R1 Duner Rhino Build - Matt @ Rugged / S&G Motorsports

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Hey guys... long time coming on this post. As some of you know, Ive been planning a build for quite a while, and trying to squeeze it in between full time work at Rugged, full time school, doing a full house remodel and trying to run my own business, its tough!

Anyways, time to start a thread. Ive teamed up with Sean Gangi, the owner of S&G Motorsports in Nipomo, CA to build this for me. Weve used Sean for a variety of other projects, repairs and one off items and he has shown to be a top notch fabricator and have a great eye for design!

Check out his website to view some past projects and pics of his at Metal Fabricators Nipomo CA ( California ) - S&G Metal Fab Inc and if you could use his services in the Central Coast/Pismo area, hit him up! (805) 929-2223

CACHED_199796-1000-192.jpg

Anyways, this rhino started out as a new frame I purchased from a dealership in Utah. Was supposedly a new 08 frame....anyways. Greg was building a race rhino out of Jacob (Mopar_Enthusiast) s 700 frame and motor by Sean as well. Greg gave me all of the stock parts we pulled off of other rhinos here and the race rhino to equip my frame - so basically I had a rolling stock chassis to bolt an R1 and rear end to.

Plans changed, things got super busy, and Greg and I decided we dont have time to race a rhino in SoCal/Arizona. Basically, we swapped chassis. I now have (whats left of) Jacobs 700 frame and the race rhino chassis to put my R1 into. Whats nice is we dont have to be so concerned about building it to the letter of the law in the racing rulebooks, but can make it a badass light, wide, low and fast dune mobber!

So things were at a standstill for a while as we figured out what was going on, but we are now FULL STEAM AHEAD!

Some highlights of this build:

• S&G Motorsports +6 LongTravel Kit w/ Custom Shock Towers for Coilovers & Hydraulic Bumpstops
  • 2005 R1 Engine (with some things done :D )
  • Paddle Shifting
  • Yoshi - MiniBuggies Sprocket Rear End
  • 12 gallon fuel cell
  • Aluminum interior and exterior
  • Rugged 2 seat Ultimate DSP Intercom & Car to Car package
  • FAST Pumper System with CoolBox
  • Combination of HID and LED Lighting
  • 31" Paddles and smoothies for the sand, some sort of large wheel/street tire combo for cruisin around here :D
  • TONS MORE STUFF

So, here it is. Only picture I have of it right now really, its down at Seans shop and he had been waiting on the go ahead to really get moving with it. It should have almost a full upper cage on it by now! Hopefully he will chime in with some pics or he will email some to me and I will post.

Ill try and keep this thing updated as much as I can, may go down there later today to see how it is and deliver more parts.

Attachments

• r1rhino.jpg
    r1rhino.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 99
hey did you ever find a 02-03 motor? i would trade you my headers made to fit the rhino for the stock headers... i have an experament i am wanting to try... just pay the shipping...

hey did you ever find a 02-03 motor? i would trade you my headers made to fit the rhino for the stock headers... i have an experament i am wanting to try... just pay the shipping...

Im definitely down for that - the headers are for an 04-06 though. If that works for you let me know and Ill pay for shipping both ways.

As far as the Rhino... its out of S&G and back to Rugged!

Updates tomorrow with pics!

sounds good let me do some research and see if it will bolt up to my motor... does it have the exup valve still? mine does...

hey if you want to trade my address is
3297 indian springs ave
springdale AR 72762

if you want to give me your shipping address...
i have paypal if you want to pay for the shipping we have a deal... thanks man let me know....
also ant good deals on a set up for a rhino? my dad has the base camp radio from you kit we never installed would that work for my car to car? sorry to hijack...

What are you using for CV joints and micro stubs??

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, this Rhino is out of S&G Motorsports. I will be building this thing in house at Rugged with some new goodies we got the last few weeks at the shop.

I have enroute to me a Weller 04-06 R1 kit for this rhino, using their stubs, CVs, etc.

I am going to head to the shop in a bit and Ill get some pics for everyone... this thing is gonna take off come Monday! Enough fawkin around, time to ride!

hey if you want to trade my address is
3297 indian springs ave
springdale AR 72762

if you want to give me your shipping address...
i have paypal if you want to pay for the shipping we have a deal... thanks man let me know....
also ant good deals on a set up for a rhino? my dad has the base camp radio from you kit we never installed would that work for my car to car? sorry to hijack...

PM enroute - thanks.

Keep us updated. I'm very interested to see how the micro stubs will work. Seems like you'd need a center board hub kit to get the necessary cv angles or be limiting the rear travel a bunch. Let us know how much angle you end up with please.

BITCHIN GREG, WE WILL SEE YOU SHORTLY BEFORE GLAMIS

WOOOOHOOO!!!!!!!
BRMINC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back