Can-Am Overheating/mud

warpack

Having issues with radiator packing with mud and overheating (Limp Home Mode kicks in)

Any suggestions on preventing this?
Any shields that still let air by but block mud?
Carry a supersoaker squirt gun along to spray fins out once in awhile? LOL

Mud always a battle. On my XP they use a screen, oval holes cut out of sheet metal. I doubt there is any wind tunnel testing to the shape of the holes or science.

Don't know the CA but if you already have a screen you could put some finer wire mesh over it w/o hurting much if anything. The test to verify that would be your temp gauge. If you have room you might tie some wires normal to the mesh plane like a bob wire effect so as the mud packs on the wire brakes it up and makes it drop off under vibration easier. I have a more advanced design if you want to keep it up front that will keep mud off and increase air flow but it's a hassle to make. U want it let me know.

Best to relocate it behind you if in mud often like the racers do.

My brother mud bogged a commander for 2 yrs. they finally have up and relocated the radiator behind the cab to keep it out of the mud.

Can am's are bad for this. Relocate the radiator and use Engine Ice rad fluid. Make sure and clean the radiator real good. Problem solved.

If you don't want to relocate, I've seen people carry everything from squirt guns to pressurized fire extinguishers with water in them.

If you relocate in the front be prepared for heat blowing back in face. Also, I'm not a fan of relocating the rad, I would be cocerned about blowing a hose and being covered in scalding hot rad fluid. I would carry a 12v pressure washer for the trails and do a good clean out after ride.

From home depot you can buy this blue mesh thats a filter for air vents and just cut it to the size of your radiator If it throws a code from that being too packed tear it off and you have another couple hours before it gets packed again.

Radiator Power Washer $59.95

...includes a compact but high volume 12-volt pump, hose, pressure nozzle and all connections so that the ATV may be washed when driven into or near a stream or other pool of water. The pump is plugged in and dropped into the pool of water. Mud and dirt can be washed from a radiator, or oil cooler, the ATV, or the rider's clothes. Completely submersible, the pump is double-screened for debris and easily cleaned. Great for mud riders or those wanting to wash their ATV before loading or clean over-heated, mud-covered radiators.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back