Please help...Knocking from clutch...

VBosch02

I have a 2011 rzr s and I have a knocking sound that I figured out is coming from my clutch. Well it’s coming from my clutch rubbing on the Plastic dust cover around it. Why would this all of the sudden happen? I hadn’t removed the cover ever before this. When I remove the cover and start the car no problem. If the cover is on It knocks until I bring the RPM up just a little bit pulling the clutch away from the cover. Any ideas on why this might be happening or what I can do to fix this? I'm thinking the main center bolt might have backed out a little. But I have never worked on the clutch befoe and don't want to do anything to jack it up further. Any help would be awesome. :confused::confused::confused:
Ryan

Are you sure it's the clutch hitting the cover or is it the belt? You can check the torque on the center bolts, the Primary (Engine) should be 45 ftlbs and the Secondary should be 16 ftlbs. You will have to stick a long bar through the primary to keep it from spinning while you torque it.
As the belt wears and stretches it will slap the inside of the cover comming off the throttle just before it disengages. Also inspect your belt really good, mine started de- laminating last trip and was slapping the cover. Sounds to me like ya need a new belt.:D

Are you sure it's the clutch hitting the cover or is it the belt? You can check the torque on the center bolts, the Primary (Engine) should be 45 ftlbs and the Secondary should be 16 ftlbs. You will have to stick a long bar through the primary to keep it from spinning while you torque it.
As the belt wears and stretches it will slap the inside of the cover comming off the throttle just before it disengages. Also inspect your belt really good, mine started de- laminating last trip and was slapping the cover. Sounds to me like ya need a new belt.:D

I've checked the belt and I don't see any delamination. (I'm putting a new belt on tomorrow anyway) I do see some wear from the belt rubbing though. The thing about the noise is it only makes the noise at idel. Not when I'm on the gas or coming off of the gas. I can also feel by touch on the cover that it is the clutch rubbing. If I pull on the cover away from the motor it stops rubbing...

That's odd! If the center bolts are tight, there is no way the clutches can move outward toward the cover:confused: I'm wondering if one or more of the rear cover bolts have come loose allowing the cover to contact the shives? You can check the ones behind the secondary easy, with the belt off, remove the bolt in the center with a 1/2" socket and the secondary clutch will slide right off the shaft. You will then see the bolts holding the rear cover on. You will need a clutch puller to get the primary clutch off. There about $35 and here is a link to one. EPI POLARIS RZR 800 CLUTCH PULLER - ENGINE PERFORMANCE - RZR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back