UTV's in the 2013 NORRA Mexican 1000

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
The 2013 NORRA Mexican 1000 off road 'rally' is going to be taking place on April 28th through May 1st. If you are not aware of this amazing event, NORRA was the first sanctioning body for the Mexican 1000 which in turn became the Baja 1000. They reserected the Mexican 1000 three years ago as a four day, three night Baja penninsula run for vintage off road vehicles, that goes from Mexicali to Cabo. The first night stops in Bay of LA, second in Loreto and third in La Paz and it finishes in Cabo. It is dubbed the 'happiest race on earth.'

It is run in 'rally' format with transit sections (effectively un-timed) on both dirt and highway and 'specials' which are timed off road sections. Wally and Jon C completed all 1200 miles last year in an overloaded RZR 4 and had a blast. I am building a vintage truck to run it the upcoming MX1000, but wanted to make the UTV community aware of this event.

My thought was to get a bunch of UTVUG guys to band together and have an epic adventure. Yes there is a UTV class and NORRA seems to welcome everyone. If guys can get together here it would help with logistics and chase support. Legends race this and last year had the likes of Walker Evans, Michael Gaughn, Mark Stahl, Malcolm Smith, Mark McMillan, Bob Gordon and boy Robby, etc.

If you think this is some hard core, super rough event you are wrong. Effectively you drive all day and drink beer (and tell lies) all evening and do it all again the next day. :)

Here is their website. http://www.norra.com/

I had the opportunity to chase Walker Evans down the Baja peninsula two years ago for this race. It is an event I will never forget. That was probably one of the best Baja trips ever! Stopping each night to party in a new city and finishing in La Paz was insane!!! I only hope that my schedule will permit me to do it again.

NORRA-1000-2012-2011.JPG

Here is more detail on our trip down Baja for the NORRA 1000:

2012 NORRA 1000

Wally and I drove an XP 4 from Calexico to San Jose Del Cabo in a support role. We carried a videographer and his supplies on most of the race course. Incredible adventure.

Would love to do it again with the proper support/chase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back