Buckshot Commander Kit

Andrew is a bit of a perfectionist and will not leave anything alone until he makes it bullet proof. His kit performs much better than I thought given all the issues with the rear trailing arms these commanders are causing so many LT Kit manufacturers. The car at full speed hits incredible bumps, dips, and whoops and keeps tracking true. He did replace the Tie rods with bigger stronger rods because the stock ones are crap. We will be out in the desert this weekend (Jawbone) with some other commanders and UTV riders doing another video. If anyone has any questions call Andrew Buck at Buckshot Racing at 714-335-2825.

Here is what Andrew stated about his LT Kit:

"The stock sway bar is removed and new buckshot bar is added. The stock bar is located at the pivot of the trailing arm making for a high leverage ratio which means the bar must be very large and able to twist to high degree. On stock travel this is ok at best but on long travel the angle of the twist would be extreme. By moving the bar further back o the arm there is no need for such a heavy bar as the leverage ratio is almost one to one. This makes for a lighter setup and easier to tune and better longevity as the bar does work as hard. King shocks were selected for there robust design and external compression adjustment. They are also 8" travel shocks giving a shock ratio of 1.75 instead of 2.3 as the stock travel of 6" would have. Generally you never want to go over 2.0 ratio. The upper bushings and sleeves are to thin and have been cracking and ruining the plastic bushings. To solve this we use a .120 wall chromoly sleeve and a custom delrin buckshot bushings". Tie Rods were replaced due to the thin weak OEM rods. They will still give before the steering rack but not nearly as quick."

[ame=http://youtu.be/s4mnaCDg2Ms]YouTube - 14' Long Travel Kit on a Cannam By Buckshot Racing[/ame]

Attachments

• comparetierods.jpg
    comparetierods.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 112
  • frontsuspension.jpg
    frontsuspension.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 118
  • rearsuspension.jpg
    rearsuspension.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 110
  • rearsuspension2.jpg
    rearsuspension2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 125
  • rearsuspension3.jpg
    rearsuspension3.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 108
His kit is a +4 which was about 68 wide compared to his Teryx that is a +6 and is 72 wide. The commander absolutely blew his LT Kaw away in stability and handling. Neither one of us expected the LT kit on the commander to be that much better than the Kaw.

Looks like it handles great! Do you think the difference with the Cammander and Teryx handling are trailing arm design vs control arm?

His kit is a +4 which was about 68 wide compared to his Teryx that is a +6 and is 72 wide. The commander absolutely blew his LT Kaw away in stability and handling. Neither one of us expected the LT kit on the commander to be that much better than the Kaw.

Cool I was hoping it was not too wide cause you loose steering and nimbleness when you go to wide. Thats good that it blew the kawi away cause the commanders are sweet machines! Thanks for the info man.:D

This is awesome! I spoke with Andrew and it looks like we will be hooking up in the next week or so to test and shoot the new kit and do a UTVUnderground exclusive! Thanks for posting Michael Tom!

Rough terrain with huge desert whoops is a serious test for any suspension. Never thought I would see when the commander suspension maded my LT Rhino look like a toy...lol. Seriously the commander drives like a mini buggy over big as.. whoops and rough terrain now. It does not feel like a UTV with LT but a bigger heavier vehicle that really handles rough terrain with complete certainty and stability. I would advise anyone who really wants to seriously improve their performance of their commander to look at a kits that run longer 2.5 body shocks over the stock length shocks. The commander is heavy and when running hard and fast the short shocks work much too hard and fades too fast to give the performance of the longer bigger body shocks. Plus you will never get the travel out of the shorter shocks that the longer ones bring. Do your research carefully because getting the commander to REALLY perform in the suspension department is not easily given what the factory designed.
[ame=http://youtu.be/-IKkrtZtbsI]YouTube - Long Travel Kit- cannam.mov[/ame]

Michael, I hope that you didn't think I was implying that your long travel kit was not an improvement over stock Cammander Suspension, I was not. I can see it in no way handles like any stock Commander I have seen running in rough terain. From what I see, it handles better than any utv I have seen. I have never seen a Teryx handle like that EVER! I was just wondering what your thoughts were with such a big difference between your Commander kit and a Teryx long travel kit and If you can cotribute any of the Teryx issues with it being control arm rear compared to the Commander being trailing arm rear suspension. Thanks for any input.

Michael, I hope that you didn't think I was implying that your long travel kit was not an improvement over stock Cammander Suspension, I was not. I can see it in no way handles like any stock Commander I have seen running in rough terain. From what I see, it handles better than any utv I have seen. I have never seen a Teryx handle like that EVER! I was just wondering what your thoughts were with such a big difference between your Commander kit and a Teryx long travel kit and If you can cotribute any of the Teryx issues with it being control arm rear compared to the Commander being trailing arm rear suspension. Thanks for any input.
FAB I'm really not sure what caused the commander to blow the big bore Teryx +6 away in the huge whoops and turns with big whoops. Andrew's Big bore Teryx is fast and its LT is dial in but in the rough big whoops it is no match for the commander. When Andrew and I got back to camp we measured the width and length and the Teryx was 4 inches wider and the commander was only 2 inches longer. The conclusion that Andrew came to was that the A-arm design, shock placement, 8.5" 2.5 shocks over the Teryx 6" 2.0 shocks, trailing arm design and weight and power of the commander caused it to ride like a mini buggy instead of a UTV. I think the commander will easily keep up with his Bullet in Jawbone now. He of course thinks otherwise ...lol

Ha Ha, yea I bet he does. I guess you will see. Thanks for your insight. You guy's built an awesome setup and if I was a guy with a Cammander, l would be wanting 1 of those kits. Great work!

Andrew is a bit of a perfectionist and will not leave anything alone until he makes it bullet proof. His kit performs much better than I thought given all the issues with the rear trailing arms these commanders are causing so many LT Kit manufacturers. The car at full speed hits incredible bumps, dips, and whoops and keeps tracking true. He did replace the Tie rods with bigger stronger rods because the stock ones are crap. We will be out in the desert this weekend (Jawbone) with some other commanders and UTV riders doing another video. If anyone has any questions call Andrew Buck at Buckshot Racing at 714-335-2825.

Here is what Andrew stated about his LT Kit:

"The stock sway bar is removed and new buckshot bar is added. The stock bar is located at the pivot of the trailing arm making for a high leverage ratio which means the bar must be very large and able to twist to high degree. On stock travel this is ok at best but on long travel the angle of the twist would be extreme. By moving the bar further back o the arm there is no need for such a heavy bar as the leverage ratio is almost one to one. This makes for a lighter setup and easier to tune and better longevity as the bar does work as hard. King shocks were selected for there robust design and external compression adjustment. They are also 8" travel shocks giving a shock ratio of 1.75 instead of 2.3 as the stock travel of 6" would have. Generally you never want to go over 2.0 ratio. The upper bushings and sleeves are to thin and have been cracking and ruining the plastic bushings. To solve this we use a .120 wall chromoly sleeve and a custom delrin buckshot bushings". Tie Rods were replaced due to the thin weak OEM rods. They will still give before the steering rack but not nearly as quick."

YouTube - 14' Long Travel Kit on a Cannam By Buckshot Racing
WoW! Great action. Lookin good there. :)

Looks good Charles! I'll have to go out with you soon!

You should meet up with the guys in Jawbone next weekend. There are a group of them that will be bringing their Rhinos, commanders, and Teryxs for some rough fast riding over memorial weekend. Andrew will be dragging my commander and other with his kit on it out on Sat. I have other plans but you will have a good time with them.

You should meet up with the guys in Jawbone next weekend. There are a group of them that will be bringing their Rhinos, commanders, and Teryxs for some rough fast riding over memorial weekend. Andrew will be dragging my commander and other with his kit on it out on Sat. I have other plans but you will have a good time with them.

Maybe I will if I get my Gear one cages by then.

Chuck will distract her with his good looks and charm and I will jump in the drivers seat

I will treated it like a rental car :D

Well I guess if you wreck it you can explain to your wife why you just spend $30,000 on a wreck UTV and that we can't go on vacation for awhile....lol.

That is when I blame it on Chuck.

Seriously, let me know when you are down for a day ride or trip to Pismo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back