mint 400 1957 sr1 (1st place) how much fun we had

noceros

1st off tech was off the chart, for anybody that want to start racing - don't be shy - was our 1st time man too cool. Race morning we walked a mile with our gear at 3am from the hotel down Freemont st to parking (people were still partying). got to the pits at 4:45, set up & lined up forgot to turn on the lights & gopro damnit. We hole shotted Allen & Cody (they stalled), hit the 1st turn almost ran into a tipped over jeep. good thing I put in a reversing box. Hit dust untill the street, sped up to 89 mph passed 3 utvs, when we hit the dry lake bed we were doing 75 mph on gps (dust again). Found out 40 miles into the race I needed more spring rate in the rear & more dampening all around. When we got to the pits Bobby's crew helped us gas up ( real nice guys).
Our 2nd lap noticed the eng cutting out (fuel pump). We got ramed by a 6000 lb truck at 50+ mph then he hit the horn (took out my rr fender). Did 83 mph on the street (weak shocks) when we hit the dirt we hit a huge rock in the middle of the track at about 50-60 mph(tacoed my bash plate, broke 1 of the over head light lens on impact , put us air born 2-3 ft high.). Pulled off & Tom checked it out (ok to go). We groomed the track for about 30 miles or so(centered section) like dragging an anchor until we bent it into a u shape. Got stopped by some guy (thought was an official) & took 2 gals of coolant to a jeep 3 miles up the track. I had to slow down - the coolant was beating the sh out of Tom. Passed the last trophy lite at the woops & fuel pump failed on the last hill 50 yards from the finish. Came alive & we finished. Stalled 50 ft after the finish, I walked a mile to the pits for help. The car came alive 1/2 hr later, Tom drove back. Thanks for reading tooooo much fun. Rich

Awesome recap!
Are you going to race the SS300?
What was your top speed...86?

Not going to make the ss300.
We hit 89 mph on gps had more to go. I suspect we can hit 95 maybe 100. Never maxed the belt or rpm yet.

[ame="http://youtu.be/HTwhWfziaKI"]rx1 rhino holeshot - YouTube[/ame]
HTwhWfziaKI

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back