Question about engines

So, I was contemplating using a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-Twin Horizontal Engine - 23 HP, 1in. x 2 29/32in. Shaft, Model# 386447-3079-G1 @ 627 cc

I was wondering, has anyone else ever used this motor or a similiar Briggs & Stratton engine?

They seem like a much less expensive option, for a new engine, for my home-made, new build UTV. Or is there a good reason why they aren't used?

You might find a good deal on a smaller snow mobile engine that has more performance. I would imagine not too many people use the Briggs and Stratton becuase they don't want to be mistaken as a lawn tractor. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I would imagine not too many people use the Briggs and Stratton becuase they don't want to be mistaken as a lawn tractor.

I'm not concerned with what people think by looking at the engine name, but if those types of engines offer up the same type of performance.

I guess my main concern is that if the Briggs and Stratton engines can give the full range of power, upon demand, as necessary for a side by side?

I'm not concerned with what people think by looking at the engine name, but if those types of engines offer up the same type of performance.

I guess my main concern is that if the Briggs and Stratton engines can give the full range of power, upon demand, as necessary for a side by side?

They will think your a lawn tractor because your moving so slow! The motor you listed is seriously underpowered for a SXS. Not to mention I've never heard of a B.S. engine being super long lived? They run good and are cheap but I don't think you would get the miles out of it that you would out of a factory SXS motor or a snowmobile/motorcycle engine. I'm sure you could make it work buy why put all that effort in to it when you could probably get a bike motor that worked a lot better and have something that worked well. It you aren't after speed a big shaft drive bike motor would work well. Some of them even have reverse.;)

They will think your a lawn tractor because your moving so slow! The motor you listed is seriously underpowered for a SXS. Not to mention I've never heard of a B.S. engine being super long lived? They run good and are cheap but I don't think you would get the miles out of it that you would out of a factory SXS motor or a snowmobile/motorcycle engine. I'm sure you could make it work buy why put all that effort in to it when you could probably get a bike motor that worked a lot better and have something that worked well. It you aren't after speed a big shaft drive bike motor would work well. Some of them even have reverse.;)

Ah, I understand now, thanks for the clarification as well as the info as to why they aren't used. Do you know of a place that sells OEM Replacement Fully Assembled engines of this caliber, say like Yamaha or Suzuki?

P.S. Reverse would be awesome!

There are lots of cycle junk yards on-line that will sell you engines from wrecked bikes with as many extras as you want such as wiring harnesses and gauges. Craigs list and cycle trader can also be good places to look. You can usually get the whole wrecked bike from a 3rd party cheaper than you can piece it out from a somebody who specialize's in them.
You could also get a complete motor from a dealer but you will pay a premium.
I bought a complete bike on Craigs List and not only used a ton of stuff off the bike but was able to recoup some money by selling the wheels and stuff. Here's a pic of the Suzuki GSXR powered sxs I'm just finishing up.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
There are lots of cycle junk yards on-line that will sell you engines from wrecked bikes with as many extras as you want such as wiring harnesses and gauges. Craigs list and cycle trader can also be good places to look. You can usually get the whole wrecked bike from a 3rd party cheaper than you can piece it out from a somebody who specialize's in them.
You could also get a complete motor from a dealer but you will pay a premium.
I bought a complete bike on Craigs List and not only used a ton of stuff off the bike but was able to recoup some money by selling the wheels and stuff. Here's a pic of the Suzuki GSXR powered sxs I'm just finishing up.

Looks very nice, was that a frame kit or did you build it from scratch?

With that Suzuki GSXR motor, how are you getting reverse? I had, I believe it was an '83, Suzuki GSXR1100, Holy Hell was it fast!!!

BTW, love those rear swing arms configured on the frame like that...

Looks very nice, was that a frame kit or did you build it from scratch?

With that Suzuki GSXR motor, how are you getting reverse? I had, I believe it was an '83, Suzuki GSXR1100, Holy Hell was it fast!!!

BTW, love those rear swing arms configured on the frame like that...

I built it from scratch. I did use Can-Am suspension points to make it race legal. No reverse at this time. I looked at several options but didn't find anything that I thought would work all that well for me. I might revisit it in the future.

I built it from scratch. I did use Can-Am suspension points to make it race legal. No reverse at this time. I looked at several options but didn't find anything that I thought would work all that well for me. I might revisit it in the future.

Your mention of having no reverse and how that might soon be my own problem as well, got me to searching... What do you think about using Yamaha's Ultramatic CVT Transmission?

I see 5 lug wheels...what drivetrain are you using for the rear hubs? Subaru?

Jamar hubs and 300m stub axles. 930 cvs. Its a wide 5 pattern that they use on 1600 cars. I looked in to using a suby diffs but they don't really have anything geared low enough.

There are utility SxS's that use lawn tractor engines, like the Cub Cadet Volunteer with Kohler 20hp twin. They top out at ~25mph but are geared low and have locking differentials so it's actually pretty fun for woods riding. Forget about sand, though. You could buy a wrecked RZR or Rhino (or maybe a utility quad) and use the drivetrain from that for your home built frame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back