Total exposure of our race Maverick

badassmav

Here is a detailed breakdown of the "Monster Mav". If new comers, and veterans alike can take one useful bit of information from the design challenges that we faced, then my short visit to the underground will have proved to been time well spent.
Ask any questions you like. There is no area of design or specs that are off limits. We will be displaying the car at the upcoming SEMA show in Vegas, after which it is testing time in Barstow, then back to San Diego for a few days off before our all-out assault on the 1000.
I have already began a photo-documentary of our journey on my Underground homepage. For now, you can view the images there at: http://www.utvunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=463 I will work on transferring the images, and the final chapters of our build/assembly/exposure, or what ever you may refer to it as. into this forum soon. Thanks for looking!

now thats alot of great info.

how about some pics of the alternator setup with belt installed. Did you weld or bolt a pully to the driveshaft?

Nope and nope. I've been wanting to go to SEMA for years, but haven't made it yet. Good luck at the 1000 though. Remember to finish first, you first have to finish.

now thats alot of great info.

how about some pics of the alternator setup with belt installed. Did you weld or bolt a pully to the driveshaft?
We bolted a pulley to the drive shaft. After deciding on the proper diameter of the drive pulley, we split the drive pulley in half, then welded 2 piece shaft collars to said pulley. The shaft collars then acted as the mechanical joint to bolt the pulley to the driveshaft. Pics to follow...........

Nope and nope. I've been wanting to go to SEMA for years, but haven't made it yet. Good luck at the 1000 though. Remember to finish first, you first have to finish.
It's my first time 4 SEMA, and I'm stoked! We had a lot of time to prep for Baja, and we feel that our teething pains are mostly behind us with thie new car AND class. Marc (our driver) agrees he needs to step it down a notch as well, so here we are again, confident in our chances at the finish line! But I'm not here to brag or boast. From the beginning of my Underground postings, it has been my intent to share technology and information regarding basic off road race car design principles with the masses. I looked long and hard to find a "how to" guide when I began building off road cars back in the mid 80's. People seem afraid to share their formulae for winning, or at least not breaking. As a result, I've read most every book out there at that time on race car design, fabrication, and engineering. As a result of applying that knowledge, the first car I ever built won its first race overall. Convincingly (yeah, that one's a boast!). I never meant to rub members here the wrong way. You have always been a supportrer of our efforts. Thanks-a-bunch Glamis Fan!

I think my favorite part of the whole build is the rear dif moved back 8 1/2" and removing the large angle of the rear CV's. awesome job. good luck

I think my favorite part of the whole build is the rear dif moved back 8 1/2" and removing the large angle of the rear CV's. awesome job. good luck
Yeah, that was a top priority for us. The first step in our build was to relocate both differentials in order to: A=maximize wheelbase per class rules, and B=to remove the compound working angle of the cv joints. The latter allowed us the luxury of not having to re-design the outer and inner stub axles for aftermarket cv's. It is a simple trig function to see the benefit (hp to the wheels, that is) of properly lining up the cv joints. If I recall, it meant around 15 more ponies at the rear wheels. Not to mention the durability factor. Thanks for your comments......bam

Yeah, that was a top priority for us. The first step in our build was to relocate both differentials in order to: A=maximize wheelbase per class rules, and B=to remove the compound working angle of the cv joints. The latter allowed us the luxury of not having to re-design the outer and inner stub axles for aftermarket cv's. It is a simple trig function to see the benefit (hp to the wheels, that is) of properly lining up the cv joints. If I recall, it meant around 15 more ponies at the rear wheels. Not to mention the durability factor. Thanks for your comments......bam

Yeah I totally get it. before purchasing my Mav, that was one of the first things I noticed was the steep angle on the rear CV's. I was dumb founded that the BRP engineers didn't take advantage of that cheap rwhp hp vs the cost of a little added tubing and welding.

That is a very cool build and some great info.Do you mind if I ask your new wheelbase and and ground clearance at full bump?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back