1991 DSR1 Mint 400 Report & VIDEOS

cfyca

After a long winter in Utah, we decided to pack our DSR1 down to Vegas again to try and redeem ourselves after racing 7 miles in the Mint last year before having problems. We elected to run Sportsman as it is a couple hundred cheaper and we missed Parker so the points didn't really mean anything.

We started 2nd from dead last in the Sportsman class, which started behind the Jeepspeeds. Had I known they were going to put the Jeepspeeds between the Pro and Sportsman UTVs we may have re-thought the couple hundred bucks, oh well.

We had a great start and the car ran killer. It took a minute to get the feel for the car as it hasn't been in the dirt since probably July of last year, but by race mile 20 we were moving through the desert pretty good.

I think by around race mile 60 we had made our way past the rest of the Sportsman UTVs, a lot of the Jeepspeeds, and based on the lap times were probably really close to first overall on corrected time; until I found one of the rocks with the right front tire and KO'd the rim and the rear brake caliper. This took 12-15mins. to get the tire changed and the rear brakes tied up so we didn't destroy them even more. For the remaining 140ish miles we ran with only front brakes, which were soft and sketchy at best.

The rest of the first lap went trouble free and we were able to hit 100mph on the GPS going across the lake bed toward Pit B. Pretty cool in a UTV!!

In the pit we got a new spare, a swallow of water, then took off. Everything went trouble free until that damn area of race mile 60ish. We had caught another car and I was probably pushing it too hard for as well as I could see in their dust and found another rock.. probably the same rock :mad: We weren't sure if the tire was flat and decided to carry on to a smoother section until we could tell for sure. Around race mile 70ish the car sputtered and died.

It has an aux. fuel pump but it requires getting out and switching a valve, so we jumped out to switch the valve and sure enough the tire was flat too. After another 15mins. or so we were moving again but without a spare tire. When we got to the dry lake bed heading toward pit B I got up to 85mph or so then the car started pulling hard to the left. Slowed it down and the driver's side rear tire was flat now! Shizzzz. No more spares.

Our DSR1 runs VW wide 5 hubs on it, so we rolled into pit B and prayed to find someone just hanging out with a spare for a 1600 car or something. Luckily we found a dude with a spare 32" yokohama! Put that thing on the front, and we were cruising to the finish line..

Overall it was a killer day, we finished 2nd in Sportsman behind the Rockstar girls and I think 7th overall in the UTV's.

Huge thanks to Bazurk Industries for the graphics on the car. They allow you to create your own custom stickers for a variety of things such as helmets right on their website, check them out at www.GoBazurk.com

Huge thanks to Liquid Image for hooking us up with their Ego cameras. Their clarity and sound quality is unreal, and they are supporting our sport. GoPro doesn't even compare! Check them out at www.liquidimageco.com

Now for the fun stuff.. The first shows the start and a few highlights from the first 15 miles or so.

The second shows some passing and crossing one of the dry lake beds at 95mph.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_H7ESosF_Y"]2013 Mint 400 DSR1 UTV - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhCgb4ogoUE"]2013 Mint 400 DSR1 UTV - YouTube[/ame]

The car is also FOR SALE. It will be posted in the classified section soon. PM me for more details.

Great Video. You guys racing the SS or Vegas to Reno? We were really disappointed to miss the Mint but should be at the rest. I would really like to see more numbers in the Dsr1 class. I know that there isn't much in factory support but the class should be really fast once everbody gets them dependable.

Thanks! We had an awesome time... I don't think we are going to make it to SS, and V2R is going to depend on if we still have the car and how much help we can recruit for support.

The DSR1 cars are fast, really fast. Like you said it is just going to take everyone a little time to get their bugs worked out and the cars dependable.

Man the car you are building is crazy!! I am stoked to see how the solid rear axle works out.. I checked out your FB and scrolled through the build pics, it is awesome. Not sure how you are setup with graphics and what not, but I own a graphic design and printing company and would love to help you add some pop to it. Just shoot me a PM if you ever need anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avakalanaya
Back