctic Cat and most of the parts, so I paid cost, not retail.

No idea what the actual manhours of building it was, but I know it'll be upward of 300 hours.

I can build a CanAm Commander for $ 12000 plus the cost of the UTV. I can get a Commander 1000 for $13000 or less, so the total cost is around $25000. The Commander requires no engine mods to be competitive, this is a big cost savings. I also provide pit support for the race Commanders I build, another cost savings.

The cost to race BITD series for one season is estimated to be $10000, this includes entree fees, IRC fees, chase truck gas for 2 trucks and gas for race UTV. This does not include hotels, food or fuel to travel to the race.

What about prep of vehicle??

Prep really depends on how many miles your last race was, what you destroyed at the aforementioned 'last race' (which for me is always a lot) and what Ute your are running.

IMO minus the cost of the UTV, I don't think you can get a rig built for $10k and be close to competative in a desert race. Here is my reasoning:

• Long Travel (a MUST) minimum $4k
  • Safety Cage that meets tech minimum $1k
  • Race wheels (your stockers will not last) minimum $1k
  • Fuel cell and all the fuel safety mods (shutoff, electrical disconnect, ect) minimum $500
  • Steering rack (yea you'll need one) minimum $500
  • GSP, yes YOU WILL NEED IT, minimum $500
  • GPS software minimum $100
  • Intercom and race radio minimum $750
  • Chase radios, someone need to hear you minimum $400 (with antenna)
  • Lights minimum $500
  • Safety gear (fire suit, helmet,extinguisher) minimum $1.5k

That is $10k and doesn't include labor to install anything. Now add in spares (tires, axles, wheels, spindles, hoses, filters, fluid, CV's, ect...) and anything you might want to do to the engine (then add cooling upgrades) and your looking at pushing $20k easy.

I'm not sure how making it a pro class is going to help.If enough people race they will change it and you will win a fraction of what it costs to prepare and race.To me if your racing it for the money you are in wrong sport.

You can race the bor circut (wendover/jackpot/ely) in a stock rig with a snel helmet, 5 point harness, ext. If you mod the susp will need a cage & nets (Great bunch of guys)

One question you should ask yourself in desert racing is....

How many friends do you have that really like you and can give up work and family to pit for you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dat12
Back