R1 Rhino build

marc177s

After long discussions with myself (and they where interesting) I decided to do a R1 build. I would like to race it in the LOORR series in the SR1 class eventually and do some Desert races also. So I'm trying to do the build with LOORRS and VORRA in mind.
I picked up an '03 Yamaha R1 motor kit at a pretty good price and a stock Rhino frame online.
So after a request from my brother I decided to post the build online. So here it is.
I'm kinda winging it right now since I really have nothing to go off of. This is my 1st UTV. I've never even rode in one. I've been printing alot of pict's from online builds though.
Since I plan on doing some Desert races and even though the LOORRS rules say I can use .095 wall 1.5 DOM tubing, I decided to take the extra weight and make the main portion of the cage with 1.5 x .120 wall DOM.
The more I get done the more exited I'm getting in driving this thing.
Seem's to be coming together okay so far.
I'll post more updates as the project goes.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
HPIM0397.jpg

Got the frame in a couple weeks ago and mocked the motor in place.
HPIM0400.jpg

Got the motor mount in from Weller Racing. I'm going to do the rear carrier a little different though. Instead of using the rotating carrier as a chain tensioner, I'm going to install a jack shaft with tapered roller bearings on each side of the mount for an external chain tensioner. I'm also going to use a chevy flywheel and a mini high torque starter for my reverse. I plan on mounting a Delco 1 wire 100 amp alternator for the juice.
HPIM0500.jpg

HPIM0501.jpg

HPIM0502.jpg

Picked up my tubing last week and started on the cage this weekend.

I actually posted this a few weeks ago, but I posted it in the Fabrication forum instead by mistake. So here it is in the Build forum.

Got to work on the Rhino a little this week. I finished off the rear carrier, chain tensioner, mounted the seats, and finished my reverse setup (I will need to make a flywheel cover though).

I'll start on the rear hubs and control arms probably this weekend.

I've decided to go with Mazda RX-7 GS rotors and calipers. It turns out the year ('84) I'm using also uses a 4 on 110mm wheel pattern, this way I can get pads and rotors for dirt cheap and at any auto parts store. I'll be running 4 wheel disc.

I also added a picture of the splined PTO shafts I'm using for the carrier and the rear stub shafts. They are 1 3/8" OD with a 1 3/4" OD splined collar. Hopefully using these shafts is overkill.

I'm actually pretty happy with the way it's coming out.

I put the tires at about 75" wide in the photo and slapped on a borrowed hood. I'm still waiting for my Empire body kit to come in.
This should be fairly close to the ride height that I'll be running for the off-road setup. I'll re-locate the shocks for short course to drop the stance a little.

If my measurements are correct, I'll have close to 17" of ground clearance and 22" of travel.

I'm holding off on doing anymore frame work till I get the body kit.

Hopefully this thing won't be too hard to figure the wiring out.

DSCF0179.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

DSCF0181.jpg

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0184.jpg

Marc,

for the rear of your rhino did you use the front or rear 1984 Mazada RX-7 caliper and rotor? if you wouldn't mind going in a little depeth on how you did the braking system.

Thanks,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back