Pro Class in Baja...help!

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
UTV racing is growing by leaps and bounds, but we continue to be treated like a joke in Baja. SCORE so far has refused to create a 'Pro Class' for UTV's and until they do so we will continue to be treated like the 'junior varsity' or worse. But, in Best In The Desert we are growing, getting faster and certainly we are WAY more reliable than in the past.

I do not want to take even one entry away from BITD racing, but I would love to get the 'Baja cred' that we deserve by having a UTV Pro Class. There is a SCORE Utility ATV Pro Class...so why not us?

So this is what I am proposing. Please email Sal Fish at SCORE with your support of creating this class. The UTV industry is now twice the size of the ATV industry and we have earned this and deserve this. You don't have to be a UTV racer to email, you can be fan, an enthusiast, aftermarket, OEM, etc.

Here is Sal's email address. It is on the SCORE website...so I am not giving out private info. salFish@score-international.com

I sincerely appreciate any and all help here. Post up after you have emailed.

(...and BTW, I don't care if we start dead last in SCORE events...as long as they acknowledge us as a 'Pro' class)

Maybe because we have 3-4 entries in class 18?!? More enteries and SCORE might take it more seriously. I'd love to see more on the course!

from my awesome HTC on Verizon

Maybe because we have 3-4 entries in class 18?!? More enteries and SCORE might take it more seriously. I'd love to see more on the course!

True...but there was zero entries in class 26 before they created the Pro Utility ATV class. So AZ Amsoil...did you email Sal? You can help make this happen.

I'll email him, but until the numbers show up its a mute point. What are you looking pro in a pro class? Higher starting position?

I'll email him, but until the numbers show up its a mute point. What are you looking pro in a pro class? Higher starting position?

Chicken or the egg. Nobody is going to race Baja in a UTV when it is a 'sportsman' class. Make it the real deal and the numbers will come. Read my post...I don't care if we start last, but how do you get media exposure, cred, etc if we don't count...aka 'sportsman.' Yes...please, email Sal.

I agree. I'am considering racing the 1000 in 2014 but there is now way I want to put out that kind of money to run sportsman. :mad: With it growing so much in BITD I would think that Sal would want to embrase this new op.

I agree. I'am considering racing the 1000 in 2014 but there is now way I want to put out that kind of money to run sportsman. :mad: With it growing so much in BITD I would think that Sal would want to embrase this new op.

All it takes is emailing Sal. OC1...did you send your thoughts?

:)

Email sent...now have a beer with me at contingency, or better yet, ill buy you a beer and if you need help, my pit will be open (as long as our cars aren't already there)...I think Baja is perfect for UTVs!

How will calling it Pro change the class? There is 4-5 entries so there is no money to be won so are you looking for a better starting position?

How will calling it Pro change the class? There is 4-5 entries so there is no money to be won so are you looking for a better starting position?

Trust me if Best In the Desert was only a 'sportsman' class then it wouldn't be the kick azz class that it is today. Baja is baja... but who wants to race sportsman...aka 'doesn't matter.'

So Tatum you are not going to email Sal because of...why?

Guys...read the previous posts (post #5 and before) I don't care if we start last. Yes Pro=$$ but who cares. As they said in D2G 'it is about pride and glory...not money.' So if it remains sportsman...low entries, if it goes pro...higher entries. Dakar costs $30k to enter, and they will get more entries this year than we get in Baja for $3k. Why...it is a real class (aka Pro in DAKAR)!!!

Use your influence with all the "pro" teams and get them to race Baja and Sal will make the class.Sal will make a class for anyone but very few racers are taking the time and spending the money to race.The entry fee is less than the fuel bill if you plan on pre running.

E-mail sent.I promised you would be their for the 1000 so dont let me down.J/K

So I'm one of the "doesn't matter" people. It isn't the "clout" of being a "pro" racer that keeps me from racing with SCORE, it's the high entry fees. That's why I choose to race Sportsman in BITD. I don't think I'm unimportant or not good enough. I think I save enough money from 2 races to race a 3rd. I know entry fees will never go down, so I will probably never get to race Baja unless I team up with another team.

It would be worth teaming up with 2 other teams if you had to.Spend at least a week down there and pre run your sections at least once.When you go through contingency the locals will treat you like a rockstar and will want your autograph.If you hand out stickers it will be like you are handing out money and you will love the experience.If calling it a Pro class will improve the entries then I am all for it but to me the name doesnt matter.

If your on the fence about racing Baja: use Baja pits, Mag-7, Mocos Locos, Pork Pits, ect and your logistics go WAY DOWN. They are spaced ~55 miles apart and will haul all your crap around Mexico (at the pits you assign). There are very few places during the race that you won't find people around, its one of the best parts about racing in Mexico. You'll be out in the middle of nowhere and a family will come bouncing up a road (you struggled in a 4x4 on) ready to setup camp a watch the race. Some of the best tacos I've had were exchanged for a steeeecker and some stories!

You can also volunteer with any of the said pay to pit services to get a feeling about racing in Mexico. It will be an experience you'll never forget, along with helping those in the race.

I know Cognito has racing baja on the "bucket list" I am sure Justin will put an email together. I honnestly have my doubts about going. I have heard far too many horror stories and unless I have a way to protect myself I am almost un interested:(

All it takes is emailing Sal. OC1...did you send your thoughts?

:)

Of course!;) I wouldn't have posted otherwise. Thanks for getting this out there. Racing Baja in Utv is much more likely for me than a Trophy truck unless my Power Ball ticket hits.:rolleyes:

I know Cognito has racing baja on the "bucket list" I am sure Justin will put an email together. I honnestly have my doubts about going. I have heard far too many horror stories and unless I have a way to protect myself I am almost un interested:(

I'm not say bad things don't happen down there but I don't think your chances are any greater than they are here. I've been going down for the SF250 for the last 3 years and man is it fun. I want to race it so bad it hurts. The majority of the stories I hear involve people being really really stupid. Not say that bad things don't ever happen to good people but I personally try to keep it real and I've never even had an incadent were I even felt uncomfortable. Go down with a group and it will become one of your fondest memories.

We have raced SCORE for years. The 250, 500 and 1000. I would love to see more UTV's down there competing, but the fees and logistics of the events are very challenging. In the end the experience and event itself are what it is about to us. The same as it was to the Class 11 cars. Sal is a great guy and I am sure that if numbers dictated he would create more classes, but as stated the numbers just arent there.

BTW I will take any unwanted beers at contingency... and look forward to seeing any and all of you at the 1000 this year. We MAY even have multiple new ALBA cars this November at the starting line...

Nate
Alba Racing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back